Spring break in New Orleans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of taking my two teens (13 and 15) to New Orleans for spring break (end of March). Wondering if there's enough to keep them entertained and whether it will be overrun with college kids at that time. Any insight?
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 09:58 AM

There is a fair amount to see in New Orleans.
There is an excellent World War II museum if they like history
There is paddle wheeler you can ride on the Mississippi.
There are a few plantations you can visit. I liked Oak Alley.
There are also boat tours of the bayou's they might be interested in.

Then there are the restaurants. you might want to make your reservations ahead of time for dome of them

I can't answer about Spring Break
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 12:21 PM

New Orleans is not known as a major Spring Break destination. Here are some sights:

St. Charles Trolley. Ride this quaint, historic trolley to Audubon Park. It’s a lot of fun. Walk on the trail through live oak trees dripping with Spanish moss to the zoo along the banks of the Mighty Mississippi.

French Market. This 1791 historic market has products which are uniquely Louisianan such as sugar cane and tropical fruits.

Swamp Tour. Take a swamp tour (not air boat which seems eco unfriendly and can’t take you deep into the bayou). Cajun Encounters is supposed to be really good.

New Orleans Botanical Garden. Wander around the lush, subtropical New Orleans Botanical Garden which has 2,000 varieties of plants. The garden is divided into several theme gardens.

Cruise down the mighty Mississippi River aboard the Paddle Wheeler Creole Queen. On the Dinner Jazz Cruise enjoy the Creole Queen’s own Jazz Band while you feast on a Creole buffet. After dinner enjoy a stroll on the promenade deck as you take in a twilight view of New Orleans.

Great American Alligator Museum. This museum celebrates the alligator and features a 14ft gator named “Fideaux,” and an alligator fossil and alligator memorabilia galore.

New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum. Check out the "authentic" altars to candles, crosses, skeletons, and exhibits. Voodoo dolls for sale.

Last edited by PrairieHikerII; Feb 23rd, 2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 04:30 PM

The World War II museum is a must-do. If you are meat-eaters, don’t miss nearby Cochon Butcher.

Are your teens curious about foods and adventurous? They will love NOLA. Do a food tour or create your own. There is nothing like a warm beignet. Ask my 16 year old grandson who had had a few take-home beignets before he had a fresh, warm one!

The Whitney Plantation!

https://www.whitneyplantation.org

>>Whitney Plantation is the only museum in Louisiana with an exclusive focus on the lives of enslaved people. During your visit, you will learn about the history of slavery on a southern Louisiana sugarcane plantation.

With COVID on our minds, we arranged for a private tour driver who provided commentary and give-and-take. The self-guided audio tour at the plantation followed the circuit though the grounds. We learned so much! The entire experience was very moving!

Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 09:14 PM

We love NOLA. It is worth going just for the food!

The Herman-Grima House is right in the city center and is one of the most interesting places historically I have toured, more for how people lived and worked and how society functioned in NOLA back then. All ages will enjoy it.

Do Not leave out a trip to and tour of one of the old cemeteries. Take the old trolly out to a stop a few blocks from the cemetery. There seem to be local people doing guided walks for tips when we were there. The one we had was an amazing story teller. It was one of the most entertaining and interesting tours of any place we have been. This is, IMHO, a do not miss, especially for kids.
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 06:32 PM

If you click on my user name, you will find my detailed trip report for NOLA. We went as 2 adults, but we like kid things (we liked the bug museum!). So it should give you some ideas!
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Great advice. Booked the tickets, so if anyone has restaurant recommendations, send them my way!
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 06:05 AM

On another travel forum which has closed posters recommended the following: Drink rich coffee with sweet beignets in 1840 Antoine’s and eat at Cochon Butchers or Green Goddess for brilliant food.