Reload this Page >

October at the Contemporary Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 07:42 PM
cneeley

My husband and i will be going to WDW without children due to the fact that we will be attending a convention during the last week of October. I would any suggestions as to what to do other than the standard Disney, Epcot, Universal,....has anyone ever taken any courses from the Disney Institute? I am a Montessori teacher and would really prefer some adult interaction rather than Disneyworld etc...any ideas as to what to do will be most appreciated...Thank you.. Chris

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 03:31 AM
Lori

Epcot offers a behind the scenes tour of their hydroponic greenhouses at The Land Pavilion. I took this tour a couple of years ago; I believe we purchased tickets for the tour early on the day we toured Epcot.

Epcot also gives tours of their International Pavilions. Check out Deb's Walt Disney World Information Guide for a complete list of tours, along with reports from tours. The URL is http://wdwig.com/

I haven't taken any of the courses from the Disney Institute, so I can't comment on those.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:37 AM
ilisa

Be advised that the Disney Institute is no longer offering its courses to individuals. It is now only open to groups. A big mistake, I believe. Universal is not part of Disney; MGM is. The parks have several behind the scenes walking tours. Magic Kingdom has one that lasts several hours that takes you underground through its vast maze. Deb Wills' site, www.wdwig.com, can tell you all the details. I think that particular tour is fairly pricey, however. One piece of advice - since you are in Disney, go for it. Be a child. It is not just for children to enjoy. Trust me on that one.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:19 AM
CMcDaniel

Not sure how much free time you'll have to spend off property, or if you'll have a car, but there are other attractions within an easy drive.

Don't miss Cirque de Soleil in Downtown Disney.

Winter Park tour including the Morse Museum (with its Tiffany glass collection) and barge trip through the canal/lake system there. The downtown area has some interesting shopping.

Leu Gardens--beautiful formal gardens and Victorian era home.

Kennedy Space Center an hour away--easy to spend a long day there.

We haven't done this in a couple of years, but enjoyed our one trip to Celebration, the Disneyesque planned community. The concept is interesting, but home prices at the time we were there anyway, ...extreme. Free to look though. gt; We almost wondered if some of the people we saw (the little boy riding his bike down Main St, fishing pole across the handlebars) were paid to play a role! Have forgotten now the story behind their education system...just recall it was >very< controversial.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 09:40 AM
Anon

A lot of times when you go to WDW for a convention, they will offer behind the scenes tours to spouses of those attending the convention. It's kind of interesting.