Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Renaissance v. Westin Times Square (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/renaissance-v-westin-times-square-426451/)

luvly Apr 28th, 2004 12:17 PM

Renaissance v. Westin Times Square

My partner & I will be visiting NYC in June for the first time. It's a birthday & honeymoon thing so we really want it to be nice, though we're past the great romantic thing! Having read loads I'm stuck between these two hotels.... The Westin sounds good as far as decor & amenities go and I'm intrigued by the 'heavenly' beds & bath but I've read the location is a little dubious. The Renaissance seems to get good reviews but the photo's I've seen look pretty standard hotel. All helpful comments gratefully received!

suse Apr 28th, 2004 12:24 PM

The Westin is one block from Times Square, so no great veiws, but an okay hotel. Rooms are on the small side. Never stayed at the Renaissance and don't think I'd pick it because there are so many other nice hotels in the area. The Muse on 46th street is right off of Broadway, is smaller and about the same price. The beds there are even better than at The Westin. Best I've slept in in Nyc. It has a quaint little bar to stop in for a drink or two before or after your night out.

MikeT Apr 28th, 2004 12:28 PM

I like the Westin a lot, but the neighborhood is typically Times Square (and right across from Port Authority). That said, I liked me room and thought the bed and bathroom were really great.

salgal Apr 28th, 2004 12:42 PM

Stayed at the WEstin and our oom was a good size for NY hotel rooms. We did have a corner room so that may have made a difference. The rooms were decorated witha modern flare- gray, black and white. Great beds. Didn't think the heavenly showers/bath were all that great from any other showers. I did not thnk the location was that bad. One block off of TImes Square.

jewelhawg Apr 28th, 2004 01:11 PM

We stayed at the Westin last October and it was wonderful! A corner room is a must as they are larger and have great, large corner windows. We had great views! We saw 4 Broadway shows and thought the location was perfect! I personally, love the Heavenly beds...that's why I always check Westin first for rooms when we travel.

abram Apr 28th, 2004 06:06 PM

We stayed at the Renaissance and liked it very much--our room was large, beautiful and luxurious.

Our favorite Times Square is the Doubletree--it's also very nice, and we love having a suite.

luvly Apr 29th, 2004 03:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy to be in or close to Times Square for the central convenience so it looks like the Westin since comments seem to be good..... though Foleys Fish House does sound good!! Is Shula's good too? Decisions, decisions!!...

fionac May 29th, 2004 02:37 AM

I'm a little late replying to this but we stayed at the Rennaisance in Dec 03 and absolutely loved it. The staff were magnificent, despite it being an incredible busy time of year. The room was lovely also and very very clean. I don't think that we would stay anywhere else now when visiting NYC we were so impressed.
I would highly recommend staying there, Breakfast as Foleys was lovely, though couldn't eat there everyday, it was a bit pricey. Can't tell you about dinner as we're veggies so a Seafood Restaurant doesn't appeal! But I imagine as with everything in this hotel it will be excellent.

Rob May 29th, 2004 04:24 AM

You can' t go wrong with either. The Renaissance is the northern end of Times Square (47th St.). The entrance to the Westin is at 43rd St. and 8th Ave., one block (a long one) west of Broadway and Times Square.

KathyM May 30th, 2004 09:28 AM

Haven't stayed at the Westin, but have stayed at the Renaissance many times. It is very quiet and elegant.