Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Spring break, Annapolis, Chicago or North Carolina?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends and I are all college students and we are looking into Spring break destinations. We're trying to avoid the traditional places, and have narrowed it down to Annapolis, Chicago, and North Carolina (Emerald Island?).
First, off, are there any fun places in these areas that we should hit? Any recommendations as to which ones are the best spots for just a group of friends who want to hang out and have a good time?
(We will be going March 7-March 14)
Also, are there any suprisingly inexpensive yet decent hotels, motels, etc in the area? We ARE college students after all...
Thank you so much!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:41 AM

In NC you might enjoy Wrightsville Beach at Wilmington more than Emerald Isle. It won't be warm enough to go in the ocean.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Brutforce

Myrtle Beach is still a good Spring Break destination if you are looking for typical Spring Break type activities.

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Keep in mind that in chicago it will still be snowing and there may still be ice in the lake, so if you are looking for a place to hang out in bathingsuits you might want to rethink that. Other than that, chicago is great.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:15 AM

Gabi-- Rethink your destination--

CHICAGO is freezing in March.
NC beaches are more geared to families--

Myrtle Beach should be right up your alley----tons of college kids.

Annapolis is fun, but not for a full week- you would go nuts.

Why not try for SOUTH BEACH in MIAMI- it's a fun happening place for kids and the hotel rooms are NOT out of sight, price-wise. You could easily get 4 kids to a room...but someone needs to be 21....
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice. I realize I wasn't very clear in my last post.
So, let me clarify. We ARE aware that Chicago is cold. We are looking for nontypical spring break spots. We don't want to be surrounded by drunken college students, as we are all relatively sober college students, besides, if we want that we can just stay where we are. All we are really looking for is for nontypical fun activities in Chicago (where we will not pack our bathing suits...lol) Annapolis (boring or no, we will have cars and therefore may want to stop into DC for a day or so, or surrounding areas) and North Carolina (which is the furthermost south we wish to go as this will be the traditional road trip beginning in Northeastern Ohio)
Basically anything that is interesting and cool that is not the standard fare.
Again, thank you soo much for your suggestions so far, and I hope this clarifies my request a bit.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:11 PM

I have been to all three locations. It would seem to me that, if you are interested in being fairly active and don't mind the cold, Chicago might be the best choice.
Annapolis is great for a day. Does anyone in your group know how to sail?
A friend likes to rent a sailboat for a weekend and go exploring along the Chesapeake. Regardless, I would spend some time investigating some of the small towns on the Eastern Shore. Plus, stops at Baltimore and DC are worth it.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:34 PM

I wouldn't recommend Chicago at that time except that you may want to visit with an eye towards moving here after graduation. Although the skies will be cold and gray, there are enough shops, museums, restaurants and bars to keep anyone busy. Look at the Doubletree or Fitzpatrick Hotels for a suite at good rates. Keep in mind that Chicago can be quite expensive. For instance, parking your car downtown will add $25-30 a day.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:39 PM
LN

Annapolis is a great place but MARCH?? You can't go sailing in March unless the weather really changes. We do have some great sightseeing around with the Naval Academy, St Johns College (eating crabs) visiting DC and all the fun things there around Dupont Circle and then up to Baltimore for any fun things there. I love it here in Annapolis but I think I'd prefer to have visitors come in warmer weather.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:48 PM

I agree with LN. I grew up in Md. and I made the trip back last year. If you did go-base in Annapolis will still allow you to enjoy the Naval Academy, shops/restaurants there, get your fill of crab dishes. AND there's so much to do in the D.C. area. The museums will take many days to get thru-you don't eant to miss them. Try hotwire for some great hotel rates up there. We got the Hilton in Alexandria for $60. nite! And we went in Nov. You can then scoot around town on the metro very cheap! I vote for MARYLAND!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 02:46 PM

Gabi, there's a reason why the traditional places are traditional. They're a hell of a lot warmer than the places you mention.

Let's get these foolish ideas of Chicago in March out of your head. Pack your bikini, young lady--it's Daytona or bust!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:16 PM

March wouldn't be my first choice for visiting Chicago but certainly there is enough indoor activity in Chicago to keep someone busy for a week if the weather is bad. There are many fabulous museums-Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Adler Planetarium are the big ones. Plus there's high end shopping on Michigan Avenue, funkier stores in the neighborhoods, a great free zoo, a wide variety of restaurants in all price ranges, lots of lower budget theater options including a hot tix 1/2 price booth.

