Spring Break in Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 4 (dad, mom, 5 & 7 year old girls) will be spending Spring Break in Charleston. We're flying in Sunday evening March 8th and out on Friday March 13th. We'll be staying at the Doubletree in the Historic District and aren't planning to rent a car for the whole trip, but will do 2 one-day rentals from Enterprise and plan to utilize the free trolleys. We like history, good food, being active & taking different forms of transportation (trolleys, boats, etc). Here's the current plan - would love to hear feedback as to whether we should make any changes:

Monday 3/9 - "Free Tours By Foot" tour of the HIstoric District; lunch at Husk; afternoon at Fort Sumter (boat leaves at 2:30pm); dinner TBD

Tuesday 3/10 - Pickup rental car; Shem Creek kayak tour; lunch at The Obstinate Daughter; go for a walk on the beach at Sullivan's Island; Patriot's Point in the afternoon; dinner at Hominy Grill

Wednesday 3/11 - Shopping & exploring HD in the morning; lunch at Magnolia's; Children's Museum of the Low County in the afternoon; dinner TBD

Thursday 3/12 - Pickup rental car; Middleton Place in the morning; lunch at the Tomato Shed; Angel Oak; Tea Plantation (trolley tour); oyster dinner at Bowen Island Restaurant

Friday 3/13 - Breakfast at WildFlour Pastry and then head to the airport

For our 2 other dinners I'm considering: FIG, Hank's Seafood, SNOB, Xiao Bao Biscuit and The Ordinary. Any recommendations as far as these are concerned (or maybe suggestions not mentioned)?

We also search out playgrounds whenever we travel - we've found it's a great way for the kids to use up some of their never-ending energy and for the parents to rest their tired feet. Two of the playgrounds I'd found that seem convenient to our hotel were the Hazel Parker Playground on East Bay Street and the Moultrie Playground on Ashley Avenue. Any other recommendations?

What else am I missing? We're excited about the trip and can't wait to explore Charleston and the surrounding areas!
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 08:36 AM

Don't forget the Aquarium!!
Our kids LOVED Xaio Bao--delicious.
You have quite a tour planned.
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 03:51 PM

Skip Hank's.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 03:22 AM

It's been a while but our kids (same ones as above--like good food) enjoyed Hank's. But I haven't seen it mentioned here in years now. Always good to have an update.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Xiao Bao thumbs up, Gretchen. Did you do the Aquarium & the Children's Museum? Thinking we may only have time for one or the other.

Also, appreciate the feedback on Hank's, Ackislander. It is on my list due to the proximity to our hotel, but it seems like there are better options.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 02:26 PM

If your kids like animals (especially birds....)here's another place to visit when you have the car: http://www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org/index.php
Their show and exhibits are very impressive and it's an easy drive from Charleston.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 04:03 PM

Do the Aquarium. I don't know anything about the "children's museum" but my experience with them elsewhere leaves me cold.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

MP07950 - thank you for recommending The Center For Birds of Prey. It looks like something we would all enjoy. Can you recommend any restaurants nearby for a good lunch?
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 10:53 AM

joygerm.....we have done both with our granddaughter (who is 2 1/2)...the children's museum is better for her. For the ages of your kids, I'd go with the Aquarium.

I recommend Hominy Grill for lunch. DH and I had an early dinner at Magnolia this past weekend and was surprised at the number of kids there. I think if you want to dine early, it is a place to consider.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 11:03 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
A group of us from the travel site, travelgumbo.com, had a meet-up in Charleston and several blogs resulted. You might like to have a look:

http://www.travelgumbo.com/collectio...hCarolinaBlogs

"PortMoresby" here.
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 03:32 AM

The Seewee is near the Center for Birds of Prey. Don't let the the exterior fool you. It's an old roadhouse with the best fried shrimp ever.

There's a great playground in Mt Pleasant in the Old Village on Middle Street with a beautiful view of the harbor.
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 03:47 AM

Oh, and fried pickles and a lot of panache!!
McClellannville isn't too far from Seewee for a look at a fishing village/waterfront.

I need to say that our "kids" who liked XioBao are adult foodies!!
My problem with children's museums (and I haven't taken anyone to the one in Charleston but have in Denver) is that they are play areas of stuff you have at home, and if there are crafts, well, also things you could do at home. Fortunately the OP got good first hand advice.
)
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

SeeWee looks great as does the playground in Mt Pleasant - thank you!
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 06:51 PM

The aquarium is definitely worth a visit. Since it closes at 4, it might be best visited in the morning followed by lunch and HD. I would plan on at least 4 hours with kids. Don't miss the touch tank. It's fun and not just for the kiddos!

Waterfront park has cool fountains and a pier. It's close to the open air market which is a hit with kids; My 16 year old insists we go every time we are in Charleston lol. If you head down East Bay after Waterfront Park, there is the Hazel Parker playground on the left; a hidden gem in the HD. Whitepoint Gardens/the battery has cannons that the kids like climbing on and a view of some of the gorgeous houses at the point. Dolphins can often been seen here.

Patriot's Point is huge and could easily take all day. After kayaking, beach time and lunch, walking around three ships might be a lot. The Yorktown is huge in and of itself. A different part of the HD might fit the bill.

They should love the Angel Oak and the Ft. Sumpter boat ride and tour!

As for dining... The Ordinary has a a challenging menu for a lot of kids. SNOB has been easier at lunch than dinner when my son was pickier than he is now, but still is sometimes limited in finding something that will work. (At 11 knew what an amuse-bouche was when it was served but there are often one or two ingredients that make a dish a no-go.) SNOB is part of the Maverick Group...only High Cotton has a children's menu - and only at brunch and lunch. I'm sure the kitchens can accommodate requests, but only you know how adventurous your kids are in the dining department. Wild Olive (the same group as The Obstinate Daughter) is great and out past the Angel Oak and works for a lot of kids. Their smash fried truffle potatoes set the bar.