Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Southgate Tower Hotel or Thirty-Thirty Hotel opinions of either?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Katy

My daughter, sister and I will be making our first trip to NYC the 1st weekend in Dec to do Xmas shopping and take in the sights. We were considering the Southgate Tower or the Thirty-Thirty hotel - has anyone stayed at either of these? Also where are the best discount stores for us to shop? Thanks we can't wait to get there.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Ex Broker

I can't tell you about discount shopping but I can tell you about the South Gate. As an ex-Morgan Stanely broker this is the hotel that they put all of us up at when we were in New York for almost a month doing our training. For the area you are staying at the Southgate is nicely located. You are kitty corned to Penn Station so catching a subway or even a cab anywhere in New York is not a problem. Most of the rooms are pretty large with double beds, and a nice "living area" which gives you some room to at least stretch your legs out at. If you can get the room for under $200 a night I would say it is worth it. Higher than that you can probably find a better deal somewhere else in the city.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 04:44 AM
erin

stay at the southgate - big rooms at low prices. you shouldn't have to pay more than $200 for a one bedroom apt. - location is good b/c close to macy's and penn station but you will have to walk a little bit to get to better nightlife.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:22 AM
-x

Another vote for Southgate - it is a bit more conveniently located than 30 - 30. THe hotel is at the south end of the garment district. Exit hotel and walk to the right and Macy's is a couple of blocks north. Continue on 7th Ave. past Macy's and you are bound to come across people handing out circulars inviting you to visit showrooms for clothes being sold at bargain prices. If interested in furs go left once out of the hotel and you are in the fur district.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Sarah

Shop at Century 21, H&M, Syms, and Strawberry for the best prices.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Sarah

Forgot to reply that the 30/30 has shared bathrooms.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Katy

Thanks for the great info. We definitely do not want a shared bath. Any good restaurants around Southgate Tower?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Ex Broker

You are really close to Times Square and the Theater district so have your pick of resturant there. Niall's, the resturant inside the Southgate, isn't half bad. There is a great little pizza place one block down and across the street and just across the street from the hotel there is a wonderful bagel shop.

Whatever you do, don't walk, but RUN away from Lindy's in the lobby of the Pennsylvannia hotel. You may be tempted to wander in thinking that it is something you want to try but DON'T. The food is horribly overpriced and really pretty awful.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Edye

My husband also stayed at the Southgate during his training at Morgan Stanley and I have to say that if you are any kind of a hotel snob, and I am not being rude, just factual, this is not a fancy NY hotel. One thing most non-NY'ers are not used to is noise and the rooms at the Southgate had plenty of traffic noise. Just be warned!