Renaissance v. Westin Times Square

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner & I will be visiting NYC in June for the first time. It's a birthday & honeymoon thing so we really want it to be nice, though we're past the great romantic thing! Having read loads I'm stuck between these two hotels.... The Westin sounds good as far as decor & amenities go and I'm intrigued by the 'heavenly' beds & bath but I've read the location is a little dubious. The Renaissance seems to get good reviews but the photo's I've seen look pretty standard hotel. All helpful comments gratefully received!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:24 PM

The Westin is one block from Times Square, so no great veiws, but an okay hotel. Rooms are on the small side. Never stayed at the Renaissance and don't think I'd pick it because there are so many other nice hotels in the area. The Muse on 46th street is right off of Broadway, is smaller and about the same price. The beds there are even better than at The Westin. Best I've slept in in Nyc. It has a quaint little bar to stop in for a drink or two before or after your night out.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:28 PM

I like the Westin a lot, but the neighborhood is typically Times Square (and right across from Port Authority). That said, I liked me room and thought the bed and bathroom were really great.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Stayed at the WEstin and our oom was a good size for NY hotel rooms. We did have a corner room so that may have made a difference. The rooms were decorated witha modern flare- gray, black and white. Great beds. Didn't think the heavenly showers/bath were all that great from any other showers. I did not thnk the location was that bad. One block off of TImes Square.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:11 PM

We stayed at the Westin last October and it was wonderful! A corner room is a must as they are larger and have great, large corner windows. We had great views! We saw 4 Broadway shows and thought the location was perfect! I personally, love the Heavenly beds...that's why I always check Westin first for rooms when we travel.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:06 PM

We stayed at the Renaissance and liked it very much--our room was large, beautiful and luxurious.

Our favorite Times Square is the Doubletree--it's also very nice, and we love having a suite.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy to be in or close to Times Square for the central convenience so it looks like the Westin since comments seem to be good..... though Foleys Fish House does sound good!! Is Shula's good too? Decisions, decisions!!...
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:37 AM

I'm a little late replying to this but we stayed at the Rennaisance in Dec 03 and absolutely loved it. The staff were magnificent, despite it being an incredible busy time of year. The room was lovely also and very very clean. I don't think that we would stay anywhere else now when visiting NYC we were so impressed.
I would highly recommend staying there, Breakfast as Foleys was lovely, though couldn't eat there everyday, it was a bit pricey. Can't tell you about dinner as we're veggies so a Seafood Restaurant doesn't appeal! But I imagine as with everything in this hotel it will be excellent.
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Rob

You can' t go wrong with either. The Renaissance is the northern end of Times Square (47th St.). The entrance to the Westin is at 43rd St. and 8th Ave., one block (a long one) west of Broadway and Times Square.
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Haven't stayed at the Westin, but have stayed at the Renaissance many times. It is very quiet and elegant.