Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Specific Ethnic Restaurant Suggestions For VA Beach Area

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 08:58 PM
Lowell

I'll be vacationing in VA Beach later this summer. Just wondering if any locals in the area and/or vacationers in the past have suggestions for Italian, Chinese, Mexican, and/or seafood restaurants. Not limited to just VA Beach. Would also venture to Norfolk, Chesapeake, etc. (anywhere in south Hampton Roads). Thanks.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 04:29 PM
mike

Hi Lowell - I lived in Va. Bch for awhile & here are a few suggestions: Mexican: El Azteca on Laskin Rd about 5 or so miles from the beach. Authentic & cheap! Try the white salsa with your chips & if u like it - u can purchase some to go. Italian: Il Giordano right at the oceanfront on Atlantic. Maybe a little pricey but always seemed to be voted as one of the best Italian rests. in town. Seafood: definitely Captain George's seafood buffett. Bring your appetite to this one! Some of the best & freshest seafood I've ever had. About $20.-$25 per person, also on Laskin Rd. a few miles from beach. Also HIGHLY recommended is the Jewish Mother - 2 blocks from beach at corner of Pacific & Laskin (there's that road again!) Great deli sandwiches & to-kill-for cheescake. The joint also has live music most nights if you are into that. Hope that helps. Enjoy!

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 05:53 PM
beth

Lowell,

Listen to Mike! He has recommended some of the best places for food in Va Beach. Probably the tourists read about Captain George's (great seafood buffet despite the tourists) and they may even know about the Jewish Mother (fabulous sandwiches and desserts) but only someone in the know knows about Azteca. Great great food! So listen to Mike!

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Pepe from Pomona

Taco Bell, its the best you will find in all of Virginia.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 09:17 AM
jklein

I vacationed in Virginia Beach last summer, and I'm sorry to say that I thought Captain George's seafood buffet was awful. The shrimp was soggy and their selection was poor. I thought a beach front restaurant would have fresher seafood. I do have to say though, when our waitress noticed that I was not enjoying my meal, she comped it! Enjoy your stay and after you take your one day at Virginia Beach, because it's mostly touristy garbage stores, venture out...it's much nicer away from the little town.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 11:21 AM
Sioux

Capt. George's Seafood Restaurant is not on the beach front. It is a couple miles up from the beach on Laskin Rd. so you must be mistaking it with another restaurant. Capt. George's is a great seafood restaurant. My favorite Italian restaurant is Pasta and Pani, also on Laskin Rd. Very authentic food!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 06:38 AM
rb-traveler

Indian Food: Nawab

Colonial Road, east side just N of intersection w/ Laskin Rd. Also in Williamsburg near Monticello & Richmond Rd. Good food, good service. Wburg location has weekday lunch buffet, not sure about the Beach location. Some other locations too, but not sure of them at this time.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 06:43 AM
virginia is for mothers

I, too, was disappointed with Captain George's--they should rename that place Major Disappointment.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 08:20 AM
E.

There's another Nawab in Newport News, on Jefferson-but that's too far from VA Beach. If you make it to Norfolk, I recommend the Wild Monkey on Colley Avenue in Ghent. It's a young, fun place with serious food and wacky atmosphere.