Search

Star Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Search

I feel a little embarrassed posting this, but my 14-year-old daughter and I will be visiting L.A. for the first time in May, and she has her heart set on seeing some celebrities. Is this very likely (I don't want to spend more than one day indulging this request), and what areas/places would one have the best chance of spotting someone famous, anyway?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Sunnyboy

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to spotting celebrities since I've never seen any in my 5 trips to the city. Given the fact that there are 3.5 million people living in LA and 11.5 million in the entire metropolitan area your chances of running into a celebrity while walking about town are slim. Perhaps if you took a tour of one of the major studios you might see one of the lesser stars. Maybe other contributors here can give you some other hints.

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:11 PM

It's not likely, but your chances might improve if, say, there's a star dedication on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, or maybe a big movie première. You might also hit some of the eateries that famous types are said to frequent (Ivy, Il Fornaio in Beverly Hills-- I saw Neal Diamond, of all people, lunching there one weekend), or some of the shopping areas (Century City, Beverly Center, even the cliché of Rodeo Drive). But once the cameras are off, they're just normal people, so gawking is not a good thing.

I've seen some famous people over the years, but I don't go out of my way for it. Time was when I'd see our current governor driving his Hummer (they were very rare back then) around Santa Monica. I recently passed Britney Spears on the street outside my office-- she was leasing a condo next door. But that's it for recently....
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:13 PM

One suggestion, rather than wait around somewhere for a sighting, take her on the Warner Brothers tour. Double check on age but I think she can get in. There is a very good chance you could see someone on the lot (we saw Sinbad outside) and we were lucky enough to see a taping of Friends in it's final season! They take you on sets (more than likely the Gilmore Girls) but you literally are standing in the sets. It was a pretty good tour.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Lenleigh's idea is a great one.

Universal Studios is another but although more theme park than actual studio tour.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:37 PM
kkj

I, too, have done the Warner Brothers Studio Tour and saw a lot of celebrities. However, the TV series show tapings will be over when you visit. It is a nice tour. You don't see tapings you see rehearsals of the show. Tapings are by ticket and are a separate event.

Check the web site for Audiences Unlimited and perhaps there is a pilot being taped while you are there. Also contact the Tonight Show and see about tickets. Stroll along Rodeo Drive and check out the celebrities shopping. Park yourself outside the Ivy Restaurant. They seem to get celebrities every day for lunch. CBS soap stars go to Farmer's Market for lunch. Check the tabloids for names of places that seem to pop up over and over again and go there. Look in the trade publications like Variety for news about any premiers and go stand outside. Drive up to Malibou and wander the beach. The beaches are public access. If you buy a star's home map, I believe the access to the beach is by David Geffen's home. (I could be wrong on that, but it will be marked.) Also you might see someone coming out of Ralph's Supermarket in Malibou.

Good luck and let us know if you see anyone.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:46 PM

A friend of mine had lunch at the Ivy and saw 3-4 tables with celebrities during her lunch. It will be an expensive lunch, though!
I agree with trying the Tonight Show--we had a great time and it's nice to be in the room with a star or two.
We didn't see anyone famous on Rodeo Dr., but we did see a dedication at Mann's where Ron Howard was getting his star...if there is a schedule for that kind of thing it would be a good place to go.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:52 AM

We went to The Tonight Show twice and I think you have to be at least 16-18 to get in. Just an FYI.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 06:55 AM

I took my daughter to LA to see famous people and there are 2 places I would suggest:
1. Stay at the Regent Beverly Wilshire or the Four Seasons Beverly Hills. We have seen -so many- celebrities at these hotels. Just have a cup of coffee in the lobby and watch. Evening events seem to attract celebrities, too. The bar at the FS always had one or two (or more) over the course of the evening.
The other place is Malibu. We always have a coffee at the shop next to Ralph's then we go to this shopping complex that has a park in the middle. Saw a bunch there! Also, there is a pet shop in Malibu where she saw Nicole Richie.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Last month in Beverly Hills, we saw Emilio Estevez on department store row in BH - shopping with friends, Kate Hudson by the pool and John Lovitz in the lobby of the Beverly Hills Hotel. Samuel Jackson driving down Rodeo in his convertible Rolls. This was within a 3 day span.