Search

St. Louis graduation party restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Louis graduation party restaurant

HI.
I'm looking for a good restaurant in St.Louis for a college graduation dinner-party for 20 people. Must offer vegetarian dishes as well as meat. (I'm out of state trying to find someplace on the internet......I'm getting bleary-eyed!)
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Have you tried

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/

You can do a search of restaurants. I know you don't want to limit yourself to vegeterian/vegan but they do have that as a choice for doing a search.

Some of the restaruants they have listed have a website and at those that do there is usually a "menu" option. A lot of restaurants offer a vegeterian selection. You can view the menu and see if there is a vegeterian option.

You didn't mention which area of the city you were looking for but riverfronttimes.com offers an option to search for a restaurant by neighborhood also.

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I am going to assume it is Washington U. or St. Louis U. If I am wrong I apologize. There are several restaurants midtown, near these Universities..Clayton area. Some offer private wine rooms that seat 20 privately at no extra charge.

Cafe Napoli - Lovely Italian restaurant
CAfe Eau - located in the historic Chase Park Plaza -Central west end
Lucianno's - next to the Ritz
Remy's - wine bar and great food
Truffles - in Ladue
Cafe Balaban - old St. Louis tradition in Central West end.

Also try the link - stltoday.com

Good Luck!! Congratulations.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:40 PM

You can also try
http://stlouis.citysearch.com/
Are they any specific kinds of foods are you prefer? If you're up for Asian, one of my faves when I lived there (while going to SLU) was a Thai restaurant on S. Grand named "The King and I." I'm pretty certain it has space for a large group.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:40 PM

You can also try
http://stlouis.citysearch.com/
Are there any specific kinds of foods that you prefer? If you're up for Asian, one of my faves when I lived there (while going to SLU) was a Thai restaurant on S. Grand named "The King and I." I'm pretty certain it has space for a large group.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 08:23 AM
MaureenB

Last summer I had dinner with local St. Louis friends at "Jimmy's", which is off Clayton Road, close to Skinker Blvd, sort of next to Wash U. I think the neighborhood is called DeMund, or something sounding like that. Nice residential neighborhood with other cute shops-- antiques, hair salon, coffee-- on one this little block. It was a fairly expensive dinner, but very nice. I think they had vegan offerings, for sure. Their bar area was really nice and had lower prices for meals, so maybe a good idea for a grad party. It seemed to be a very popular place with twenty-somethings.
We also went to the new Cyranno's in Webster. Skip it-- really a big disappointment. All pink, too.

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM

MaureenB - i am glad you mentioned Jimmy's on The Park. It is a great place. There is a fireplace in the bar area and sometimes Live music.
Never a bad meal.

I too did like Cyrano's. A big disappointment.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:17 AM
MaureenB

I forgot about the live music at Jimmy's. The 'bar' area is much nicer than most-- a very cool, upscale place. Parking is free and easy, too. Maybe they have a website.
(You mean you did NOT like Cyranno's, right, annesherrod?)

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Maureen,
Yes - I did NOT like it. I really should proof read my posts! :0
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

ziggydoo, annesherrod, spunki, MaureenB....thank you all for your responses. I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, but we had a family emergency which kept me out of state (and computer access) for a while. Your suggestions were all very helpful. I also contacted the St. Louis Vegetarian Society and the president was kind enough to suggest Cardwell’s at the Plaza in Frontenac. My husband and I are flying out to St. Louis soon and we'll be able to check out a few of the places! I'll let you know what we decide!
annesherrod -- good guess --my daughter is graduating from Wash U.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:55 PM
MaureenB

You must be proud of your daughter-- Wash U. is a great school, and hard to get into.
My sister went there, so did my brother-in-law.

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

We're very proud of her. I'm guessing your sister met her husband there!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:02 AM
MaureenB

Musictub, my middle sister met her husband when he was studying architecture at Wash U. But it was my youngest sister who actually went to and graduated from Wash U. I graduated from high school not far away, at Lindell and Newstead. So I'm familiar with that neighborhood. It's such a great setting for a college campus. Love Wash U. My daughter was accepted there, but she chose Johns Hopkins U. instead.
Anyway, where did you choose for your graduation dinner? It will be fun, wherever. I'm just curious.

Old May 4th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Lot's of great places to choose from. First, where is the graduation and where is everyone coming from? You may want to consider that when selecting. I like the following in different locations.

Soulard area - downtown and charming restuarants and bars I would try Norton's. They are cajun and have a big outside patio with lights and music. It is nice but relaxing. Great drinks and a good party atmosphere without being too rowdy

Chesterfield area - I would try PF Changs or Bombay which are both near the mall. Both casual with great atmosphere.

Downtown - Charlie Gitto's for italian, Frasier's Traveling Brown Bag for eclectic, or even King Louie's which is a beer place with lots of brews and a great outside area.

Ladue - This is a really nice area with tons of restaurants. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

Good luck!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

MaureenB and MsWitty1:
Sorry for the late response. MaureenB: We ended up at Cardwell’s at the Plaza in Frontenac. It was great! Since my daughter is staying in the St.Louis area (she just married her college boyfriend this past Dec.--now you know why I haven't checked fodors site for a while) we will be using some of these suggestions for dining when we visit (thanks MsWitty1 and all!).
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM

wow, that is great news... good to see your post after a couple of years!

Do they live in STL now?

congratulations!
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Yes, they live in St. Louis. I thought she'd come back to Florida after college, but 'twas not to be! Now, she's getting her masters (an assistantship...free tuition by working 20 hrs/wk for the dept head). By the way, we tried Remy's and really liked it. Clayton is such a cute town. Thanks for responding!
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:07 PM

How funny that I found this thread today that was started two years ago. My daughter is graduating from college this Sunday and I came here to find a place for dinner after the ceremony - and my daughter is a vegetarian!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM

Best place to find St. Louis restaurants is http://www.saucemagazine.com/
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Congratulations, toobusytoday, and have a wonderful celebration! Please post which restaurant you ended up choosing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -