Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who knew?? Canadians are healthier, wealthier, work less, live longer and have more sex than Americans.

Search

Who knew?? Canadians are healthier, wealthier, work less, live longer and have more sex than Americans.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read about it in the latest Macleans

http://tinyurl.com/6omydq
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks for posting the article. So true!!!
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:06 AM

Well I really do HATE to throw water on your little self-congratulatory party (what took you so long to figure this out yourselves is beyond some of us down here)...BUT, a LOT of us have known that the "America (the US) is the greatest" myth has been that for some time...a myth..perpetuated and sometimes with rather disastrous results.

Watch it all unfold as the year progresses and be glad you remain "Unarmed Americans with healthcare!"
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Hmmm... not sure I know how to respond. Congratulations, I guess. You must be very pleased with yourselves. :^p
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:56 AM

... yes, but Americans still have the right to 'freedom of speech' unlike Canadians and MacLeans in particular!!

LOL

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Huh? What?

What limits are there on free speech in Canada?

Huh? Huh? What am I not getting, bro?

Baffled and confused (also kinda bored by all witless "LOL"-themed interventions)I remain

TG
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:49 PM

BTW, we're better-looking too. And gosh-darn-it, people like us!
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 08:46 AM

So true - people do like us! In travels to Europe people often assume we are American (more Americans travel) but when they find out we are Canadian they apologize profusely.

Once in Scotland the owner of the B&B in which I was staying mistook me for Amercian. After correcting him he went out and bought me a beautiful book on Scotland and told me it was because he was "...so happy to have a Canadian and not an American..." and he felt bad for making the wrong assumption. (He was the owner of a B&B I was staying at in St. Andrews.) He said in his experience Canadians are more polite and kind and quiet. Just his view...it is difficult for me to be objective in this situation! Who knows? He may have had just one negative experience in the past.

Believe me, I have nothing against Americans (I used to work in the US and have many US friends). Sometimes it seems as though our reputation may be a bit better. I realize this is a sweeping generalization but from what others say I think it can be true.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM

"He said in his experience Canadians are more polite and kind and quiet."

Compliments from persons expecting a tip are to be taken with a grain of salt.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM

travel2live2- Watch your back! I said something similar about a trip we took to Ireland and was the subject of much hostility.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:40 PM

"Believe me, I have nothing against Americans (I used to work in the US and have many US friends). Sometimes it seems as though our reputation may be a bit better. I realize this is a sweeping generalization but from what others say I think it can be true"

Yes, it's a sweeping generalization - I've seen appalling behaviour from Canadians abroad AND besides, when you know many Americans read these posts, it's just plain rude to make these comments here.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM

Not to put too fine an edge on it but, like any identifiable group, we have our share of dicks. Fortunately, they're in politics so nobody really thinks they're emblematic anyway.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM

And it looks like we'll be hearing way too much from them over the next few weeks.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Only if SH stamps his wittle feet.

That Diefenbaker icebreaker thing is nothing short of astonishing. Of course, if our neighbours to the south recognise the name, it's only as a Mountie's© sidekick
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:55 AM

Well SallyCanuck thank you. I say that as regarding in all of my travels the rudest person I ever ran into was a Canadian in Vancouver, BC. But I didn't put him in the classification of the typical Canadians. Not at all. I love your beautiful country and your people.

Travel2live2, your post makes me sad. And may I say if I were travelling anywhere and the comment was made to me in reverse I would stand up for you Canadians. I am sorry that I clicked on this thread.

Old Aug 30th, 2008, 06:33 AM

I agree with you Loveitaly. Sally you are spot on, IMO and thanks for your support.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM

As a Canadian may I say that I love our neighbours to the South.

They are friendly, open and hospitable people. We share so much in common that I take it as an insult when others criticize them and always stand up for them.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Thank you Royal. I say that as a granddaughter of a Scot who was born and raised in your Maritime Islands.

As said before, I love your beautiful Canada and you Canadians. Dear Kodi will be here in San Francisco shortly and I am so looking forward to seeing her.

Part of my heart is in your country and please know that everyone I know that has had the pleasure of visiting your Canada has fallen in love with your country. Most of us think of you as our "northern cousins". Best regards.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 03:52 AM

LoveItaly - glad you stayed around to hear that many of us love our American neighbours.

Our two countries are so closely linked both geographically and culturally it's important that we support each other.

We have the privilege of spending 3 months every year in Florida and love every minute of our time there. It is truly a privilege that we are able to be able to do this.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 08:04 AM

Royal, we will be coming to Canada in 2 weeks. We will be visiting Niagara on the Lake 3 days, Toronto 4 days and Niagara Falls 2 days. We love our Canadian cousins too .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -