Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ok...when exactly is Spring break in Florida?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:09 AM
Question

I would like to go to Florida in March, but I want to be careful to avoid the spring breakers.

Does anyone know?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM
Forus

In Ontario Canada our "Spring" break, or as we call it "March break" is the week of March 10th. Expect alot of us to head south for some sunshine!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:41 AM
Jen

Problem is, there isn't an "exactly," because diffrent colleges take their spring vacations at different times. it's not like that Simpsons episode, where you wake up one morning and everybody's gone.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:44 AM
xxx

Anywhere from late February until mid_april (easter week) can be Spring Break for college students. I have been to and worked at 5 different colleges and the range was that broad!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:18 PM
Cat

March is the most common Spring Break month. If you want to avoid spring breakers, you should skip March altogether.

You can also try to pick an upscale hotel in a location away from the beach. There would be fewer spring breakers staying in such a location.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:03 PM
Sara

The question of where to go in FL to avoid spring breakers was recently posted. The answer generally was there are plenty of places to go. Just don't go anywhere inexpensive because that is where college kids will be.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:16 PM
xxx

If you want to avoid spring break in Florida don't go in March or April until after Easter. If it's not college kids on break, it's the rug rats and curtain crawlers and their parents. Plus Florida has been unseasonably cold this year. Go to Aruba, Barbados, Caymans, etc. The temps today were in the 80's...

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:17 PM
Lois

I must agree with the others.. are ya'll Floridians?....Spring Break down here.. it varies.. College Kids.. school kids.. seems every county is different!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:00 PM
Jan

My three kids have spring breaks at three different weeks...Mid March to early April. Well, I guess we're not going any where with them this spring break! If you REALLY want to avoid the spring break crowd, then go in late Feb or late April.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:15 PM
Turtle

But, as pointed out above, late Feb cld. get you into "college/university reading week" which is usually around mid Feb to end of Feb. So to be on the safe side avoid mid Feb to mid April. However, this year Easter is April 20 so you may want to go beyond that. Looks like you ain't going to Florida in March! (IMHO that is not the best time to go anyway...can be very chilly. If you can swing it go in May...1st , 2nd week in May...Gorgeous!)

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 04:21 AM
RU

If you are still planning and want to go in March and its already 1/23 then you'll know when you try to book a room; good luck!