Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Southern Montana in September. Help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2023, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 adults - 10 days - Sept 4-14, 2023
1.) 3 nights at Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone
2.) 3 nights in Jackson (Tetons, ride horses somewhere, float the Snake River.....)
3.) Here's where we need help. Want to go into Montana 2 nights before flying out of Bozeman. - Ennis? Big Sky? Would love to go to GNP but not enough time. Don't want tp spend too much time in the car. Montana is so big and I don't want to choose the wrong place!

TIA!

Old Mar 27th, 2023, 09:02 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US Forum and tagged for Montana
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 06:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are you coming from and where do you intend to rent a car? You don't want a one way car rental IMO. By the second week of September there COULD be some snow in western Montana including Glacier NP. I've been to Yellowstone and I've been to Glacier but never on the same trip. There are float trips on the Yellowstone River out of Gardiner MT but I don't know if they run that late in the season.
One way that I like to get to the Glacier NP region is to take the Amtrak Empire Builder overnight from Spokane to Whitefish MT and renting a car from there. The best lodging I found near Glacier is the Meadow Lake Resort in Columbia Falls MT. Good luck on your trip!
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by tomfuller
One way that I like to get to the Glacier NP region is to take the Amtrak Empire Builder overnight from Spokane to Whitefish MT and renting a car from there. The best lodging I found near Glacier is the Meadow Lake Resort in Columbia Falls MT. Good luck on your trip!
Not sure how this is relevant for two days coming from Yellowstone to Bozeman with a car.

I think it depends on what you want to do. I like Big Sky and you could do some hiking, but a lot of the restaurants and stores could be closed as it’s shoulder season. Big Sky has grown some but it’s still primarily ski based.

You could stay in Bozeman and visit the Museum of the Rockies and explore the town. Lots of great restaurants. I would look at staying downtown. Hotels are expensive, especially if there is a home football game while you are there.

Ennis would be good if you want to fish. It’s a small town. You could also explore Virginia City from Ennis.

I would probably just stay in Bozeman and maybe stop at Big Sky on your way to Bozeman.

Another option is Livingston and staying at Chico Hot Springs.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kureiff
Not sure how this is relevant for two days coming from Yellowstone to Bozeman with a car.

I think it depends on what you want to do. I like Big Sky and you could do some hiking, but a lot of the restaurants and stores could be closed as it’s shoulder season. Big Sky has grown some but it’s still primarily ski based.

You could stay in Bozeman and visit the Museum of the Rockies and explore the town. Lots of great restaurants. I would look at staying downtown. Hotels are expensive, especially if there is a home football game while you are there.

Ennis would be good if you want to fish. It’s a small town. You could also explore Virginia City from Ennis.

I would probably just stay in Bozeman and maybe stop at Big Sky on your way to Bozeman.

Another option is Livingston and staying at Chico Hot Springs.
Thank you so much!
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomfuller
Where are you coming from and where do you intend to rent a car? You don't want a one way car rental IMO. By the second week of September there COULD be some snow in western Montana including Glacier NP. I've been to Yellowstone and I've been to Glacier but never on the same trip. There are float trips on the Yellowstone River out of Gardiner MT but I don't know if they run that late in the season.
Thank you. Glacier is too far for our time window, which is why we are trying to determine where to get most bang for our buck (horseback riding maybe) within a 2 or so hour drive to bozeman airport for flight out at 2 pm. We already have car rental.