Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Spring Break w/Teens - Need help from you Maui pros

Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta confess, I'm Caribbean oriented since its sooo much easier from Ohio, so I have zero HI skills. Rather than totally fry my brain researching (yea, I'll still do plenty of it 'cause I'm anal when it comes to vaca), I thought I'd toss it to you folks for some tips.

I started setting up a spring break 2011 trip (my sweetie + 17 yo daughter + 13 yo son) and was advised that Atlantis is all the rage among certain friends and we should go there (ugggghhh!!!). We are not resort people but this is a "special trip" since my daughter will soon be off to college, soooo....

When I priced Atlantis (+/- $10K ugggghh!!!), I told myself that we could do a real Hawaii vaca for less than that, and it wouldn't be fake at all! "Fake" = Completely manufacturered experience intended to faintly resemble what the experience beyond the resort boundries would entail. IMHO, it would be nice if you could tell what island you're actually visiting rather than these generic "island experience" abominations. End rant.

Maui appears to have all of the stuff that we'd like...snorkeling, zip lines, whale watching, lush vegitation, mountain-top sunrises, beaches, swimming, great food. West appears to be best suited for housing. (Personally, I'd be on my way to Kauai and hang at Princeville, but it ain't about me this trip). We need a nice beach right out the door and excellent beach/snorkeling within a short drive/walk. Auto excursions will be on tap as I will insist that we see a good chunk of the island. Don't need killer ammenities but would appreciate a place with a "hawaiian feel" as oppossed to generic...you know, a little touristy.

What I really need is some affirmation of my preliminary decisions (preceding pfg) and some advice on accommodations (Mar 25 - Apr 2). Gotta have 2BR. Maybe something like Mahana Kaanapali but with more vibe?

I'm seeing some air/hotel packages in the $6K range which looks good. Air alone is $3,600 so the right place (non-package, VRBO, etc) could work at $350-400/nt

Sure would appreciate your help. I'll need to get this puppy booked fairly soon and some shortcuts from you guys would help a lot!

Dave
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM

The best condo development on Kaanapali Beach is Kaanapali Ali'i. I wouldn't say it has a "Hawaiian vibe" (it's not a cottage with a lana'i overlooking the ocean, it's a luxury condo development with a smaller (i.e. no water slides, etc.) pool, but on the beach, in between the Hyatt and the Marriott. I have no idea if the price is within your budget. I personally prefer to stay on that part of Kaanapali Beach (between the Hyatt and the Sheraton) rather than north of Black Rock, although I heard they've opened a footpath to connect the two areas, which much improves the north part in my opinion.

You should probably take a look at these threads:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-kaanapali.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...i-169403-2.cfm
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't help much with details, as I've only been to Maui once on a family reunion trip. But I can confirm YES I think it has all the things you are seeking. It's an amazing island. Big thumbs up for going to Haleakala (doesn't have to be at sunrise). It is absolutely amazing. The town of Lahaina is funky and fun if you want to do some shopping, restaurants, shows, etc.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM

I will also confess too, I am Hawaii and not Caribbean oriented. But then, I live in Southern California.

I also like the Kaanapali/West Maui area on Maui. I find the main Kaanapali beach hotels/condos pricey. Perhaps look into the Mahana Condo just south of the main Kaanapali Beach area. I also sometimes stay in Kahana, a little further south. The Mahana and lots of other Condos can be found through VRBO. There are also Condos that can be packaged up with Expedia, Orbitz and Priceline and sites like that.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:08 PM

Just to clarify in case you're looking for it, both the Mahana and Kahana are north of the main part of Kaanapali Beach, not south.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 11:33 PM

You should know that the Mahana does not have a white sandy beach frontage although the views from the lanais especially on the higher floors are spectacular. It is also not within walking distance to much of anything. With two teenagers, you might want to stay within the Kaanpali Resort which does have the sandy beaches, restaurants, and shopping that everyone can easily walk to and from. Kaanapali Beach Hotel probably has the most reasonable rates among the beachfront hotels. It also calls itself "the most Hawaiian hotel" which you might be looking for in regards to the Hawaiian feeling.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 04:49 AM

I agree with offlady, it really sounds like staying ON kaanapali is the best bet. Personally I stay northof Kaanapali as well and prefer to stay away from Kaanapali. With teens and wanting beaches in front...Kaanapali is a great place.
It is also on the free trolley that goes into Lahaina which makes it nice.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 07:39 AM

You should consider Kihei and Wailea; lots of condo complexes (2 bdrm, 2 bath) can be had in the $100--200/night ranges, fabulous beaches, proximity to amenities (Safeway, restaurants, shopping, even the farmers' market). Walk across the street to the 3 Kamaole beach parks, and a very short drive to many more white sand beaches for great snorkeling, etc.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Rent a convertible and drive the highway to Hana...it was one of the highlights of our trip!
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 09:40 AM

FWIW, unless they just like to sit around the pool or beach reading a book, the Kaanapali Beach Resort (the area I described earlier from the Hyatt Regency to the Sheraton/Black Rock, on Kaanapali Beach, about 3 miles north of Lahaina) is the best place for teens because they can "travel" on their own. There's a shopping center called Whaler's Village (small shops, nice restaurants, convenience store, some fast food) mid-way that's great for them to poke around, have lunch, etc. You can snorkel right off the beach at Black Rock. If the waves are good, they can take surf lessons right there. Etc. etc.

Are you looking for a condo or a hotel?
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM

That's why I recommended Kihei! They can walk into town and all around.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 04:58 PM

I second the road to Hana though its a "I love it" or "I dont get it" kind of thing.
I am not to fond of Kihei personally. Not enough of an island feel to me....not sure why.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys & gals! You're great. Kaanapali sure seems to fill the bill. I'm focused on condos due to the need for 2BR...just too much $$$$$ at a hotel So far looking closely at Mahana, Ali'i and Hanua Kai. Looks like I'll have to push the budget some to around $400-500/nt.

Anyone familiar with International Colony Club and the beach across the road? Spotted a sweet cottage on VRBO that could be on the radar as an option.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 11:40 AM

I think teens would like a day in Paia on the north shore. Some great restaurant choices, including Paia Flatbread, for lunch. Funky shops with a bit of a hippie/surfer vibe to poke around in, northshore beaches to explore, surfers catching some big waves to watch, and a short drive up to Makawao, the old Maui cowboy town.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 12:23 PM

This is not on Kaanapali but a short drive away. The beach is not ideal for swimming but has a great reef in front with Sea Turtles that frequent often. The price for the money was great...We stayed at one of the beach front on our last trip and let me tell you the water is so close you could almost touch it. Here is one of the 2 bedrooms a little farther away from the water.
http://www.vrbo.com/76327

Great suggestions blueswimmer.
Paia and Makawao are two of my favorite places on Maui. Lunch at the Fish Market followed by Komodas for dessert.Does it get any better than that? Many I need to plan another trip. We are going to Italy next year or I would be planning another trip back to Maui.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the continued advice. Forget that I asked about Int'l Colony Club. I Google Earthed it and it won't work at all.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM
SEW

I'm partial to the Kaanapali area the best, although I know the allure of the other areas. We stayed in a condo in Mahana once, but there isn't a lot of beach, mostly rocks. Kapalua would also be a good area because their beach is nice and protected. Condo's that are walkable to the beach may be out of the budget.

On a sisters trip where we needed room for 5, we rented a 2 bd / 2 ba condo at The Whaler. Individual units are subject to the "nice" factor, and I have heard that some are aged. We had an ocean front unit on a higher floor, so enjoyed just hanging out, plus we ate breakfast in every morning. The pool isn't good, but you are in Hawaii - go to the beach! The location is very good, close walking to Whaler's Village and other hotels. Plus you are close to Black Rock, which has amazing snorkeling.

We always plan an activity in the morning and spend the afternoon at the beach. We have done kayak trips, parasailing, the bike down Haleakala and the drive to Hana, which the kids will find boring, although it is beautiful.

I have also stayed at a place north of Kaanapali, which had a decent beach, but don't remember the name.

Haven't been in several years, but always enjoy Maui. Have fun with the kids.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 08:40 PM

SEW, I heard they were renovating the pool at the Whaler-- I don't think they enlarged it, but maybe spiffed it up some?
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM

I would never assume that someone elses teens will find the road to hana boring.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:19 PM

Of the 3 you mention, I would recommend Kaanapali Alii for location and convenience. The condos are spacious and each have private laundry facilities. The Whaler is also a condo with shared laundry on each floor. Have you looked into the Marriott on Kaanapali Beach? They have some units that have kitchen facilites. Honua Kai is a bit of a walk to Whaler's Village where all the activity is but might be okay. With teenagers, I really don't think Mahana is a good choice. Sorry to say.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -