Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Staying in Sarasota, flying out of Tampa-worth an overnight in Tampa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be staying at the RC in Sarasota in January for 5 nights, but will fly in and out of Tampa.

Since I depart Tampa at 6 a.m. the last day, should I spend the last night there?

The real question: Is Sarasota a nicer place to spend my last day/night or does Tampa have something fabulous to offer? (I'll be with my college-age daughter.)
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Those 6 AM flights are brutal.
Did it once, never again.

To me it is not a question of which place has more to offer, but what time will I have to get up on that last day? Sarasota adds an hour plus to your day, plus if you're reserving a shuttle service they pick you up insanely early when traveling this distance.

In a perfect world, I'd either change my flight or book a room at the Airport Marriott, literally connected to TPA. From there you could taxi to International Plaza for shopping and dining, have a restful last evening, check out at 4:30 and walk right over to the terminal.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM

I could never get up in the middle of the night to drive from Sarasota to Tampa in time to board a plane at 6am. I always just Priceline a Tampa airport area hotel for the last night when I have early flights out of Tampa.

I do like Sarasota better but I know it better so I'm not much help.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Since you're a Ritz Carlton type person, I'd book a room at the Hyatt Westshore (is that the right name?) very close to the Tampa airport and spend my last evening having a wonderful dinner at their Armani's restaurant looking at the sunset, then go to bed. The alarm will ring early enough as it is to get to the nearby airport. In fact, if you're renting a car, I'd consider turning it in on arrival in Tampa the day before, and just take a shuttle or taxi to the airport on the departure morning.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:45 PM
OO

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, Neo. I was thinking the same thing...now that you said it I guess I can add that's a good choice for someone coming from RC. It's 5-10 minutes from the airport and a very pretty property. If you are going to have to leave Sarasota early, at least leave early for a nice hotel. It's on Tampa Bay momof2, with two really good, if pricey, restaurants--Oystercatchers, casual, Armani's more formal and both with fabulous views in the evening of the sun setting across Tampa Bay.

You have your choice of hotel tower or casitas, further out in the property (connected by boardwalk). Try for a Bay view room in either the tower or casita.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Never get that name right!
But it is the only property in the area that won't seem like a downer after staying at the Ritz. And a meal at Armani's just may top any meal you'll find in Sarasota. (At least I hope that's still true. I haven't been there for awhile).
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Looks like I'm either changing flights or booking at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay.
Thank you!