SF/LA visit for a teenager

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I'm a San Franciscian, I need some help! My 17 year old Goddaughter is coming to visit me for a month from Slovakia. (She speaks English) I know all of the SF typical things to take her to do, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that a teenager might enjoy. (I'm not used to being around kids that age, so I might be missing out on some fun things for her) She likes to go dancing, are there any safe, under 21 places for kids in the city? Any special places, restaurants, etc. that those of you with teenagers can recommend? This is her first trip to America.

Also....we will be driving to LA for three days. I plan to show her the Hollywood sign, walk of fame, rodeo drive, melrose ave, venice beach, pink's hot dogs.....does anyone have any other suggestions? She wants to see the "famous" places that her friends will recognize when she goes home. What about the hollywood maps of stars homes (I'll have my car) are they worth it? Also, given the above, any suggestions on the best area to stay? I don't know the area very well, I only know Marina Del Rey from a few visits to a friend who used to live there.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help! I want to make her trip very special, educational, fun and memorable.

Andiamo
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM

As for LA, I'd stay in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills Adjacent(by the Beverly Center). Both are good places for celebrity citings, trendy shopping and being with other teens (if she's interested in that). There are quite a few hotels by the Beverly Center (Le Meridien, Sofitel). Staying by the Beverly Center is a nice, central location. It is easy to get to other places from there.

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Never stayed at the Le Meridien, but it looks pretty good. But the Sofitel, oh the Sofitel!
If the one in NY is 5 stars, this one is definitely 3 stars at the most.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:55 AM
MaureenB

Personally, I'd skip the walk of stars because Hollywood Blvd is in dire need of a facelift-- in fact it's being done in stages. We went to Musso and Frank's two weeks ago and that block is really a dump. (Although the venerable old Musso and Frank's is still great.)
For a teen, I'd suggest walking UCLA and Westwood for the campus feel. Then go up to Malibu and/or Zuma Beach. Have a meal at the Chart House or Moonbeams, to sit at the waterside. Check out the Beverly Hills Hotel. Drive Sunset Boulevard and Sunset Strip.
We got tickets to The Tonight Show and that was a lot of fun for us and our teenage son. If you have enough time, you can order them via the mail and avoid the long lines we endured. Just Google and see what the deadline is-- I think it's at least two months in advance for mail order. It's fun and probably something her friends back home would recognize. Tickets are free. (If she likes music, the band plays great sets during commercials plus they should have a music guest.)
For teen food, try the Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset.
We stayed at Century City Westin and found its location to be central for our sights. (We didn't do Disney or Universal.) It's a very nice hotel, especially with the weekend breakfast package. Valet parking is $18/day, though.
Maybe visit Will Rogers Park and catch a polo match.
Lots to do in three days.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Tess

What a great godmother you are!!!!

We've done both the self-guided Hollywood tour of homes thing and the two-hour guided Starline tour. The guided tour is SO worth the money. Our guide had all sorts of fun facts and info that made it an entertaining few hours. They use a van so it's not like you're cruising Hollywood in a Greyhound type bus

I guess I'd have to both disagree and agree with Maureen's take on Hollywood Blvd. It's been cleaned up a bunch the past couple of years and I think your goddaughter would love seeing the Walk of Stars and the Chinese Theater. I'm not sure how old you have to be to get tickets for Jimmy Kimmel Live (he tapes from the El Capitan on Hollywood Blvd) but I know my 16 year old watches Jimmy K. and he would think seeing him live would be the epitome of cool. I'm trying to remember the name of the website that lists the dates when celebrities unveil their stars on the Walk--she might like that.

Okay, I'm back. I just checked and the website is seeing-stars.com. Have fun!

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 09:15 AM

I'd also disagree with most of Maureen's suggestions.. they seemed not so much designed for the teenagers as for the grandparents! I would definitely throw in a visit to one of the beach communities. Malibu would be a good choice for star-spotting, Manhattan Beach or Laguna Beach would also be pleasant. Stay in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills are. Century City has nothing to offer, other than proximity to the shopping center, but it's a suburban office center more than anything else.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Tess

Forgot to mention--we stayed at the Hollywood Renaissance (connected to the Hollywood and Highland shopping complex, which includes the Kodak Theatre) and it's a perfect spot for teens. The rooftop pool is great and you're literally steps away from Hollywood Blvd. Our room looked out over the Hollywood sign in the hills--pretty impressive sight if you're a teen (or a 43 year old Mom )

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:33 AM
MaureenB

The Jimmy Kimmel Show and most of the sitcoms have a minimum age of 18. And they do check IDs. But The Tonight Show is minimum 16. There's a comprehensive website, but I have misplaced the URL-- just Google. We easily got tickets for the new Bernadette Peters Show, min. age 16, but we didn't go in favor of Jay Leno.
My suggestions weren't for grandparents (Sunset Strip??)-- they are actually based on a trip we made last week with our 16 year old! I suggest Century City only because the Westin is a great value and the location is close to the sights I mentioned.
I did suggest beaches, both Malibu and Zuma. If your teen wants to try surfing, Zuma is a good beginners' spot and you can easily and cheaply ($21) rent a board and wetsuit there for a half-day, at a shop across from the beach. (Don't know what month you'll be there, though.)
There could be some all ages shows at Sunset Strip places like The Roxy, but then she has no one to go in with, as it would be so uncool to go in with an adult! Same problem we had when there with our son.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're visiting during the summer, get tickets for a night at the Hollywood Bowl. Although most nights the music is classical, there are other programs with more general appeal (i.e., music from the movies, jazz, etc.). You can take a picnic (many restaurants offer Bowl picnics) or buy something there.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Wow, this is fabulous, keep the ideas coming! You are all helping so much!!! I really appreciate it. I should have mentioned that my Goddaughter is coming from June 21 till July 21. We haven't decided the definite dates to go to LA since we will drive and don't need to make air reservations.

