Search

staying or going

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
staying or going

Another hurricane on the horizon.What do you think this will do to florida real estate?Also how many people will move out after this nasty hurricane season,Thinking that they will be safer somewhwere else.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 12:50 PM

I have lived in South Florida for 49 years it is my home. I have been through many hurricanes including Andrew that put 5 feet of water in my house. We rebuilt as did everyone else.As far as our real estate the prices just keep going up. We all know what chances we take living here, but nothing will push me out of my state. We travel all over the world and there is nothing like living South Florida!
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 12:56 PM
GoTravel

I think everyone will pack up and leave Florida. It will become a barren empty place.

Just joshing. Who knows? The old timers have been through this before and know it is is price you pay.

I think it may stop the skyrocketing real estate prices but they will continue rise just not as fast.

Oceanfront property is finite. Once it is gone, it is gone.

Old Sep 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM

I am a 5th generation Floridian. We live on the west coast about 50 miles north of Clearwater. My front yard looks onto the Gulf of Mexico. I would NEVER dream of living anywhere else.

I was looking on a site today that listed all of the destructive hurricanes that dated all the way back to the 1900's. In 1965 Hurricane Betsy entered New York with hurricane force winds.

I think some people will leave after this season...but I doubt it will lower market values.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 01:13 PM

AAACCCKKK!!!! I got the wrong hurricane. It wasn't Betsy. Now I can't find that site to correct this. Will report back when I find it!
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Sorry about that. It was Donna in 1960.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 01:32 PM
dcespedes

For those who choose to stay I wonder how long will the rebuilding process take? My in-laws lost their home during Andrew and it took well over a year for them. While waiting to rebuild they commuted nearly two hours, each way, to their respective jobs. As is true for so many others Florida is their home and home is where they'll stay. I am impressed by the Floridian fortitude!

Old Sep 10th, 2004, 03:14 PM

So far, as much as I am whining about hurricanes and heat, we are staying.

Regarding real estate prices, all it takes is a really long cold winter and people up North forget all about hurricanes and just want to live somewhere warm and sunny.
I never thought about Andrew when we bought our house.
The only thing that will cause us to move is an offer we can't refuse
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 03:19 PM

We live in a suburb south of Jacksonville on the coast and we've lived in a lot of different places, but we hope to be here forever. We love it here.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Stay your ground, Floridians! We here in California have heard this after each and every apocalyptic Act of Nature: floods, fires, mudslides, earthquakes, "The Anna Nicole Show"....

The strong always stay. The weak pack up and move somewhere else. No thank you, I'll take Mother Nature's caprices over the horrible winters, crushing boredom year-round and provincial small-mindedness I'd have to contend with if I still lived where I grew up.

And you heard it here first!
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:08 PM
GoTravel

Is any location safe from all natural disasters?

Volcanos in the Pacific rim along with tidal waves, Earthquakes up and down the West Coast and Alaska, Typhoons in the Pacific Rim, Tornados in middle America, hurricanes and tornados in the east and southeast, blizzards in the north....

Who's safe?

Did anyone realize that Charleston South Carolina sits on a fault line and there was a huge earthquake there in the 1800s and the aftershocks were felt all the way to Bermuda and Maine?

Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:18 PM

A friend of mine always says, "Every good day above ground is a good day." Natural disasters and all....
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 05:26 PM

"Another hurricane on the horizon.What do you think this will do to florida real estate?"
Well, we have 3 units on the beach that are on the market as of last Friday (when Frances came by). A lady just flew down to look at them today, and decided on the top floor unit, north corner. And, no, we didn't give her a distress price either. Market value.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Well Buckeyemom, maybe that bright eyed person never had to face an "unnatural" disaster like the Anna Nicole show. . .
Good one, fjw_lgb_cal. Now that's what I call a major disaster!