Spring vs. Fall...when to visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are beginning plans for our trip to CA and wonder what Fodorites feel is the best season to make this trip. We will be primarily along the coast from SF to LA. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM

May I suggest you repost this with a better message title that includes Calif, SF and LA in title along with spring vs Fall. May get more replies this way.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM

We like this trip any time of year--even during the winter.

You can't go wrong.

Why not make this trip this fall?
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

would love to go this fall 'happytrails toyou' and thanks for the invite. We do need time however to make the plans,arrange flights,hotels ect. It's a big trip and will require some research.Guess I'll have to repost with more particulars and a better message title ):
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM
TAW

Spring tends to have more rain, however everything will be green...very pretty. Fall will probably not have any rain and the hills are still brown (ok, golden)...
But temps are mild both seasons.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Good point TAW.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:04 AM

We went to San Fran/Sonoma/and Carmel in mid-May. All of the flowers put on a spectacular show and we had awesome weather. Highs in the upper 60's (perfect for us being from HOT Texas.)
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Spring is the only time that CA is green, the rest of the time it is "brown and crunchy", as someone once said. Late spring, mid-April to mid-June, gets you pretty much out of our rainy season. March is usually quite wet, and June is foggy at the coast. Our wildflowers can be spectacular between March and June, depending on the area.

In October and early November we usually get bright warm weather, dry, and clear blue skies. September is hot.

There is usually a large temperature difference between the coast and the inland areas, sometimes 30 degrees in just a few miles. We have microclimates!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Hi minx, my favorite season is autumn. Spring can be beautiful but I just love our autumns as the weather is normally wonderful. But either season would be lovely..early spring could have rain however although the weather patterns don't seem to be consistant as of late. Our spring this year was like winter due to the rain storms. Than we had a long spell of triple digit temps. Have fun planning your trip!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. LoveItaly, yup, we do too and would really like to return once again this year BUT decided to give it a rest and book California. Problem is a piece of my heart is still and always will be in Italy and I find it hard to get motivated for any other trip planning.Nevertheless, California ...here we come!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:18 PM
trippinkpj

I think the weather is more reliable in the fall, late Sept. till early November along the coast. FYI, as the TX poster said, May is usually nice with minimal rain.

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM

Gigib - "Brown & crunchy"? I was born and raised in So. Cal and have never seen this brown and crunchy you are talking about? Cute, although inaccurate discription.

MINX - depending on what your interests are - I really love October in SF/Napa Valley and it is cooling off in LA and SD after a v. hot summer. "It never rains in California" so anytime is the right time. Don't forget to check out Herst Castle if you do go up /down the coast.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Hi minx, you sound like me. Italy is where I always want to go back to but unfortantly there are times it is good or necessary to go somewhere else. BTW, when past Santa Barbara do turn off of 101 and head into "old town" Ventura. There are a few good Italian restaurants there along with some shops that carry merchandise from Italy. Just to make you miss Italy more than ever, lol. Oh, also, in Santa Barbara there is an enormous wearhouse filled with all kinds of pottery from the smallest coasters to large platters, bowls etc. and also fantastic water fountains etc., again all from Italy. If you want the names remind me before you take your California trip and I will get them for you. Best wishes.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Calamari, I am a S. Cal native as well, born in West L.A., the same year as Disneyland (!). The last 20 years we've lived in Topanga Canyon, and I have been amazed to see the hills change from looking like Ireland in March, to beige dead grasses and undergrowth in July. I look forward to the first green grass shoots, about 2 weeks after the first rains, then lupines in April and orange monkey flowers in May. The brown and crunchy description was from this board, made me laugh.

Visitors don't usually realize how spectacular our wildflowers can be!

Minx, you will be along the coastal hills, and may enjoy seeing some of our greenness in the spring while risking some wet weather. Fall is almost guaranteed to have wonderful weather, but brown hills.