Spahn's Bed and Breakfast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We experienced several major inconveniences during our two-night stay at the Eagle's Nest Cabin at Spahn's B&B in June 2007: (1) no electricity on the second day of our stay, (2) only 7 minutes of hot water in the shower, (3) undrinkable and un-sanitized water, and (4) unflexible 8am breakfast with overbearing host. First, on the morning of the second day of our stay, I tried to dry my hair with a travel hairdryer (nothing fancy). Apparently, this simple appliance was too much for the owner's self-designed solar energy source; it shorted out the electricity in the entire cabin. We reported the outage to the owner, but he did nothing to repair the short - which would have required a basic fuse from Home Depot. Second, while the owner's assistant claimed that the hot water in the shower would last for 30 minutes, it actually only last for 7 minutes (relaxing, eh?). Third, when we checked-in to the cabin, the owner warned us that he's never tested the water in the cabin and thus he would not drink it. He offered two bottles of water instead. Finally, the owners offer breakfast at 8am sharp (and at no other time) and they strongly recommend that visitors to arrive at 7:45am to have coffee. It's completely unflexible, fairly formal, and rather stiff. We were never asked about food allergies, requests, or needs. The lodge and cabin are located in a beautiful setting, but the accommodations do not warrant the $125/night charges - with or without electricity and hot water.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 04:49 AM

I doubt that many people have any idea where this property is located. You may want to add that in someplace. I know I don't.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. Spahn's B&B is located in Big Horn, Wyoming.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Hi Olivia,

Sorry you had such a disappointing experience. B&Bs are just that bed and breakfast and who knows what. The amenities and even the basics can vary hugely and, yes, the experience is flavored by the host/hostess.

I bet after this, the next time you try a B&B, you'll have a list of specific questions to ask!
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:43 AM

I would agree to ask lots of questions. I would have to say a cabin b&b in Wyoming is hugely different that an urban one such as mine with all the latest in amenitites would have. DEFINATELY, ask lots if you are unsure.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Based on my own traveling you are just as likely to have a lousy experience at a chain hotel as you are at a B&B, so I think the B&B bashing is unwarranted.
That said, if you are looking for a B&B, you might consider choosing one that belongs to an association, like a state B&B association or Select Registry - they typically have inspections and specific standards that must be met.
If this one was in an association, you might register a complaint with them about your service or register a complaint with the local tourism or town agencies. Having unsanitized water in the cabin seems inappropriate for a lodging facility.
As far as breakfast times go, be sure to ask about flexibility if you need it, but if the answer is no when you make the reservation and that's a problem for you, find another place to go. It probably won't change when you get there. Some innkeepers have inflexibility due to their lives (other jobs, etc. - innkeeping is not usually a money-making proposition) and simply can't accommodate other times. You don't have to stay there if it doesn't work for you.