Reload this Page >

Spring Break in California!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Bob

My wife, two teenage daughters, and I are spending the first week of April 2002 in California. We're looking for someplace nice to stay and things to do in the Wine Country. We're willing to spend some money; we're looking for an experience that we can't get in the Midwest. Wine tasting is not really our thing. Any ideas anyone?

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Sandy

Wine tasting is THE BIG thing to do in the wine country. There are the mud baths in Calistoga, lots of great eating opportunities, (especially the CIA), taking the wine train for lunch or dinner. I hope someone else can be more helpful.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:49 PM
carolyn

The Vintage Inn in Yountville is nice. Also Auberge de Soleil in Rutherford offers great rooms as well as great food. There are alot of B&B's in the area. One thing, Napa city limits is just south of the wine country action, so a room in Yountville-Calistoga on Hwy 29 or Silverado Trail is more desirable. Wine tasting and tours is the major attraction in this area and 3 full days should be plenty of time. For the rest of the week, I would suggest you go over to Hwy 1 on the Pacific Coast and drive north about as far as Mendocino, for an experience unlike anything in the midwest. In Fort Bragg, the Skunk Train taken halfway into the Redwoods and back is a great experience and very scenic. Mendocino is an art colony with good shopping, galleries, food and accomodations.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Wendy

My family does not drink either, but we enjoy touring the wineries. There are a few that will show you how and where they produce wines. It's fun to see.

Do you like cheese? My favorite stop is the Sonoma Cheese Store in Sonoma Plaza(http://www.sonomajack.com/): loads of different flavored cheeses to sample plus a deli. Buy a sandwich, some cheese and apples, have a picnic in the park across the street.

I second the rec to drive along the coast, especially Mendocino. It will be beautiful in April. There are many little towns along the coast that will be nice to stop in, grab a bite, and peruse the art galleries and shops.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:16 AM
kam

Why are you going to the wine country if you aren't interested in tasting wines? I honestly think it will be boring for your teenaged daughters. How about Tahoe, Monterey/Carmel,Yosemite, or as others suggest the beautiful Mendocino coast? You certainly can't find scenery like that in the Midwest.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Susan

Yes, Yosemite! The kids will enjoy it more and you will not believe the amazing scenery!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Bob

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Driving up the coast is especially appealing to us; my wife and I did this trip 20 years ago. We did intend to include Tahoe (skiing) in our trip, as well as some time in San Francisco. The Wine Country was something to do in between. Sounds like we may be better off veering north.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:14 PM
kam

Bob, Between SF and Mendocino plan a day at least in the Point Reyes National Seashore. Wonderful place with hikes and rangers to explain things. Bolinas is famous for bird watching, the Pt. Reyes Lighthouse is fun, there's a Miwok Indian Village recreation, you can even do a hike and picnic with a llama (call Llama Adventures at 415-488-9533)! Five Brooks Ranch offers horseback rides through Pt. Reyes too. French friends took their then 13 year old daughter on both of these and it totally made her California trip! Seven years later she's still talking about it! Rent Alfred Hitchcock's movie, The Birds, ahead of time and then stay in Bodega Bay at the Inn at the Tides where some it was filmed. You can also see the old schoolhouse but it's now a private house. The Sonoma coast is often bypassed by folks in a hurry to get to Mendocino, but it's a great part of California.