Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines- Lines, lines, everywhere a line!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Still waiting

As a regular traveler, everyone was wondering why I had not flew yet on everyones favorite airline- Southwest. I was told all their flights were on time and the crew were so friendly and nice. I was told you just have to fly Southwest Airlines! Well I have and here is my report.

Yes, the flights left on time and the flight attendents were nice but that is about all the good I can report about my experience with Southwest Airlines.

I flew from BWI airport (between Baltimore and Washington) to Phoenix. The first thing that hits you about flying on Southwest is there is no curb side baggage checks. Everyone who has bags to check must wait in an incredibly long inefficent line to check in for your flight. After waiting in line for about an hour I was finally checked in- Well I thought I was.

The next step in the process was the longest security line at BWI airport I had ever seen! It took about an hour. I noticed the security wait for the other terminals for the other airlines was maybe 10 minutes max.

After making it through security I noticed that every gate connected with Southwest Airlines had huge lines. I found out that because there is no assigned seating with Southwest I would be forced to wait in ANOTHER long line to get a boarding pass with a number on it. I waited in that line for about an hour and was given the number 89, which meant I could not get on the plane until about the entire set of passengers were already boarded and safely in their window seats. As I suspected, by the time I finally got on the plane only middle seats next to the toliet in the back were available. I was forced to squeeze in between two very overweight women for the five hour flight to Phoenix. I thought I was going to die! I was told all SW Airline flights were full to the sun places in the winter.

Around lunch time I was ready to eat. Would it be chicken or beef? No, it would be peanuts, boy was I hungry when we arrived in Phoenix.

Southwest Airlines flys only 737's known for only having two bathrooms, tight uncomfortable seats and no perks like TV's in the seatbacks like Jet Blue Airlines.

After the flight finally arrived in Phoenix I was asking what is the deal with everyone liking Southwest Airlines? Are they mad? I did not like flying Southwest Airlines!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:19 PM
xx

The only reason people like Southwest Airlines is because they are CHEAP!!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:31 PM
kam

Well, now that you know how to fly SWA you'll do it better the next time you want to save some money and earn free flights easily. I think though that much of your disappointment comes from flying out of BWI on SWA. Here in California where SWA is a major player, things run much more smoothly and we do have curbside check in. Looks like BWI just doesn't bother much with Southwest. It pays to do your homework before you try something new. I still love SWA and will fly them again next week for the umpteen thousand time this year.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Suzie

The reasons I use Southwest:

Inexpensive
Goes to the cities and places I want/need to visit
On time
I wouldn't eat airline food anyway and I appreciate that they do not stink up the cabin with that slop.
Their crew has a sense of humor.
I've had curb service at most of my stops.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:43 PM
xx

Southwest is the only airline that made a profit. Besides, the obvious they are a stable company....

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Mike

I refuse to fly Southwest for one reason: my time is too valuable to waste it standing in lines or crowded like cattle into those old, tired planes.

I'll gladly pay a bit extra to be flown efficiently and comfortably.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:13 PM
xx

Um, if you don't like Southwest then get out of the way. There are others who can't wait to board another Southwest flight.

Like 'em or not, Southwest is the best airline business model out there. I can afford to fly any carrier and I'll always take SW. Except when JetBlue (a SW clone) is an option, perhaps!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:15 PM
LikeSouthwest

Southwest has one of the younger fleets in the U.S. industry, Mike. FYI.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Sam

I suspect this another troll post from Vance. Since SW didn't go under as he so fearlessly predicted, he'll bash them another way.

They don't fly to my city (Milwaukee) so I have no first hand experiences.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Frank

Oh gee, Sam, and I'd sure be crying in my cereal living in Milwaukee where you have no cattle car Southwest, but you America's top airline Midwest Express at your disposal. Routes are limited, but THAT is the model all other airlines should be studying IMO!!!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Herb

All of you whining and crying about SW should take your head outta the sand!!! The reasonable and affordable flights you have on Delta, Continental, Northwest, etc. are ALL COURTESY of SWA!!! Thank SOUTHWEST for that $99 coast to coast fare you bought on Delta from Seattle to Miami!!!!
From Tampa I can fly into Seattle any time of the year for $200 RT thanks to SW, I have a hard time finding those flights into Spokane however - GUESS WHY!?! SWA doesn't service TPA TO GEG. I can fly Orlando to Spokane for $200 no problem, GUESS WHY!?! SWA services MCO to GEG!!!
I fly Continental, SW, NW, and Delta but I'll tell you that the reasonable fares I get on the others are courtesy of SW!
Whatever your gripe is - BE THANKFUL WE HAVE ONE AIRLINE DEVOTED TO KEEPING THE PRICES DOWN!! EVEN BUSINESS TRAVELERS SEE THE BENEFITS!!!!!!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Barry

I agree Southwest Airlines has low fares. The people on the flights are basically low class. You know the type lots of overweight people, tattos, and blue collar clothes.

