Spokane, whitefish/glacier, banff

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2024, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a summer vacation with our two young adult children. We have options to go june 9 or wait til July. Planning on flying into Spokane, spending one night near airport and heading to whitefish for our base to go into glacier. We have five nights reserved on Marriott points. Then we drive to Banff for 5 nights on Marriott points there. Then we head back to Spokane and spend the night before flying home. If we go in June, will roads be open? And we have to reverse our trip and do Spokane to banff to glacier (whitefish) to Spokane. Any advice or feedback on planning the trip would be appreciated.
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 12:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Knowing what I know about the fully open date of the Going to the Sun Road, I say wait until July. The parking lot at the top of Logan Pass is usually cleared of snow about June 15. The trails out of there may still be covered with more than a foot of snow.
As for getting to Whitefish from Spokane, I like the Amtrak Empire Builder. The eastbound EB leaves Spokane after 11PM (PT) and arrives in Whitefish about 8AM (MT). In July you should be able to rent a car at or near the Whitefish train station.