10 days in Oregon in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2021, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my first trip to Oregon and I'm planning 10 days to see high-lights. I like outdoor scenery, moderate hiking and sight-seeing and one afternoon of wine tasting. Please let me know if this tentative schedule will work and where should I stay.
Day 1 fly in to Portland, rent-a-car and stay in Portland to see Japanese Gardens, International rose test gardens and other sights. Here's a few hotels that were mentioned in other reports: Marriott Waterfront, Duniway, Menamin's, Holiday Inn Express or Fairfield Inn. Day 2-go east I-84 with many stops including Multnomah Falls and Mt. Hood and stay in Hood River. Westcliff Lodge was mentioned as a place to stay. Day 3-stop at Timberline Lodge for views, Peter Skene Ogden State Park and end up in Bend for 2 nights. My Place Hotel? Day 4-Crater Lake and back to Bend. Day 5 and 6. go-Willamette Valley by way of MacKenzie Pass through Silverton. Dee Wright Observatory and Proxy Falls and wine tasting. Day 7-Head to Eugene north to Albany west to coast. 101N to Newport. Stay in Newport. Hatfield Marine Science Center. (I love aquariums). Day 8-Continue 101N stop at Yaquina Lighthouse and maybe Devil's Punchbowl. Stay?
Day 9-Continue up coast to Lincoln City through Salem to Portland. Stay in Portland. Day 10-home
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Oregon in September

I will be staying 2 nights in Bend and would like to know if I should go to the Wilmette Valley area, stay overnight in Eugene and head to Bandon on the coast or skip the Wilmette Valley area and go to Crater Lake State park and stay there overnight before heading to Bandon. I'm trying to book this as soon as possible.

Please reply! Thanks
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 08:12 PM

At this time I don't think Eugene has a lot to recommend. Lots of homeless people in the parks and under bridges.
I think you will find places to enjoy more. And if you are coming from Bend, you would likely run into traffic slow downs. The McKenzie Hwy. was the center of a huge fire last summer so lots of clean up and construction going on.
there are some nice easy hikes along the Umqua on Why. 138. There are several waterfalls - Watson Falls, Susan Falls, Tokatee Falls.
There are many nice wineries in the Roseburg Area- Hillcrest Winery is the birthplace of the Oregon Pinot Noir and is a nice stop. Its not a big pretentious place but great wines. If the owner is there, he will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about wine.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 12:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not against Eugene. Just flew in to the airport there last week to visit family. But why do you want to go there? Seems an odd choice for a tourist/visitor. Spend your time on the coast or up further north in the 'wine country' of Willamette Valley.

Old Jul 11th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

I was planning on spending all day in Willamette Valley. I picked Eugene for just a place to spend the night since we will be heading to Bandon Beach the following morning. Do you have any suggestions of somewhere to stay instead? I'm still trying to decide if we should go to Willamette Valley or Crater Lake that day.
Thanks
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 02:59 PM

1st time Oregon visitor needs advice...

I am also planning a trip to Oregon and Olympic Nat'l Park in September. We will be starting this portion in Ashland Oregon. Originally we planned on 1st night in Portland, then onto Port Angeles, Washington.
Now, we want to add Mt. Hood and Columbia River into the trip. i'm thinking of taking Hwy 62 and 97 through Bend and then the 26 to Mt. Hood and Columbia River area.
Is this a good idea vs. I5 to Portland and then east to Mt. Hood? That would keep us from backtracking in and out of Portland. From port Angeles we plan to make our way down the Oregon coast back to San Diego.
This is my first time using this forum, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 08:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors

You have tacked your questions on to an old-ish thread (July last year) and your questions are about different regions of Oregon and also Washington. So it would be better if you started a new thread of your own
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 06:41 AM

Yes, go to the coast. It's highly scenic.

Cape Perpetua Scenic Area @ Yachats. This is the most popular tourist destination in Oregon. Towering 800 feet over the Pacific Ocean, the Cape Perpetua headland is the highest viewpoint accessible by car on the Oregon Coast. A great overlook with wonderful views of the Pacific. Over 2,700 acres of unique coastal habitat and 26 miles of trails through the lush temperate rainforest.

Cannon Beach. Scenic coastal resort with Haystack Rock. South of town is Oswald West State Park which has lovely deserted beaches.

Astoria. Many colorful houses and older longtime residents speak with a Finnish accent. Lewis and Clark National Historic Park with the recreated Fort Clatsop. Visit the Columbia River Maritime Museum. Stroll on the Astoria Riverwalk. The Cathedral Tree Trail takes you to a Sitka spruce which you can walk into. Eat seafood.

Old Mar 4th, 2022, 06:52 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
Welcome to Fodors

You have tacked your questions on to an old-ish thread (July last year) and your questions are about different regions of Oregon and also Washington. So it would be better if you started a new thread of your own
Here's the new thread - 1st time Oregon visitor needs advice...