Special consideration

Search

Special consideration

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Special consideration

So often there is mention of people informing hotels of honeymooners.
I can't remember reading about seasoned citizens receiving special treatment.
Can anyone talk about special treatment for this group, besides AARP?
We are coming up on 49 years in September, and, I wonder if we can receive this very special treatment that newlyweds receive.
Thanks very much.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:10 PM

If you want the same treatment as newlyweds get married !!!

What next? Newlyweds will be demanding equal treatment with "seasoned citizens" whoever and whatever they are.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Orchid, I assume you mean you're coming up on your 49th wedding anniversary, and if so congratulations to you and your husband.

A lot of places offer a bottle of champagne or flowers for newlyweds -many of whom get divorced not too long after - so why not offer something nice to someone coming up on 49 or 50 years of marriage. If I were you, I would mention it when making your reservation. If nothing happens, no big deal, but at least you tried. There's something to be said about a couple that can spend that many years together...happily I hope. My parents and in-laws celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary's last year just week apart and they are memories that we will all cherish! Good luck to you.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much "Knock it off already"
We are people who have worked very hard and not expected things to be handed to us when we were at a very young age.
We worked very, very hard to accomplish
a worthwhile goal. Sad to say, there are individuals who badmouth even seasoned citizens.
Thanks for the support.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:59 PM

Please enlighten me. What is a "seasoned citizen". I might be one myself.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:05 PM

Rusty, I think it is a person that is a little peppery.

ORCHID, just tell the hotel that you and your partner are celebrating an anniversary. They will give you any special treatment that they would someone with a birthday or just married.
Sometimes, when someone has been married many years, they give that couple the honeymoon suite!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:14 PM

"I don't know nuthin' 'bout no seasoned citizens, Miss Scarlett. "
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

WOW-this is a MAJOR problem with our beautiful country at this time.
People who have no knowledge of the definition of ""seasoned citizen".
Instead that person? chose to be insulting.
I asked a simlple question.
Why should newlyweds have such priority over people who have worked for years?
Just because they are newly married?
Readjust the values of our society.
Also, to smart ?people like scarlett, a little education would be very helpful.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 06:13 PM

orchid,
Obviously, I am not quite as intelligent as you think you are but I did look up something you seem to be missing..
Sense of Humor:
that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous
b : the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous
c : something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing
synonym see WIT

Rusty--
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 06:13 PM

Now then, I'm stunned that people don't seem to be able to figure this out. I've never heard the term before, but it just doesn't take a great leap of intelligence to figure out that a "seasoned" citizen is a nice invention and a much preferable term to "elderly," "senior citizen," "golden ager," or "old poop."

But I sure wish I knew the correct term to use for young poops.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 11:07 PM

Orchid, if you are celebrating your anniversary during the stay of your trip, most good hotels will make the effort and have a bottle of champagne in your room. B and Bs will go the extra mile and have flowers, etc. So let your travel agent know so she can inform them when she books. And congratulations!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:05 AM

Why would people who didn't expect things to be handed to them at a young age expect that things should be handed to them because they are now "seasoned citizens" ?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:41 AM

Because they have spent decades contributing to their family, their community and the nation -- and, if they've been married for 4 decades, being role models for those who are just beginning the process and might be inclined to treat relationships as disposable.

Commercial enterprises set aside certain special arrangements, but their designations -- "honeymoon suite" -- are based on marketing strategies. If for no other reason, they would be smart to expand the number of market segments they are trying to entice, esp. if it's a growing population.

But finally, I don't know why Rusty deserves an answer -- clearly a major grump and provocateur (fancy name for something else).

Orchid: congrats. And I don't see why you can't straightforwardly say, "do you have any special accommodations for people on a 49-year honeymoon?" or perhaps something a little less treacly. You could start a trend and hoteliers would be well-advised to pick up on it.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:43 AM
cfc

So, are you Rusty or Scarlett or both?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:14 AM

cfc-
if you will notice, I did try to give orchid some advice, adding a little humor, although that did not go over well, I see.
I always post as myself.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:17 AM
OliveOyl

Yikes...I feel like I'm treading on eggshells here, but want to tell this story anyway. This truly isn't a heartless, soul-less, industry and gee whiz, hoteliers even do some things just because some are really good people, and enjoy the fun of making a good time for some seasoned, or even not so seasoned, citizens. Every act need not be motivated by a desire to enhance market position! LOL

An acquaintance's parents were celebrating their 50th anniversary this weekend. Their kids had decided to give them a trip to CA to visit other siblings, but for their special day, wanted to give them a nice dinner at one of the restaurants in our hotel, so X spoke with my husband to ensure a nice table etc. X has done well for himself but came from pretty humble beginnings I should add, and his parents live in a very modest area of east Tampa. My husband, hearing the circumstances, suggested we go one better, that instead of just coming for dinner, why don't we give them the Presidential suite for the night...a beautiful suite that has seen a steady stream of dignitaries. AND, wouldn't it be a great idea if we had them picked up by a chaufeured limo too. Then DH suggested to X that he find some pictures of his parents from early in their marriage, have them reproduced (gawd forbid don't bring us the originals!) and we could put those around the suite too. X says, "should we frame them?" Yes...frames too X!! LOL So he did, several, including a beautiful one of his Mom on her wedding day and the framed photos were placed all around the suite. Then for dinner, though X had suggested our more casual seafood restaurant, we also have a more expensive and more formal northern Italian restaurant at the top of the hotel. So X was asked if they really wanted the more casual seafood restaurant, or would they like to go to Armanis? X wasn't sure, so DH made reservations for them at both restaurants, and when they arrived at the hotel, they would be given their choice.

Haven't heard yet their reaction, seeing as it was just this weekend, but I know my husband got such a kick out of doing something to make their anniversary special...and for no other motivation than the fun of giving this elderly couple a WOW anniversary they'll never forget.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:26 AM

Don't worry Scarlett. Afterall, tomorrow will be another day !!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:07 AM

Methinks that orchid has been shorted on "special treatment" by her husband or designated hitter as Olive's Oil like to call them, since Truman was in office. Cut her a break, Rusty. The ol' gal just needs a taste of the good stuff to get her going on the right path again.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Tiiimeisonmyside

Everyone is up and posting before dawn! That's the 24/7 quality of this site that we adore.

We're pretty seasoned ourselves after a week of frolicking in The Berkshires. Almost caught JT and his flying machine, but the plans Suzanne and I made were changed.

We're back in the ghastly humidity for the morning. Our victualer delivered the fresh truffles, but score one for senility - had to come home to get M. Stewart's care guidelines for truffle fragments magnetizedized to the 'frig.

We're off now, but all the regulars are in our thoughts, and we wish you a happy week. If we cvan locate that cyber cafe in N. Adams, we might just tune in and find out what ever happened with poor orchid. Ta ta, for now.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Aaahh Olive what a lovely story. I bet that couple just about flipped when they saw that suite - with their own photos lined up! Your DH truly is a darling (that's for you BB). I hope my kids will feel the same about me as X's kids someday (right now they're teens and definitely not too keen on us parent-types)!

Orchid, you should take a hint from this story...don't feel "entitled" so much - maybe you'll be treated special just because you ARE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -