Search

Spas in the Keys?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spas in the Keys?

What are the best spas in the Keys. We are staying at Hawk's Cay for 5 nights and Island City House in Key West for 4 nights. We are regular spa-goers.....is there any "World class" spas in the keys? It doesn't need to be big (some of the best we've been to were tiny), just higly professional, nice ambiance, and excellent therapists. I have read very mixed reviews on the spa at Hawk's Cay where we currently have reservations.....
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:36 AM

I spend a lot of time in Key West but have only heard reviews of the spa at the Pier House - nothing spectacular, but fine. I suspect that if there were any "world class" spas I'd have heard of them.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 10:38 AM

You might check out Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:15 AM

spa at Pier House was a disappointment but I haven't been for over 3 years. Not many services as I remember. Cheeca Lodge has a very cool program that a friend tried and loved. Lots of spa services and a massage in an outdoor location that was wonderful. It's on my list. Make a report if you go.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I will let you know how things turn out. I'm not expecting much, so if it turns out good I will be pleasantly surprised rather than the other way around.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 10:34 AM

We stayed at Hawks Cay for a week last month. I had several spa treatments at their new Indies Spa and was very pleased, and i too am a regular "spa goer". I had an 80 minute tropical escape massage one day and a seaweed body mask/wrap another day and was impressed with the therapists, the ambiance, the level of professionalism. it was very clean and pleasant. there is a nice area with a large whirlpool, sauna and eucalyptus steam room. it was quiet too, considering that there is a children's Pirate Pool right outside. i would not hesitate to recommend the Indies Spa at Hawks Cay!
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:24 AM
GoTravel

I had a nice day at the Avanyu Spa at the Cheeca Lodge.

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Stellaluna: I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience at the Indies Spa, because my whole family has services booked for the 6 days we are there! I hope we have as good an experience as you.

So, has anyone RECENTLY tried the spa at Pier House in Key West? I thought I read it was recently remodeled.....and also I thought I read some good reviews somewhere (I can't keep track of everything I read!).
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

We all had a great experience at the Hawk's Cay Spa (even the kids!). I was a bit leary booking there based on what I read (and it didn't help when I called to book: the girl who answered the phone seemed to lack knowledge and be unorganized. It seems they were going through a staff turnover a few months back). So I was pleasantly surprised that everything went so well. The ambiance was nice: clean, relaxing, tropical ambiance, and professional. The facilities were very good, but not grand. The temp. in the steam room was a bit high and no one wanted to hang out in there for very long at all. We all had good therapists. I had a massage and the pineapple loofah scrub. The only note I will make, and I will make this for ALL spas I've had scrubs at, is they have to make the room a lot warmer during this service! When you're naked and wet on a table, even normal room temps. seem cold!

My "Carribean Cocoon" at Pier House Carribean Spa was very good. It was hands & feet dipped in paraffin (I'm used to this treatment, and in comparison, they had there wax temp. WAY too hot!), then an 85 minute full body massage. The actual treatment rooms and the lobby were clean and professional, but the locker rooms were kind of cramped and (the best word I can think to describe it) dumpy/cluttered. I didn't use the steam room or sauna, but they both looked small and univiting. No one was using either. You can definitely tell the difference between the old spa and the remodeled part! So, I WOULD recommend the actual spa services (there was a good menu with packages), but I wouldn't personally plan on using the other facilities.