Search

Spreading Ashes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spreading Ashes

Greetings,
I am spreading my husband's ashes in Lake Tahoe next week. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a location that is somewhat discreet, easy access and by the water.
Thanks very much,
Kelley
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:08 AM

You don't need recommendations from strangers. Just go, walk around and select a spot you feel is right.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:34 AM
jor

This reminds me of someone a few years ago who wanted to spread her husband's ashes in the place he loved the most. The Black Hills of South Dakota. A TV morning show was to telecast it live, and local authorities found out about it and stopped and delayed it. A local Indian Reservation, Pine Ridge I think, granted her permission and their wishes were granted. So I guess the best thing to do is not advertise it to the locals.

My will specifies spreading of ashes in a certain place. And damn it, it will be done!!! Makes me happy thinking about the event.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:35 AM

You might want to check the laws regarding this. I know that California eased their restrictions on scattering ashes a few years ago, but as far I as know it is still illegal to spread cremains over inland bodies of water and on public lands.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM

Dear Samclay,
I do not know this area, but I wanted to offer my condolences on your loss. I hope you had many beautiful memories and that you find a lovely spot to continue reflecting on your journey.
God bless.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:37 AM

Kelley, my condolences for your loss as well. You do have to be discreet about spreading ashes in certain places in CA. But as long as no one sees, you should be fine.

We took a boat out into Long Beach Harbor not too long ago to spread a friend's ashes out beyond the breakwater (this is actually illegal without a specific permit)-- but this was his final wish (after four years of fighting cancer, he deserved it!) and we stealthily did it and felt good about it. We then went and had a memorial brunch (with lots of champagne and fun stories). A little like a wake, but with omelettes. Not a lot of tears and lots of laughter-- the way he would have wanted it. Everyone deserves a good send-off, I say.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:45 AM

We spread our uncle's ashes at Hilton Head. There are laws when putting ashes in the ocean. You have to go out either 2 or 3 miles (can't remember which one). We did a charter fishing boat deal, but or course did not fish. We had a little memoral service on the boat and then put them into the ocean. It was quite nice!!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 09:43 AM

My brother's ashes are spread on a mountain pass in Colorado that he loved and a mountain peak in West Virginia. Later we had an outdoor memorial service with good food, good friends, lots of laughter, small amount of tears and lots of funny stories. I miss him.

SusiQ
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:54 AM

SuzieQ,
I'm sure your brother felt himself lucky to have a sister like you too. Blessings and comfort to you dear.

Pilgrim
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:09 PM

We spread my father's ashes in Long Island Sound, where he died while fishing. It felt very good to return him to a place he loved.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 04:49 PM

If you get stuck, ask a local small, family run funeral home for unofficial suggestions.

My father wanted his ashes spread in his favorite fishing lake in an incredibly remote part of Maine. There was no way we could do this ourselves (how nice you can do this yourself for your husband), but a truly wonderful funeral director in the closest (tiny) town was able to make all the arrangements for us.