Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for a place to stop for lunch somewhere between Manassas and Charlottesville??? Can you help? Not fancy, as we will be in our travel/see the scenery clothes!

Looking for a place to stop for lunch somewhere between Manassas and Charlottesville??? Can you help? Not fancy, as we will be in our travel/see the scenery clothes!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Toni

We will be heading down from Manassas to Charlottesville on April 9th. After seeing the battlefield and some of the sights along skyline drive, we will most likely be hungry and are looking for a place to have lunch. As stated in my my title above, we will most likely be dressed in jeans and our walking shoes so somewhere casual is best. We like all types of food. Do you have a favorite?

We have been planning this trip (D.C. and VA for the first time) for about 6 months...can't believe it's almost here.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:43 PM
charles

What route are you driving? If you are on 29 its only an hour or so to Charlottesville, and I'd have lunch in cville.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Toni

Looking at my map, I'm thinking that we will most likely take 55 east to Skyline Dr. south. I know it's not that far from point A to point B, but we'll most likely be in Manassas for 2-3 hours and then with stops along the way on Skyline I thought we might be hungry before we hit Charlottesville....

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:54 PM
charles

Yeah, you probably will. Unfortunately, once you get on skyline it will be hours before you see much of any place to eat. I'd eat in Manassas from what you are saying. Maybe someone who knows the route better wil have a better suggestion.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:23 AM
karen

Wow Toni, I remember when you first starting posting questions about your trip. Can't believe it's almost time. I live between Manassas and Charlottesville; wish I was available on the 9th, you could have come to my home for lunch. If you're flexible in your routing, you could head out 29 and stop in Warrenton (about 25 minutes from Manassas). They have a nice Old Town section to walk around in and a great restaurant called Napoleon's set in an old house. The upstairs is the fancier dining in the restored house and the downstairs has the bar area but both have the same menu. Continental with a little of everything. Also, instead of Warrenton, if you continue down 29 towards Culpeper, you'll hit the Prince Michel winery. They're really nice there but I can't remember if their restaurant is open for lunch. Worth checking into though and very casual! Hope you have a great trip. Where are you coming in from?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Toni

Hi Karen! Of course I remember you!
You posted so many great suggestions which are on our itinerary!
We are coming from Southern California(we live about 10 min from Universal Studios)
a few questions...Is Skyline Drive considered route 29? I only saw it marked on the map as "Skyline Drive". Are your suggestions close in proximity to that route? (I'm being lazy here...I COULD take out my map :0)

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:47 AM
kwl

Unfortunately I don't have suggestions for you, but I do live close by and know that Skyline Drive is not rt. 29. Rt. 29 runs north-south about 25 miles east of Skyline Drive at the point near Warrenton. Skyline Drive runs a little southwest from there. Hope you have a lovely trip!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 09:19 AM
karen

Toni: To get to Warrenton you take rt 29 to Rte 211. 211 is actually the same route we take when we head to Skyline Drive (sorry, I don't have my map handy but go ahead and check; it's a pretty direct way to go). So in essence, Warrenton is right on your way if you choose to go that way. Did I confuse you more or is this helpful?
By the way, I used to live in Hermosa Beach so I know the area you're coming from! You'll have a great time and you'll need to bring a wide variety of clothing. It's supposed to hit the low 70s tomorrow but it could drop to the 40s on any given day!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Chris

You will pass through Warrenton, on your way from Manassas to Skyline Drive. You will take 211 towards Luray to get to Skyline Drive. Halfway between Sperryville and Luray, you'll see the entrance to Skyline Drive on your right.

Now some suggestions:

(1) There's a great little place to eat in Sperryville -- as you come down 211, look for the signs pointing to the antique shops and such in Sperryville. Look for the Appetite Repair Shop -- is that the name -- ? Great, fun, casual little lunch place.

(2) Ten miles down the road on Skyline Drive, you can eat at Skylands Lodge, one of the park properties. It's beautiful, a thrilling view, and decent, affordable food inside. That's what I would do, if you are for sure going up on Skyline Drive!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Toni

Ok...I've got my map out and this is what I had thought we might do...(but we are very flexible! You mentioned antique stores!!! WE LOVE antique stores!!!)
We were going to go from Manassas straight across on 66 west to Warren and then make a sharp left and head straight down Skyline Drive...

Looking at my map, If we take 211 from Manassas to Sperryville and then over to Skyline it seems that we will miss a bit of the Skyline Drive...but I like the idea of the antique stores.

It looks like there is still alot to see of the Shenadoah Nat'l. Prk from Stony Man MTN. down to Charlottesville so that might be our best bet. (I hate to miss out of anything!)

Which way would you go for scenic and maybe some antique stores also, with a cute little neighborhood diner thrown in...(I don't want much huh?)

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Anne

Hi, I just want to point out that :
1. Rt. 66 West will take you to Front Royal in Warren County and that's where Skyline Drive starts.
2.There are some places to stop on Skyline Drive: Panorama Lodge, Skyland and Big Meadows Lodge. Or can you bring picnic food , there are number of picnic areas along the way. You'll get a map of Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway on entrance.
3.In case you stop in Sperryville, the Appetite Repair Shop is parallel to Rt. 211 on a sidestreet.
4.Someone suggested Prince Michel winery on Rt. 29 . We have enjoyed a fantastic lunch there, but the price of (3 or 5 course) lunch is up to $ 36. Not exactly what Toni had in mind, I think.
I suppose from Blue Ridge you take Rt. 64 to Charlottesville. It is a beautyful road and you'll go by Waynesboro. I'm not familiar with that community, but they must have some neat places for lunch. I know outlet shopping is not far from #64!
Charlottesville is LOVELY. April should be a good time. It is a paradise when dogwoods and azaleas are blooming.
Virginia is a wonderful state and we like to welcome visitors ! Enjoy...

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Chris

If you take 211 you'll miss Skyline Drive from Front Royal to Sperryville, but frankly, the drive down 211 is well worth it for a beatiful country drive and beautiful view of the mountains ahead. There is plenty of Skyline Drive to see from Sperryville on to your Charlottesville exit. Do it! As a local, when we go to Luray/Skyline Drive, we always have the "efficient" highway choice of I-66, but ALWAYS choose the 211 route for the view and the pleasure.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Toni

OK...it's Manassas to Sperryville stopping along the way to do a little antiquing, lunch at The Appetite Repair Shop (what a great name!) and then heading south to Charlottesville.
Now, another question, (maybe I should post a new message but I'll try here first)
Any suggestions for a few dinner spots in Charlottesville? We like good food and casual...We are staying at the South St Inn.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Chris

Me again! Charlottesville natives, chime in, but for casual, I liked the College Deli (I think that's the name) right across from UVa, and in the downtown walking/mall area, there's a hardware store converted to a fun casual restaurant. Might be called ... The Hardware Store?"

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Chris

Last post, I promise: from the WWW:

Appetite Repair Shop:An appetizing funky place to repair yourself. Home of the foot-high onion rings and subs-in-a-hub.
Best burgers -- period.
Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m.; Friday-Sunday, 8 a.m.-7:30 p.m.
20 Main St., Sperryville; call
540-987-9533.

Antique shop next door. Enjoy!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Toni

Thank you Chris! I've copy & pasted your information.

A heads up for everyone.
Not sure if I'm supposed to post about another website but this is just about food so I don't think it's a conflict!

It's called:
chowhounds.com

Very similiar to this site but just about restaurants.

I just found it and it's really informative!