Montana in September

Search

Montana in September

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montana in September

We're planning a trip, with our campervan, to Montana this coming September with a main destination of Glacier National Park but we'll be out there for a at least a month so advice needed for other places too.

1) I don't think I'll be able to get a res in the GNP itself. Where is a strategic location outside the park to be camping from which to get to tour the park?
(I'm asking this because when we went to CO in early June we first found ourselves on the west side of RMNP which was the wrong side to be on and had to relocate to the east side for the main attractions. )

2) Where else should I go in Montana or other nearby states (other than Yellowstone.)
3) What kind of weather should I expect in Sept-Oct.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's way to close to South Dakota for me. SD is having another "Sturgis Rally" in August. It caused a surge in surrounding states, including Montana, last fall.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 08:02 AM

I would check the Glaicer website for closing dates for roads. We sometimes go in late September and a lot of things are already shut down. Weather could be warm or it could be snowing. As for where to stay, I'd try to find something near Many Glacier for part of the time and then you could find something on the west side for a couple of days.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 10:01 AM

What are your dates? Reservations are required to drive the Going to the Sun Road through Labor Day and your campervan needs to be 21 ft or less. The road to Many Glacier will close for the season on September 17th this year due to a construction project. Be prepared for possibility of snow and temporary closures of the Going to the Sun Road.
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 11:24 AM

Great campgrounds up the west side of the park off Camas Rd. It is a trip to get up to some of them, but the lakes are spectacular.
If you are going through Montana you have to stop at the Little Bighorn Battlefield NM.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Patty
What are your dates? Reservations are required to drive the Going to the Sun Road through Labor Day and your campervan needs to be 21 ft or less. The road to Many Glacier will close for the season on September 17th this year due to a construction project. Be prepared for possibility of snow and temporary closures of the Going to the Sun Road.
Wow good to know those dates. Thanks. I’ll definitely plan around that. My van is 19 feet. The bike rack adds another couple of feet. I’ll have to measure. If need be I’ll pull off the rack and lock it up somewhere.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold
That's way to close to South Dakota for me. SD is having another "Sturgis Rally" in August. It caused a surge in surrounding states, including Montana, last fall.
We’re both vaccinated so not worried.