Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lodging in Oqunquit, Maine. Need Suggestions please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Tony

I plan on spending a week in Ogunquit mid July. I am really looking at this vacation as a getaway. No phones, no pagers, etc. I think I would prefer to stay in lodging more like a cabin/townhouse and less like a hotel. In other words, I would like to feel more like I was in a home than a hotel room. However, I am not opposed to a nice hotel.

Since I don't know the lay of the land, I would like to know if I stayed at a place that was not on the ocean, how much effort is involved in getting to the ocean? Or, would I definitely prefer to stay close to or on the water to get that "seaside village" feeling?

I will have a car and would enjoy suggestions on day trips from Ogunquit. Where and what to do.

Also, what is a lobster pound? Lobster lover here and plan on induldging plenty.

Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:45 PM
tony

Bumping....

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Brenda

Ogunquit has many lodging choices from motels, cabins, inns, etc... I have gone there many times and suggest you log onto the Maine Innkeepers Association website, I believe maineinnkeepers.com, or something similar, as they have an extensive listing of lodging in the area with links to the websites of most places. You will be able to see the lodging and view rooms etc..
As to where to drive, here are a few of my favorite areas. Kennebunkport is well worth the trip, lots of fine restaurants and shopping. About 40 minutes drive from Ogunquit. See the Bush estate at Walkers Point, everyone does. The road to it is nice and has some gorgeous homes on the water that you can drool over.
York Maine is also nice and only about 10-15 minutes from Ogunquit. Go to Long Beach ( I think that is its name)for a day in the sun. Long lovely beach.
Finally, if you are into antiquing, Route 1 in southern Maine has tons of small antique barns and stores that are oh so much fun to explore. You may find a treasure or two.
In any event, any place you stay in Ogunquit is only minutes from the water. Ogunquit has a great beach, and there is a wonderful walking path along the shore called Marginal Way. You MUST take a stroll along it. Also go to Perkins Cove in Ogunquit, lots of shops and some good seafood restaurants. A "lobster pound" is just a restaurant as far as I know. Someone may have the info as to how the word pound comes about but I don't really know. It may have something to do with the lobsters being kept alive in a tank. Anyway, Ogunquit has a good restaurant called the Lobster Pound that is right on Route 1, as are alot of the hotels, motels, restaurants etc.. Not all are on route 1, but many are.
Have a great time, you will love southern Maine, it is one of my favorite places. Actually, I am headed that way June 3rd-19th. Can't wait.

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Tony

Thanks Brenda!

Any others out there with suggestions?

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:50 AM
kerry

I have stayed many times in Ogunquit. I have to say, that I am not a big lobster lover so am no help in this area, but one of the very best local restaraunts is Hurricanes in Perkins cove. It is pricey but definetely worth the money. Make reservations though. There are Trolleys that run through town frequently for ,I think, $0.50. I have stayed at the Anchorage by the sea which is nice but like a hotel. There are many Bed and breakfasts in the area that are all nice. If you are really looking to splurge the Cliffhouse is a beautiful place to stay and has a trolley that takes its patrons into town. I agree with all of the previously suggested day trip. Also Freeport is about an 45min to hour drive, there are outlets and the LLBean store. Also portland is a very nice city. Hope this helps-Kerry

Old May 14th, 2002, 08:09 AM
me

We stayed at a placed called the Yellow Monkey, it met our expectations.

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Local

Great advice from Brenda!
When you walk from town to Perkins Cove on the Marginal Way you'll end up walking by the Oarweed - a great lobster restaurant. A lobster pound is usually just a more casual joint, that pretty much sells only cooked lobster fresh out of the tank, clambake side-dishes, and maybe hot dogs! The Ogunquit Pound is good, but you can have a good meal and some good fun at Fosters Downeast Clambake in York.
For fine dining, I'd recommend Provence ($$$) or Arrows ($$$$). Hurricane has a great view, but so does the sandwich shop in the gift shop next door!
Another place to visit with your car is Portsmouth, NH. There is a free stage show performed twice a week, many shops, restaurants, boast cruises and Strawberry Banke. If you decide to head further south along RT.1A, you'll find the Seacoast Science Center and Fuller Gardens in Rye, NH. North of Ogunquit, be sure to visit Kennebunkport and Portland.
Being local, I haven't stayed at local lodgings. I do know the Sparhawk is a centrally located lovely family hotel, and some units have kitchenettes. The Hartwell House (inn) has a good reputation, as well.
Hope you have a great visit!

Old May 14th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Tony

Thanks for the replies so far. Very helpful information.

Any other?

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:56 PM
xxx

bump

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Leslie

A lobster pound is more of an outdoors type restaurant on a pier or at least with a waterfront view with picnic tables, versus something with table cloths and waiters. At many you go up to the tank and tell the shopkeeper what size you want. After it is boiled, lots of napkins, you get it with nutcrackers, and melted butter, and frequently on paper plates. Sometimes sides like corn on the cob and potato salad are included, but sometimes you have to pay for them. I don't know of anyone lobster pound that is better than the other. Basically, price rules and the number of cars in the parking lot.

Never eat a lobster that has a straight tail after it is cooked, it means that it was dead before it hit the water, and if you eat, you will become very ill.

I don't know about cabins, but you can find a good selection of decent efficiencies in Wells or York.

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:22 PM
geesh!

WHA?
I have NEVER seen a straight-tailed lobster!

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Brenda

I believe some lobster pounds are more than just picnic tables, but also agree they generally don't have all the frills of higher end restaurants. Don't shy away , however, because they offer some of the best lobster you will ever eat.
Also, most restaurants on coastal Maine offer lobster. It is standard fare in summer months for that tourist season.