That weekend is St. Patrick's Day weekend and you should be able to find lots of celebrations throughout the city not to mention the annual dyeing of the Chicago River and a big parade.

Hotels can be pricey but you can try Priceline where I've seen people get fabulous prices. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com first. Or you can try www.877chicago.com. Or there's a relatively new youth hostel on the edge of the loop but that would probably only be cost effective if there were only a couple of you.

Some good websites for ideas on what to do in Chicago are www.chireader.com, www.metromix.com and www.877chicago.com.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Jen

Cripes people, it's not like Chicago's in Antarctica-- and of your three cities, I think that it's the best choice, with the most fun, offbeat things to do. As the previous poster mentioned, check metromix.com and the Chicago Reader (chireader.com)for a wealth of information about things to do.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 09:59 AM

Of course it isn't, I live here and rather like it, but believe me, I've had to deal with several complaints about the weather from visiters and newcomers. So I thought I'd give a fair warning. Personally, I think that this is a great place to visit, the winter has its own charm and there is nothing quite like going for a walk in the snow through grant park. I just did that the other day when it was snowing, and loved it.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 11:46 AM

Chicago has the most of your choices going on. It will be cold, but as long as you realize that it shouldn't deter you from going. I've been there in Jan,Feb, March, June, December....and I was able to enjoy it despite the weather(good or bad)......jazz/blues clubs, restaurants, bars, sports (bulls,blackhawks)....it is a place where there are limitless options to keep oneself entertained.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 05:53 PM

We're going to Chicago over Spring Break, the week after St. Pat's. We know it will be cold, but I've been to Chicago several times in December, and I love it then as well. We're planning all indoor activities -- museums, etc. If you don't mind a cold breeze and possible snow, it's a great town!
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 06:09 PM

Have you considered Toronto? I am near you (in Michigan) and right now, that city holds the biggest interest for me. Just a thought. -Happy Trails!
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 07:34 PM

I have to second Toronto. With the exchange rate, you'd save a TON of money. Its a great city with lots of things to do. It would probably offer the same activities as Chicago would and, like I said, with your US dollar, you'd save a bundle. Just make sure you bring a tuque.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:42 AM
Cassandra

First, "gabi..", let me congratulate you and your friends on your priorities and your thoughtfulness. You sound like the sort of college kids I'd like to know and love to have in one of my classes.

Second, I've lived in Chicago, the DC area and now in NC, so I think I have a little insight into all three options.

Chicago has a LOT going on, but you won't be able to do much of it cheaply, and as everyone keeps saying, the weather can be dicey. Aside from the great museum-ing and the aquarium, the music "scene" is great from classical to jazz to R&B, although the latter two will put you in slightly-to-very funky venues. (Tip: Skip the Sears tower and do the bar -- gingerale if you want -- at the top of the Prudential on the Magnificent mile: better view, less tourist hype.) Navy Pier is good for an afternoon and/or evening. But one of the best things to do there, believe it or not, is the architectural boat tour (not the regular floating-bar boat tour), which would be painfully cold on most March days. I'd check www.citysearch.com to see if they have a calendar of events for that week.

Annapolis: Everyone's right -- it's worth about a day. Otherwise, there's plenty to do bopping into DC AND Baltimore, with its Inner Harbor. But you really can't use Annapolis as a base of operations because it's just too far, through too rotten traffic, with poor public transport, to commute back and forth. Better to use Baltimore or DC as base.

NC: Okay, now a plug for my home state. Emerald Isle or the towns in that area will not be "up and running" so early in the season although people will be there, but I've taken some great pictures on those lovely beaches at that time of year. It may only be in the 50s or 60s, but maybe there's a place with an indoor pool? However, let me suggest you consider the Wilmington/Wrightsville area -- again, it's probably not beachy-beachy weather yet and it's not a big spring-break place like Myrtle, but the city of Wilmington is a very interesting place, has become a combo of historical seacost town and Hollywood east. I don't honestly think you can occupy an entire week "doing" the area, but you can always migrate south and check out what's between there and Myrtle.

The suggestion of Toronto is intriguing, one of my favorite cities --has much less snow than the US cities on the other side of the lake and is a world-class city at Canadian-dollar prices. (If you're really hardy, try Montreal/Quebec.)

Love your exploring spirit. Go for it.