Southwest US for 2 weeks in June

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southwest US for 2 weeks in June

Hello All, I just made air reservations for June 2-16. We are flying into Albequerque going to Santa Fe(3 nights) and would like advice on how to do the rest of our itinerary. Want to see Mesa Verde, Canyonlands and Arches and other sites. What would you recommend. We did Zion & Bryce and GC and Sedona. Love to hike and see great sights. How would you do this trip? What places to stay? Thanks so much, Judy
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM

What a nice trip you have planned.

There is only one lodge (if you're not camping) in Mesa Verde -- the Far View Lodge. I understand some rooms have been renovated, but we were in a non-renovated room last summer that was basic and clean but not spacious. Their restaurant, the Metate Room, is excellent. It was a nice surprise to find such a great place in a national park. Some visitors only visit one ruin and others want to see absolutely everything. Be sure to take the ranger guided trips to either Balcony House or the Cliff Palace (or do both.) We spent two days and, while not getting to see everything, felt this was a good amount of time.

For Canyonlands and Arches, the most convenient place to stay is in Moab. You can do a search here for Moab hotels and get many recommendations. We stayed at the Aarchway Inn which is quite close to these two parks and were very happy with our choice. There is much to do in this area -- we stayed 3 days and barely scratched the surface. A highlight for us was an all day rafting trip on the Colorado river that we took with theTag-a-long company. There are many other river trip companies and choices of trips. I've heard 4 wheel drive Jeep trips in Canyonlands are wonderful, but we did not have time for that. Another place to visit is Dead Horse Point State Park for an amazing view. There is great hiking in Arches and the other parks.

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Kathryn, it did! MOab sounds like the place for Canyonland & Arches. You stayed there 3 days and I wonder if we should stay there for 4 nights? 3 days Santa Fe. 4 days Moab, one night in Albequerque on the way back. That leaves six nights left to fill. I will be reading my southwest info book soon.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 08:15 AM

It's a nice drive up from Santa Fe through Pagosa Springs to Mesa Verde and Moab. You go by Georgia O'Keefe's Abuquiu home and the red cliffs she painted. Beautiful mountain views without mountain driving.

You can add Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley to your list. Both highlights of anyone's trip.

This fall I drove from Moab through Bluff where I stayed overnight to see the wonderful pictographs on cliffs next to the San Juan River and drove around the tiny town of Bluff with bright pink victorian houses built by the Mormon settlers. I then drove through Monument Valley and on down to Canyon de Chelly. I would spend 2 nights in C.d C. so you can go on their day-long tour through the canyon.

It's an easy drive to Albuquerque with a stop-off at Acoma Pueblo, built on top of a mesa with much history and scenery. From C.d.C. I took the road along the top of the north canyon through Tsaile and on down to Ft. Defiance and Gallup. Very good road with lots of scenery.

This is a beautiful trip through pueblo land and navaho land. An author who writes about the Navaho country is Tony Hillerman. My favorite travel book is "Southwest USA, a Rough Guide" by Greg Ward. Packable and good on local history and what's important to see and what's not. Many posts here on where to stay and eat.

I hope you enjoy this wonderful country - I keep going back every year.

Judymichigan

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 09:27 AM

To check out Fodorite Utahtea's recommended itinerary for that area, search on "Four Corners." You really can't go wrong with it.

Be aware that Canyonlands and Arches is quite a distance away from Albequerque and that you didn't mention which city you are flying out of. There is SO much to do in the area of your arrival city that I would recommend saving Canyonlands and Arches for a different trip.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Just read through quite a few posts of Utahtea and others, and I ahve to say my head is getting dizzy from all the info! ;-). I looked at the US map and darn, that is big area! 3 Days Santa Fe, 3 days Durango? 4(or 5) days Moab? then down to near Monument Valley, to stay where? and how long, We need one night in Albeq, because we fly out from there. Can anyone help fill in the gaps?
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 10:12 AM

I would stay 4 or more nights in Santa Fe, at least 2 nights in Mesa Verde, 4 or more nights in Moab, 2 nights at Thunderbird Lodge in Canyon de Chelly, do all-day tour, drive through Mon. Valley to Alb. Or if you have time, a night or two in Mon. Valley or Kayenta and take the all-day tour, then to Alb.

I found Durango a nice small town but not much there compared to the other spectacular places mentioned.

This trip is easily doable (I've done it more than once) and nice long stays in some towns for sightseeing and, especially in S.F., shopping and eating. The roads are all good and no mountain driving.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 10:15 AM

Whoops, Mon. Valley comes before Canyon de Chelly. End your trip from C.d.C. to Alb. I can see it all in my mind and I want to go out there again right now!
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Seniormsuedu, I an still thinking this whole thing out. Your input is greatly appreciated .
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Hi Judy,

There are so many possibilities with so much time. It looks like you have narrowed it down.