Also, I'm 40, but a young 40. In fact, my Goddaughter (17) tells me that she usually acts older than I do!

Tess: thanks for the great compliment! I enjoy being her godmother...but we're also like best friends. I know we will both enjoy each other's company. Glad to hear the guided tour was fun. Do you remember which company you used? How much time does it take? I'm guessing about 4 hours? Does that seem right?

I think I have to take her to the Walk of Fame (the sidewalk stars) regardless of the state of disrepair. It's something she wants to see.

I am taking care of all her expenses while she is here, but I have a back injury and I'm on disability. So, I'm looking for a hotel convienent to where we want to go, but also something affordable and safe.

I thought about Jay Leno...good idea to order tickets early. I don't think other shows will be taping during the time we are there. Plus, I believe watching a sitcom taping takes up most of a day. If we get a good hotel deal, we could always stay 4 days instead of 3.

Thank you everyone for your fantastic advice. Keep it coming, it really helps!!!!
Andiamo

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Tess, reviewing the messages, you said it was a Starline Tour that was 2 hours. Sorry to seem like a flake in my response to you!!!!
Andiamo
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:35 PM

Hi andiamo, your lucky Goddaughter. I had a Godmother like you! I miss her so much. She was one of my best friends and we were so close.

I don't really have a lot to add to the suggestions you have received but just wanted to wish the both of you a wonderful time together. And I can assure you it will be a trip your Goddaughter will remember forever. Happy travels!
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Tess

andiamo,

Starline's website (starlinetours.com) will highlight all of the different tours--we did the Movie Stars' Homes tour--it was $35 apiece. We left from the Chinese theater and just walked over from our hotel. In addition to showing us where stars lived, our guide also took/pointed out a bunch of other Hollywood/Beverly Hills trivia and highlights. It was such a touristy thing to do and so much fun!

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly,
(by the way, me too!) Just wanted to say thank you for the really nice words you said about me and my Goddaughter. She is amazing, and I can't wait to spend time with her. She is really looking forward to her trip. Thanks for the wishes!!!!

And Tess....thank you for the Starline info! Sorry to be a flake earlier Appreciate the details, I definitely think we'll fit this into our plans!

Andiamo
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Just wanted to "second" the tour of LA idea. Our teens really enjoyed the Hollywood trivia and anecdotes, and we loved not having to find parking all over town! Get the one that includes the stars' neighborhood. They also loved the Warner Bros Studio Tour. Lots of familiar TV and movie places to see there!

One word about "clubs." All the European exchange students in our high school are very bored by our small town nightlife. I don't know about the cities, but under 21 clubs are few and far between in our area - and they are not the kind places she'd probably be used to (ours are seedy). I don't think I'd recommend her going alone.

As for restaurants: in LA, I think she'd enjoy the Champs Elysees Cafe for breakfast, and Warsawa for dinner. Warsawa is wonderful, the owners are lovely, and she'd probably get a kick out of ordering for you! My teens loved the Fog City Diner in SF, and also big ice cream sodas at Ghiradelli Chocolates. A small fortune, but such fun!

Another thought: since it's her first trip to America, I don't know if perhaps she's ever visited a Disney park. It might be fun to spend an extra night in LA or Anaheim, especially if she enjoys "rides" or roller coasters. Especially if you include California Adventure, she might get a kick out of comparing the Disney version to the real thing. Just don't go on a weekend - way too crowded.

Oh - and my teens, especially my 15 year old daughter, loved Sonoma. In particular the Benzinger tram tour and their biodynamic "farming" was very interesting to both kids, they loved the scenery, and she enjoyed visiting an olive oil distributer (taste tests and all!).

I'm sure she'll have a wonderful time just visiting with you. You're just about as close as one can have to a "Fairy Godmother!" Have fun!

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Dreamer 2,
Before I forget, thank you for the last two sentences in your post. You brought tears to my eyes. It meant a lot. Thank you!

Thanks for the advice on the tours. I think that is something she would really enjoy.

I had the same thoughts about clubs over here for her. I know in Europe they are much more plentiful.

About Disneyland, I thought about it. But, she hasn't mentioned it, and with my back injury, I can't ride the rides or even stand in the lines with her, so it might not be that much fun for her.

Great ideas about Sonoma. You know, I'm from a wine family, so usually, my thoughts go to wine activities...so I love your ideas of olive oil tastings, etc. Thanks so much!

Thanks again for the kind words.
Andiamo