Springbreak 2020

Jul 21st, 2019, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Springbreak 2020

Im visiting Florida from the 15th until 22th of February 2020 for a little holiday with sun. I just booked a ticket and a rental car and hoping for some nice, cheap lastminute hotels on The Keys.

But after some research I think I found out that it's the same period as "Spring Break" in the USA.

Is it possible to find affordable lastminute beach hotels at the Keys or are the prices very very high due to this Springbreak?

TIA
Jul 21st, 2019, 10:28 AM

That doesn't really sound like "spring break" which I think of as being more March. However it IS high season everywhere in Florida so prices will reflect that. Just do your search would be my advice.
Jul 21st, 2019, 10:38 AM

Most colleges have their spring break sometime in March.
Jul 21st, 2019, 12:04 PM

Springbreak is usually around Eastertime and in 2020 Easter (non-Orthodox) falls on 12 April but there are many schhols which still have a break in March as others have said. The Florida Keys are not as popular a place for spring break as are the beaches in the Florida Panhandle. These days there are a lot of kids doing spring break in Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel) and also on cruise ships, South Padre Island, Texas, and other locations.

I live in Florida and I agree with the others who have recommended you keep looking in the Keys; the "season" down here runs pretty much through the month of April and even beyond depending on when the Canadians have to go back home in some instances
Jul 21st, 2019, 01:48 PM

Not Spring Break (usually for colleges) but Feb. 15 through 22 is President’s Week which is a traditional break time for Elementary and High Schools in the USA and so a very popular time for families to take a vacation - many going to warm weather areas like Florida.

Whether or not you can find “affordable beach hotels” in the Keys at that time depends on your definition of “affordable”. As others have advised, Florida isn’t inexpensive during the winter months so it depends on what you can afford.
Jul 22nd, 2019, 06:23 AM
J62

RoamsAround has it correct. It's not Spring Break period, but rather President's week. Travel to anywhere in FL is expensive that week since many families in the northeast/north-central US are sick and tired of winter by that point and want a mid/late winter getaway somewhere warm. Anywhere warm. Schools often have that week off.

We travel to FL each Feb (to visit & stay with family), and avoid flying that week whenever possible, at least weekends as lines at airports can be horrendous, flights packed, and any disruption due to bad weather elsewhere in the US can have ripple effects.

"Fortunately" (with air quotes) we stay with family so we don't have to deal with hotel costs, but everywhere in S. Florida will be packed- traffic, restaurant waits, etc..

It's also peak snow-bird season (defined as those who spend several months of the year in FL, and part of the year somewhere north (US or Canada). They will be staying in RVs or seasonal rentals or vacation properties they own.