I think if it were me, I'd do the 3 nights in Santa Fe.

2 nights either in Mesa Verde or Cortez, NM. That gives you a full day to see the park and get in one or two of the ranger guided tours.

4 nights in Moab. On you way there you might take the drive into Canyonlands, Needle District.

Three full days in Moab gives you a day each in Arches and Canyonlands. For the day into Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District you might be interested in renting a 4 wheel drive jeep in Moab and taking the Potash Road to the Shafer Trail into Canyonlands. Visit the park, stop at Dead Horse State Park before taking the Long Canyon 4 wheel drive road back to the Potash Road.

Make sure you take time to drive out Hwy 128 to Fisher Towers or take the 1/2 day float trip on the Colorado River. Since you like hiking you might want to go back into Arches to do other hikes.

2 nights either in Goulding, UT or Kayenta, AZ to see Monument Valley.

2 nights at Canyon de Chelly National Monument. Make sure you do either a half day or all day Indian guided tour into the valley. Well worth it!

Utahtea

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Utahtea for your input! It is highly appreciated . Where would YOU stay for Monument valley? And Canyon de Chelly? For Mesa Verde too? Is Durango too far from Mesa Verde? Durango looks so interesting IMO.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Judyrem,

We spent one night in Durango several years ago at the Strater Hotel. We took the railroad from Durango to Silverton and enjoyed it very much.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:24 AM

I totally agree with seniorsmuedu: "I found Durango a nice small town but not much there compared to the other spectacular places mentioned." IMO I would skip it.

Check out Gouldings Lodge in Monumnet Valley. It's where many westerns were filmed (john wayne movies, 'City Slickers' etc.) nestled into the stunning mesas. Be there by sunset and get up early for sunrise -- excellent photo ops from your private balcony!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Hi Judyrem,

Well, it's been almost 30 years since we stayed in the motel in Kayenta! I can recommend campgrounds or tell you about the views from certain areas.

I do know that there is a lodge in Goulding, UT which is right in the heart of Monument Valley & very scenic and a motel in Kayenta, AZ which is about 25 miles south. You don't see Monuement Valley from Kayenta like you can from Gouldings.

I haven't spent much time in Durango, but they do have a lot on trains. The drive up the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton & Ouray is awesome!

It's about an hours drive from Durango to the entrance of Mesa Verde. If you want to spend time in Durango, that's one thing, but I don't think I would make it my base just for Mesa Verde. Have parked near the Far View Lodge in Mesa Verde and watched a thunderstorm roll across the horizan. You do have some far off views from this area.

Another option would be to spend the two nights in Durango with a day in Mesa Verde and then travel to Moab via the Million Dollar Highway (Hwy 550) up to Montrose. Maybe squeeze in a quick stop at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Then take Hwy 50 into Grand Junction, CO and maybe squeeze in drive thought Colorado National Monument, then take I-70 to Cisco, Utah and drive in to Moab on SCENIC Hwy 128. This will be an ALL day driving kind of trip.

Canyon de Chelly has the Thunderbird Lodge and just outside the park in Chinle there are a couple name brand motels. No real scenic advantage for staying in or out of the park.

Utahtea

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sooooo much Utahtea, that is just the type itinerary I needed. I will print it out! Tahnks again, Judy
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 11:25 AM

My pleasure. You are going to have a trip that will knock your socks off.

Next year you could do Colorado, including Million $ Highway and all of western and central Colorado, ending with the beautiful San Luis Valley and the Collegiate Peaks, all over 14,000 ft. (Mt. Princeton, Mt. Harvard, etc.)

It's an easy drive from there to Santa Fe, where my car takes me every year.

Regards, Judymichigan
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

I have finally figured this out today! 3 days Santa Fe, 3 days Cortez(no Durango this time), 5 days Moab, dive through MV(stop to see) to Canyon de Chelly and stay in the Thinderbird Lodge or the Holiday INN in Chenly for 2 nights? Which would be better? Thunderbird Lodge is 102$ a night. Then to Albuquerque for 1 night before we leave! Whew, wahy hard work!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Sounds like a very good plan to me!

Can't help with the lodging. We stay at the Canyon de Chelly campground in the park that is <evil grin> FREE!

Utahtea
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Free is "good". And I think the T-bird Lodge is the place to be. I want to experience the whole thing! This looks so great...very differant than South Fla. MY DH really wants to go(me too)! I can not wait!