Search

Southwest Trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southwest Trip

We have just about finalized our first trip out west. We have basically settled on the following:

- Fly into Las Vegas. Drive to Dessert Pearl, 1 night Dessert Pearl (just a stopping point between Vegas and Bryce and based on the recommendations here sounded like a great place to stay)

- Drive/tour to Bryce Canyon NP: 3 Nights at Bryce NP Lodge - Motel Room, tour Bryce and area.

- Drive/tour to Zion NP: 3 Nights at Zion Lodge - Western Cabin, tour Zion and area.

- Drive/tour to Grand Canyon, North Rim - 2 nights at GC Lodge - Western Cabin - Tour area.

- Drive/tour to South Rim - 3 nights in Kachina Lodge, Tour area

- Drive/tour to Vegas, stopping at Hoover Dam on the way, 2 nights in Venetian.

- Fly Home

We're mainly interested in light hiking, seeing the natural features, wildlife, etc, GREAT photography, seeing the Lodges and also getting some R&R in between.

I believe the itinerary allows us enough time in each area to see most of the major sights and the driving won't be too bad.

Please let me know if this sounds like a good plan, if there are any "Must Do's" and any other tips.

We are travelling during early June. We're kind of curious about how to pack.. We know it will be hot in the lower areas, but understand it may be colder in the higher elevations.

PS: Does anyone have any pictures of the Western Cabins in any of the parks? I've seen the pics on the park website, but would like to see more if they are available.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:35 PM

topping
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful trip.

About clothing, I think if you just think about layering your clothes that would work the best.

That way you won't be too cold and can remove layers or not put them on if it is too warm. An good hiking or walking boots? All casual.

Have fun!

Regarding LasVegas and the Venetian, if you want less casual maybe just pack one small bag with your LV clothes and leave them in the trunk of the car until you get to LV.

That always worked for us when it was basically casual with a night or two of dressier spots. No need to drag the bag into the lodges and cabins. Or put the LV clothes in a garmet bag, and again just leave it in the trunk.

Have a safe and fun vacation!

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Hi again, I almost forgot.

High on my "must do list" is to put some bottle water, some snack food and a blanket in the car. Maybe put together a small first aid kit. A flashlight etc. Just in case there is some emergency although there probably won't be. But it is good to be prepared for a nice trip like this.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:12 PM

ttt
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Looks like a good plan to me.

Utahtea
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:55 PM

ttt
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Sounds like an interesting trip. I did a similar one last year. If you have some time left when you visit the Grannd Canyon I recommend a trip to Page ( about 4 hours to drive) to visit the Antelope Canyon. It`s on the Navajo land and spectacular. It started with a crack in the sandstone and turned into a cavern caused by floods. The shapes and the colors are amazing. I have never seen anything like that.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I second the suggestion for Antelope Canyon. We went last June, and it was awesome!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:05 AM

hopefully this doesn't show up twice, i responded but it didn't seem to "take" I am still a big fan of the horseback ride into bryce canyon. (morning 1/2 day) it gives you more of the canyon and less of the work involved in seeing it! I am also a big fan of the narrows hike at zion, but june may have the water too cold and high to hike it, the unique nature of the hike is what is so neat. Also at Zion if you should hike Angel's Landing. it is worth every step even the more precarious ones at the top. the view is a hugh payoff there. enjoy!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:56 PM

I agree that the Upper Antelope Slots Canyon tour is worth it. The closest you get to Page, AZ is on the day you leave the N. Rim and are driving to the S. Rim. It would add about 50 miles and an hours driving time. The tour takes about 1 1/2 hours.

Utahtea
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:59 PM

I hate to put a wrench in your plans, but if it were my vacation, I think I would skip the N. Rim and instead spend the two nights in Page, AZ. Yes, Lake Powell is very low, but it's still a beautiful area. The float trip on the Colorado River outside of Page is excellent! Then you also have the Upper Antelope Slots Canyon tour and the short 3/4 mile hike to Horseshoe Bend.

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pages...2003/float.htm

Utahtea
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 02:49 AM

You're lucky to have so much time in all of those places. We did a similar trip (without the North Rim) last August and LOVED it.

Must dos:
Antelope Canyon
Hike at least part way into the Grand Canyon (Bright Angel trail is the most convenient)
Virgin Narrows hike - be sure to get sticks and shoes from Zion Adventure Company
Dinner at El Tovar at Grand Canyon - great 'experience'
Night Sky talk at Bryce (if offered)

We stayed in a Western cabin at Bryce. Pretty 'tired' but clean and I wouldn't stay anywhere else since the location is so good. We spent so little time in the room that it didn't matter.

Hope that's helpful.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:05 PM

We always like to stop in Cameron on the way between the North and South Rim to get lunch and look around the trading post. We have even spent the night one time.

Be sure to do the Navajo Loop trail at Bryce, starting going down the Wall Street section rather than trying to come up that way. It is much easier and more dramatic.

I agree with the Angels Landing hike even if you just go to Scout overlook like I do instead of all the way up to the top using the chains like my wife does.

It sounds like a great trip to me.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:49 PM

We did a similar trip last year also. My biggest regret is not hiking the Narrows in Zion - didn't ck weather report w/ rangers 1st day when flash flood chance was "low" and didn't feel comfortable taking children on subsequent days when "moderate" - although would have been fine in hindsight. So, ck those warnings and plan according. We did tube Virgin River which was fun - if water is low use sticks to help maneuver. Highly recommend horseback riding IN Bryce NP - book at lodge - and also ATV's outside Bryce which my boys loved but most risky thing we did on trip! We didn't go to the North Rim, but we spent 2 nights at Lake Powell - float trip 1 day, dinner cruise on paddlewheel on lake, and tour of Antelope Slot Canyons in Page - all great. Don't recommend boat trip of slot canyons on Lake Powell - disappointing. Enjoy and have a great time!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Sounds great DVCChris, We are also wanting to do a similiar trip but how hot does it get in this area in June or July? This is the only reason my husband is not excited about such a trip in the summer.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 04:56 AM

We are planning a similar trip for July/August. I expect it to be plenty hot, but it's the only time we can go with kids' vacations. Because of the heat, hiking the Narrows and tubing sound perfect. Getting shoes and sticks was mentioned for the Narrows. Are hiking shoes necessary or will sneakers do?
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:53 AM

We're planning a similar trip in late June and have been told to buy water socks/shoes for the Narrows hike.

To momof3boys and anyone else who knows!

I'd like to try the horse riding tour in Bryce.
Do we need to book this in advance? (I have already booked a room at the lodge) and is it suitable for an 8yr old complete novice? (She's keen and unlikely to be fearful)

Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Summer weather will be between 80 & 100+ in Zion, and probably 10 to 20 degrees cooler in Bryce and Grand Canyon at the rims because the elevations is higher. As you hike down into those canyons, the temps will get higher.

We always just wear an old pair of tennis shoes in the Virgin River. Just make sure any shoes you wear tie on and won't slip off in a water current or when stuck in mud. The rocks in the river are to hard to walk on without shoes. I don't recommend sandels because little rocks get caught and make it hard to walk. Flip flops won't work, especially when tubing!

There are usually plenty of wooden sticks at the end of the Riverside Walk/beginning of the Narrows hike if you don't want to have to rent one. The park build a little stone storage bind for them...you might not notice it, so when you go down the stairs and walk to the river, look to the left where the path ended.

I've never done the horseback ride in Bryce, BUT I do now that if you want to ride IN the park, then you have to book thought the PARK! There is also a 250 pound weight limit and they have a scale and they do inforce that rule. We arrived in early August and my SIL called to ride the next day and there were spots available, but my BIL was to heavy.

Utahtea

Utahtea
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:09 AM

To highflyer--
My daughter was just shy of her 8th birthday when we did the Bryce Canyon horseback ride and had never ridden before. She did just fine. The cowboys who lead the trips have plenty of experience with kids. My more timid 10 yo boy LOVED the horseback riding--the trip highlight for him. I was glad that we rode in the morning after we had hiked in the previous day. That way we got to truly enjoy the majesty of the place before being a bit distracted (early on) by riding fears

We didn't rent the canyoneering shoes when we did the Narrows hike. Wish we had. I found that a lot of sand got into my sneakers and piled up under my toes making it a bit uncomfortable for 24 hours. Not that bad. Just my thoughts. Also, don't forget that this hike is very strenuous for younger kids (like our 8 y.o.) She managed great and loved it; however, we found that she was quite tuckered out the next day.

One other thought--we brought lunch in our backpacks and enjoyed eating on a large rock for a break before hiking out. Bring baggies too as you need to carry out any 'packages' you might leave behind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -