Southern Maine

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:10 AM
Tim

Southern Maine

I did a search on Maine and turned up lots of useful information. I have a few specific questions I hope to get some help with.

Looks like we're going to Ogunquit. Does anyone have opinions on Colonial Village Resort, Anchorage by the Sea or Dunes-Waterfront motel?

I can't remember where I read this, but someone said because of the traffic, to drive to the exit past Ogunquit then double back. Make sense?

Thinking about lobstering/whale watching trip with my 7 yr old. How far out do they go and from where?

Thanks a lot!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:32 AM
mare

Anchorage is a BIT nicer and overlooks the ocean, while Colonial is on the river. Both might have weekly rates.

The 7 yr old, however, is sure to love the pool at
www.ogunquitmotel.com

Eat at Pizza by Paras in Wells, and the Maine Diner. Traffic? Depends on the time of day/week. Even doubling-back won't help on Fri and Sun.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:18 PM
Tim

Mare,
What's the difference between staying on the ocean or the river? What do people prefer? I understand it's possible to wade across the river to the beach.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Deb

I live in Maine and have been going to Ogunquit all my life for summer vacations so I hope I can answer your questions. First of all, other than the Norseman Motel, there are no accomodations where you stay directly on the beach. The Anchorage overlooks the ocean, as many hotels do, but you still need to walk (ten minutes?) or drive to the beach. Same with the Colonial Village, where oddly enough, our family is staying for a week in August. It's a very nice homey place. Lots on conveniences, a great pool, and quiet.The Anchorage is definately more upscale. Frankly, we don't think it's such a big deal to drive to the beach. Walking is fine when you're empty handed, but when you're lugging chairs, cooler, etc. it's nice to have the car.

As for which exit to get off: You're right, if you get off the Ogunquit/York exit (assuming you're coming north) you may run into traffic as you approach Ogunquit.It really depends on when you come. Saturdays are the worse. Ogunquit doesn't have a traffic light, so traffic backs up a couple of miles as everyone waits their turn in the center of town. But to go up to the next exit as an alternative? Nah. Unless you're the real impatient type that needs to be moving, even though going out of your way will result in still getting there at the same time as you would have if you just got off the first exit! Also, it's ten miles (I think) to the next exit (Wells) and you will undoubtedly wind up in the southbound traffic for the next few miles, which is also congested at times. My advice would be to get off the first exit. Relax. You're in Maine. If you need any further suggestions for where to eat, what to do, etc. you can email me at [email protected].

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Tim

Deb,
Thanks for answering those questions. If you have any dining suggestions that would be great. We like casual places that are okay with kids and good seafood, especially want to eat lots of lobster rolls every day! Also thinking about going out "lobstering" and open to other ideas for kid activities/sightseeing.