Reload this Page >

St. Louis, MO and the Arch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Marcy

Our family (two kids) will be stopping for one night in St. Louis coming from Colorado via I-70. Youngest one really wants to see the arch. Can anyone suggest a clean, family-friendly motel convenient to the arch, but in a safe area and moderately priced, say $120 or less? Would long waits to go up in the arch in July on a Wed. be inevitable? Is it very scary? Some of us suffer from virtigo. Any other suggestions in the area of the arch? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:20 AM
craft

You don't HAVE to up to the top of the arch although the view is great. You like right down into Busch Stadium. There is nothing up there but the little windows you see from the ground. If you do take the ride up it could bother the claustrophobic. 5 seats in a circle inside a 6 foot diameter sphere. It rattles and jerks and takes about 4 minutes. 2 very small ports in the door where all you can see are steel stairs. At the top there are small rectangular windows about 10" X 18" that help to minimize any vertigo. Great Museum under the arch based on Lewis and Clarke. If any of the group do not want to go up there are continuous movies in the musem. Buy the Video on how the arch was built!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:30 AM
sister

The Radisson isn't that far from the Arch (indoor pool there..). The Renaissance is across the street from the Arch. YOu should be able EASILY to find a rate under $120. You will be safe walking to the Arch from either one of these hotels. We went on a Tuesday ourselves when the lines were short. Got right up. It would be a shame to pass through STL and not see the Arch in my opinion. It is a jerky ride up and you are crammed in like Sardines..but well worth it. Our kids were young last time we passed through STL and we ate breakfast at the McDonalds that is moored on the Mississippi.

I would make hotel reservations now for a hotel in July. Cardinal fans are rabid. Take in a game while you are there (don't sit on the 3rd base side--too hot!) and make a nice stop out of it.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Jill

There is a really great museum downtown that most kids really like. Of course, a lot of older people like it too. It is The City Museum. It is totally unlike anything I have ever seen before. Check it out!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:33 AM
amy

marcy,
do a site search on st. louis re this forum and you will find lots of info.
the arch grounds are great and the museum is something to see but i would skip the ride. i never have problems on any of the scariest rollercoasters but did not enjoy ride to the top - very tight quarters en route and at the top.
hotels should not be a problem unless fourth of july weekend - st. louis has a huge spirit fest downtown that weekend. try the westin cupples- brand new and awesome - right across from the baseball stadium (i would suggest attending a cardinals game if you can - st. louis has great baseball fans).
2nd choice is new sheraton downtown. then try in this order - drury downtown, drury at union station and hyatt regency at union station. other things other than arch - great zoo midtown, childrens museum, grants farm.
email if any questions.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:10 AM
kkj

I would skip the ride to the top. It is very uncomfortable - small, cramped etc. The area at the top of the arch is small and the windows are tiny. While I'm sure your kids are anxious to do the arch, they will be disappointed at the top.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:18 AM
E.

Is one of the hotels directly across from the arch still an Adams Mark? If not, what is it called now? Because I stayed there a few years ago, and they had reasonably priced rooms that offered fun views of the arch, which looks especially great at night. My room had a Pullman bed in addition to the regular bed, which kids might think is fun.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:18 AM
E.

I think I meant Murphy bed, but I'm sure you got that anyway.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:48 PM
stl

When you go to the arch, buy the tickets to go up immediately. Your tickets will be for a specific time, so you don't have to wait in line, and can see the museum while you wait.

A new addition to the museum is a general store, selling only products that would have been available in the past (not sure what year). Your kids might enjoy trying some of the candy there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -