Spring Break w/12yo boy.

Search

Spring Break w/12yo boy.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Break w/12yo boy.

I recently became a single mom and I would like to take my 12yo son on a trip that would be really fun. We are from the San Francisco Bay Area. We've spent alot of time in Hawaii, really enjoy Western Canada, Sedona, AZ and we are already planning a trip to Wyoming August 2009. Other than Hawaii, I'm trying to find a place off the beaten track abd NOT a theme park
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Based on what you have liked in the past I would suggest Alaska or the Canadian Rockies, BUT, It would be too cold that time of year. (Put them on your list for later. Have you thought of Washington DC? Great museums, lots of points of interest outside and walkable.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

You are spot on with us! We loved Washington DC. Last January we went to NYC and loved it. Funny, because we think of ourselves as nature people.

You got me thinking to change my August trip to Alaska, but then I'm still stuck with Spring break.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
mp

How about south of Sedona to Pheonix - whitewater rafting, driving the Apache Trail, hiking South Mountain?

Or whale watching in mexico?
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Does it have to be in the U.S.? If not, I think you would love Costa Rica - Check out the Arenal area and Manuel Antonio. You can hike, zip line, sail, see monkeys and waterfalls, active volcanoes - we love it.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Hmmm.... ok, what about Boston? Great museums, The Freedom Trail, beautiful setting on the water - and for a small town experience take a day trip out to Lexington and Concord.

Old Dec 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Here's another idea - snow skiing. Great family fun, lots of nature. Park City or Brekenridge come to mind first, but living in SF you could drive to Tahoe. You could break up the week with snow mobiling, dog sledding and or snow shoeing. Don't ski - not a problem, take learn together.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Boston
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Boston is a good suggestion too; we loved it.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM

but living in SF you could drive to Tahoe

That would very much depend on when spring break is - March, yes; April, very much a maybe.

Not sure if you meant you'd already been with him to DC, but even if you haven't, I would avoid DC for spring break at all costs. It is overrun with 8th graders from all over the country on field trips.

Boston sounds like a great idea for a city trip, again partly depending on whether your spring break is in March or April, weather-wise.

If you decide to do a city trip, Chicago is a fabulous city - museums, shopping, eating, the beach-in-the-city (i.e. the lakefront), etc.

How about the Northwest - Seattle/Portland and environs. In Seattle, you could go to Mt. Rainier.

Old Dec 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. These are all great ideas. I'm leaning towards Boston as I was there 25 years ago for a wedding and didn't feel like I had enough time to explore. Other Ideas are worth looking into also.