It is like flying into a bus station.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Eric

Why cant they get rid of those seats that face each other. It is difficult looking accross at people I do not know all the time!

Also I wish Southwest would have assigned seats. The idea that you have to show up 3 hours before the flight to get a high number, is crazy!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 02:37 PM
seamus

Barry, it must be your city of origin that produces the blue collar, tattoed folks. The folks on our last SWA flight were way cool, myself included. And I've been told they are phasing out the seating that faces each other.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Barry's Mom

Blue Collar Barry,

This is your overweight mom (no, not that one...the one w/ the tattoo of your dirty face on her left arm). You know your dad and i picked up a lot of aluminum cans on the street for years and years just to afford a SWA ticket to come visit you in prison. You shouldn't talk that way about our kin folk who fly on Southwest. Shame on you. Although we're so poor, we can't even pay attention, we didn't raise you to talk like that... Grow up, boy - or they'll never let you out on parole.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:15 PM
xxx

Barry - I'm not talking about whether or not you like the people who fly SW I'm talking about what the airline has done for PRICES ON ALL AIRLINES! The "big" lines could care less about affordable flights - they have only dropped prices because they MUST to compete with SW!
If you truly want to research this fact take a look at AVG. fares for a city before SW flew into that city and after - ENOUGH SAID!!!!!
Forget about your hangups and distaste for human beings - Somebody as pompous and arrogant as you are should appreciate what SW has done for your pocket book (even if you fly other airlines!)!!!! Somebody as selfish and pious as you who focuses on nothing but your own selfish interests should be able to appreciate this fact!
Oh and by the way Barry - I'm sure you are a wildly popular guy with your pompous arrogant attitude toward the human race that doesn't fit into your little proper box. I bet you are the kinda guy who people see coming from a mile away and say to themselves "Oh sh-- here comes BARRY - now we're gonna get sucked into his 45 lb fish stories".
Yeah you rip others but you yourself surely have a huge fan club I bet!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:20 PM
xxx

Hey its Barry - THE LIFE OF THE PARTY!
EVERYBODY LOVES BARRY!

by the way - I would not like to sit in seats facing other either unless you are with a big group! SW tries to make flying fun and we have had a blast going on group trips playing cards as we were able to sit and face each other.
The seats facing each other can be the best thing in the world or something uncomfortable.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:39 PM
kikj

Dear Still Waiting.
I can't even begin to feel sorry for you. You are a perfect example of who should use a good travel agent. They could have told you what to expect.

Southwest is an inexpensive well-run airline that simply gets people from point A to point B. It is NO FRILLS. There is NEVER meal service. This isn't hidden. This is a well known fact. All you had to do is check.

The lines at the airport attest to the popularity of these airlines. They are not the fault of the airlines.

Having bording number 89 does not require you to be the 89th person to board. You board in groups of 30. Yes, I realize that perhaps only middle seats were left, but you must admit it is a way to get people to the airport early.

For your information, I too, do not fly Southwest. I am aware of what it is like. I would never take them from the east coast to Phoenix, because I don't like making so many stops along the way.

Next time, just do some basic homework to determine if you will like the product. Just because others like Southwest doesn't mean everyone does. We all have to make our own decisions.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:40 PM
OliveOyl

I agree with SamIam, the original poster sounds exactly like the person who has been after SWA, for whatever reason, for months now.

We flew Southwest TPA to Las Vegas, in comfortable seating compared to any of my recent flights (usually AA or Delta). I was stuck in the middle on the way home, but there was enough room that it wasn't the typical terrible experience. We weren't served peanuts and it wasn't much worse than those lunch sacks AA hands out as you board. Cross country flights DO get food. Hmmm StillWaiting?

SWA has curbside check-in in Tampa, and that line was long, but it was the only line that was. They also had curbside check-in (post 9-11) in Vegas which was as speedy as any I've experienced.

Agreed, too, it's airlines like SW that keep other fares from becoming exorbitant. All this with a friendly smile, and gasp, maybe even a joke to boot.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Susan

I just flew on SWA from Oakland to New Orleans and it was great. Yes, we waited in line to check our bags but that line moved so quickly we hardly stood still. Same deal with getting our boarding pass. Their employees work hard and make sure you get on your plane on time, take off on time and do it cheaper than anyone else. Plus, they even have cheap tickets less than 21 days or 7 days in advance if you are lucky enough to get them. I don't need to be served another plate of salisbury steak as long as live, especially when that privilege will cost me twice as much. I love SWA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -