Springfield Illinois restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Springfield next weekend. Any suggestions for a nice restaurant to visit with friends on Saturday night?

Keith
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:27 AM

Not exactly nice, but you could ask at the hotel where you can get a good horseshoe. The horseshoe sandwich is a Springfield specialty, but it's more of a bar/restaurant food than fine dining.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:58 AM

So sorry to hear you have to go to Springfield...the land of the chain restaurants. I'm not sure if they have one but if they have a Biaggis, it's a good Italian small chain restaurant. On the fancy side and they seem to be concentrated in central Illinois, I know there is one in Bloomington and Champaign.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:56 AM

If you want the smaller version of the horseshoe you can ask for a ponyshoe.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:00 AM

OK the horsehshoe got me thinking about my times spent in central Illinois. By the way both Decatur and Peoria claim the horseshoe.

The last time I was in Springfield was spring of '99. I visited the state capitol and had dinner with a friend at Arturo's. It was upscale and very nice considering where I was. It's close to the Capitol building and supposedly frequented by a lot of legislators though I wouldn't even recognize the governor.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

The horseshoe wasn't what I had in mind, but now I wish to try one.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/sandwich/sandwich161.html says that two local chefs created the Springfield Horseshoe Sandwich in 1928 at the Leland Hotel in Springfield, Illinois. It provides a recipe.

Walter, don't feel sorry for me. I will be at a convention, but it is more of an extended party.

Keith

PS: Will be staying at the Hilton. I am surprised that a hotel in a a town that size charges $6/night for parking.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:11 PM

Keith - Since you're staying at the Hilton why not try their restaurant Gumbo Ya Ya's, on the top floor of the hotel. It's a wonderful place. If you've never been to the Hilton in Springfield before you'll be amazed at the view from the top floor, the capitol building looks absolutely beautiful.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 02:36 PM

Ah, yes... the "giant prick on the prairie" hotel... (Hilton). Been there a number of times for conventions. PLEASE be careful when you park so you don't get bird doo all over your car. I managed to park under a roosing place once and was soooooo embarassed to drive my car on the street to the car wash. I had bird feathers stuck on it!! YIKES! Doesn't look good on a black Lincoln.

As far as restaurants go, I'm afraid I can't be much help as I usually go the fast food route in between convention meetings. Although, maybe someone knows the name of the Italian place that is about a block from the convention center. It's casual, but good food.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the tips.

Friday night we went to supper at Gumbo Ya-Ya's on the 30th floor of the hotel. We had a tiny table but enjoyed the view. The calamari appetizer was poor, but I did enjoy my New York Strip topped with melted gorgonzola cheese and caramelized onions.

We had horseshoes at Norb Andy's Tabarin, a small basement pub near the hotel. Nice atmosphere and a friendly server. I don't regret having the horseshoe at all, but wouldn't make a point of seaking it out again.

I tried to do a bit of sightseeing away from the convention, but the places i most wanted to visit, Lincoln's Presidential Library and the Air Combat Museum are both closed on weekends.

Keith
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:19 PM

Keith, I laughed out loud with your horseshoe description. I had the ponyshoe only once with the same thought.