Reload this Page >

Southern Utah's best National Parks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 10:32 PM
JK

I'm thinking about spending a few days hiking and camping in S. Utah next May and was wondering if anyone had any advice concerning their favorite parks. I've heard good things about Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Zion, etc, but have had a hard time choosing between them. Also, does anyone know how long of a drive it is between Zion and Vegas?
Thanks - JK

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 05:20 AM
Bob Brown

I suggest you throw Capitol Reef into the mix as well. It in many ways is the best of the Utah parks. The drive-in campground is a classic because it is watered, hence grassy.
If you want little canyons to wander through in relative solitude, Capitol Reef is the place! Bryce offers some backpacking opportunities, particular if you take the under the rim trail.
Canyonlands is a huge park and overs a lot of territory. All of them are hot and dry. We were in Bryce in late May and it was already hot. We were in Zion on May 29, and the temperature was already 103. I don't care if it is a "dry heat", it is HOT. And I live in Georgia where we know a little about hot weather. I have never driven from Vegas to Zion, but you have Interstate most of the way, so I think you could make it in 4 to 5 hours. You do not drive along the floor of the valley any longer; you must park and take a shuttle bus.
But I suggest you consider Capitol Reef.
It is cut from the same rock formations as Zion and offers a huge variety of little canyons to explore in the 100 miles or so of the Waterpocket fold.
And you can do it in relative solitude.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 05:21 AM
Paul Rabe

Zion and Bryce are usually counted together, as they are so close; as are Arches and Canyonlands. If you one in this group, you should probably see the other. The Arches/CL pair are NOT, however, what I would call southern Utah. So I would suggest you go to the other pair. Zion, being larger and with more wilderness, has MUCH better hiking opportunities. But I wouldn't skip Bryce or even Cedar Breaks Nat Mon.

According to Mapquest.Com, it's three hours and fifteen minutes from Las Vegas to Springdale, just outside Zion.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 06:45 AM
J T Kirk

I assume you're starting your trip in Las Vegas. If that is indded the case, you probably need to stick with South Western Utah - Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef. Everywhere here has given you some good tips. Personally, though, I prefer Arches, Canyonlands and Valley of the Gods which are on the eastern side of Utah. With the exception of Arches, they generally don't have as many tourists pouring through them. But anyway -- Bryce is breathtaking. The brillantly colored hoo-doos are a sight to see. And make sure you do the wet hike through the Narrows in Zion. May's a good time to go. Yeah, it can get hot then, but May sure beats July. And there are usually fewer people (relatively speaking.)

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 09:08 AM
Steve Mueller

Any national park in Utah is worth visiting. In my opinion, the best hiking parks are Zion and Arches. Assuming that you're not afraid of heights, the best trail in Zion is Angels Landing. The best trail in Arches is the Delicate Arch trail.

My wife and I have flown into Las Vegas, rented a car, and driven to Zion several times. The above post is correct, it is just over three hours driving time. Arches would take the better part of a day to drive to from Las Vegas, Grand Junction would be a better base to explore Arches and Canyonlands.

Keep in mind that Arches, Bryce Canyon and Zion are overrun with visitors in the spring and summer. Plan accordingly and try to get a campsite as early in the day as possible.