Search

St Pete's Beach

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2019, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Pete's Beach

Going in early July, looking for beachfront recommendations. 250-300 tops.
Looking at Don Cesar's, but also looking at downtown, I know it's across the city, at Vinoy? Any opinions are appreciated!
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 10:57 AM

Look a little further South in Pass-a-Grille. Beautiful area for wwalking with nice little shops and restaurants and many small homes and cottages to rent.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Best walkability?

Is Pass-a-Grille too far south? Or is every area in that vicinity nice?
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 12:40 PM

Not sure of the question. Too far South for what? What kind of trip or vacation are you seeking? Pass-a-Grille has everything you might want for a beach vacation. On the Other hand, I personally actually like further North, Clear Water, for the wide, wide beaches.
If you want a more upscale, hotel style, vacation, then Pass-a-Grille does not work. It is really a beach town, small with actual sidewalks, ice-cream and candy shops, lots of smallish restaurants, etc. you will see families with kids, even in strollers. The beach is very nice, lots of space, not crowded.
It seems an elegant hotel might be more for you. The Vinoy is beautiful. I have seen only the outside of Don Cesar's, but the beach is lovely. I suggested Pass-a-Grille for the budget if a hotel is not a must.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 12:09 PM

If the beach is secondary, and walkability is the priority, we highly recommend the Vinoy. It is bayside, facing a marina not a beach. There is a small beach north of the hotel. But St. Pete, once a punch line for geriatric jokes on Johnny Carson, has become one of the nicest cities in Florida. World class museums (art gallery, Dali Museum, new western art museum and massive Arts & Crafts museum under construction). New Pier coming in the fall to replace the city's iconic pier. Major league baseball (and you might be competing for space from visiting teams almost all of whom stay at the Vinoy). The waterfront is largely a series of public parks from where you can regularly see pelicans, dolphins and an occasional manatee. Loads of good restaurants and European style sidewalk dining. St. Pete Beach from my perspective is more concrete and more about the beach. Passe-a-Grille a less spoiled expanse of beach, less lodging options. Sand Key just south of Clearwater Beach was once favorite of ours if the beach experience is your primary goal.

Last edited by whitehall; Mar 5th, 2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 08:18 AM

BTW, where are you coming from? I assume you do realize that the beaches will be nearly unbearably hot there in July and August.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
BTW, where are you coming from? I assume you do realize that the beaches will be nearly unbearably hot there in July and August.
Having spent many many days on the beaches of St. Pete Beach in July and August I can tell you that yes it is hot (it's Florida, it's summer) but it is far from unbearable. You see there is this huge expanse of water called the Gulf of Mexico that you can just walk right into and cool off. There is also almost always a sea breeze. You will also be treated to some amazing sunsets (I still marvel at them). Enjoy!! We love St. Pete Beach.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 10:52 AM

Downtown
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 09:38 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Another fan of Pass-a-grille here if you like quiet, laid back and quirky. Very different than up beach at St. Pete.