southern california 1 week trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 1 week trip to southern california in June. Any suggestions on where to fly in and out of, whether we should rent a car for all or only part of the trip and itinerary ideas? We live in Michigan
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 07:09 AM

I suggest you fly in and out of Los Angeles. There are 4 airports from which to choose, LAX (the big one), Burbank, Long Beach, and John Wayne (Anaheim). Air fare may be the deciding factor.

Yes, rent a car for the entire trip. That's the primary way we Angelenos get around. It's just a fact of life.

Plan on spending most of your time in the LA metropolitan area, but allow a couple of days for San Diego, and a day for a trip up the coast to the Santa Barbara area.

Here's what you can do in LA.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/...city-guide.htm

And here's what you can do in San Diego.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/...city-guide.htm
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Well where are you going in Southern Californina and what are your interests? Is we just yourself and spouse or are kids/grandkids included? Do you like museums, like to hike, like to drive, want to include the ocean, want to include the desert? Southern Californina is pretty broad based term.

The first thing that comes to my head for Southern Californina is San Diego.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 09:08 AM

So Cal is a lot of territory to cover in one week. First, decide what you want to see and do, then come back and ask about how to best get there. You don't want to spend all your time in So Cal traffic.

www.discoverlosangeles.com
www.visitsandiego.com
www.visitlagunabeach.com
www.fodors.com/world/
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcoms to Fodors Diane_Brewster. You really need to give more info before anyone can give useful advice. Like the questions spirolbulldog asks.

Southern CA is a VERY big place - larger than many east coast states. We know nothing about your interests or why you decided to come to California. Give us something to work w/ and we can help.
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 09:38 PM

June Gloom is a real thing along the beaches in So. Cal. This may be more the case the further south? But, be warned... the expected summer sun cannot be an expectation.
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 10:27 PM

Your airport opotions also include Ontario and San diego. Go for the cheapest fare, they are all within two hours driving of each other. You will definitely need to rent a car here. Don't expect nice beach weather, there is a reason it is called June Gloom. But the mountains and deserts will have spectacular weather. Depends on your interests. If the beach is a "must have", then come after the 4th of July.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Diane: I have posted most of the following before to give some idea of things you can do in the LA area. The post is a little old but once you note your interests you should get some updated and more specific info.

A few suggestions for culture:
Spend a day in Pasadena - You can see a performance at the Civic Center or Pasadena Playhouse, visit Norton Simon Museum, Asia Pacific Museum, visit the Huntington Gardens and Library, see a movie at Gold Class Cinemas (leather seats), tour Gamble House (Greene and Greene architecture), shop in Old Town (Distant Travels travel bookstore, Sur la Table cooking supplies, Container Store, Apple store and Pasadena Antique mall at El Paseo are a few favorites), and eat at any number of good restaurants (Akbar - for Indian; Cafe Bizou; Chado - good tea; Johnny Rockets - for burgers). Ok, the last two may not be culture exactly but fun anyway.
Downtown LA can also fill a day - you can visit China Town, Olvera Street, museums, see a concert at Disney Music Hall, go to Union Station and admire its art deco style and grab lunch, take an architectural tour, go to LA Live and the Grammy Museum, take the Angel's Flight funicular (does this still run?). Phillips original french dip, El Cholo, Ciudad, Water Grill, Patina or Pinot Bistro and other terrific or otherwise interesting downtown restaurants can supply the day's meals.
In Hollywood you can see the Chinese Theater, El Capitan theater, Egyptian Theater, Hollywood walk of fame, get a good view of Hollywood Sign from Hollywood & Highland mall, go bowling at Lucky Strike. See a movie. I don't usually eat in Hollywood but there are several good restaurants on or nearby at the Grove/LA Farmer's Market, on or near La Brea, or Melrose. Love Angelini Osteria, AOC, Campanile, Pizzaria Mozza.
Lots more to do and visit on the westside including the Getty and the Getty Villa, Paley Center, Greystone Manor, LACMA and La Brea tar pits, Peterson Automotive Museum, Hammer Museum at UCLA. Also see what is playing at the Hollywood Bowl or the Greek, the Ahmanson theater or any number of smaller playhouses, clubs etc.

If you are a foodie, or want to explore ethnic restaurants (Ethiopian, Chinese, Mexican etc) or you want vegetarian, ask for suggestions. Lots going on in the LA food scenes with several exciting new arrivals.

If you are interested in wine tasting, the Santa Barbara, Santa Ynez, Paso Robles areas are generally where we go when we want to go wine tasting but it is not exactly LA. In town, there are several wine bars and winestores that have wine tastings. We have gone to wine tasting events at Vendome and have enjoyed dinner at Vertical (a wine bar/restaurant in Pasadena). There are probably several other good choices on the westside - Wally's wine shop, maybe.

For scenery - you have the ocean (drive the coast, hang out at the beach, hike in Malibu), the mountains (hike Mt. Hollywood, visit Griffith Observatory, several terrific trails in the Hollywood Hills such as Fryman) and the forest (Angeles National Forest - but do a little research as much is still closed from the fires a few years ago). There are also several terrific gardens - Huntington, Descanso and the Arboretum. For people watching scenery consider Montana Ave., 3rd Street, Melrose Ave. and the beaches - Venice, Manhattan, Huntington, Santa Monica to name a few. Or go shopping and people watch on Robertson, Melrose, Montana or 3rd Street Promenade.

A little further afield will take you east to hike Mt. Baldy or San Gorgonio, visit Mission Inn and shop in Riverside, all the way to Palm Springs (take the tram up San Jacinto) or drive south to Temecula (wine region) and San Diego or wander north to Ojai, Santa Barbara, Ventura.

Lots to do, plan, ask questions and have fun.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 03:44 AM

Hey - you might consider basing your self here in San Diego - and visiting LA for a couple of days.

Plenty to do here - especially if going to the beach if one of your main interests - as it's easier to get around here than in LA. You also have the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park/Safari Park now? - Old Town, the many museums at Balboa Park (again - easy to get around) - the beautiful ride on the bridge over to Coronado - the villages of La Jolla (the beach/setting at the Cove is like going to a beach in the Med), and Del Mar and up the Coast - and the Gaslamp district downtown is a bit hit - especially with the youger crowds.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 04:57 AM

I prefer San Diego/Orange county over Los angles - I would also base myself out of San Diego and go from there.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP hasn't been back. A first timer so maybe she is having trouble find her thread???
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM

We just got back from a wonderful trip out there to see the Rose Bowl Parade. We stayed in Burbank for a couple of days and drove around a lot. My husband and I love to "meander" around. We saw a lot of sights in LA that I bet most tourist don't see. Then we relocated ourselves to Long Beach and stayed on the Queen Mary. It was very nice and very interesting. One day we took the boat out to Catalina Island for the day. Always wanted to visit there. Long Beach was great to visit and good eating too.
I see by the replies back we missed a lot of places too. Oh well, next time...............
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Mom & Suzy: There are a lot of things to do in So Cal no Q. Burbank has some beautiful old homes, lining the road down into the Arroyo Seco/Rose Bowl - and I remember staying on the Queen Mary back in '77 or so. They gave neat travel kit souvenirs. And is the huge Spruce Goose still nearby?

And yes, it is amazing how much Long Beach has grown. I remember my mom and younger sisters taking the bus,back in '56 or so, all the way down there from Southern Oregon - and my first swim in the ocean and learning how to body surf. My mom was thinking of investing with another woman/friend in a 20 unit or so apartment building right on/by the beach - but then they couldn't agree on everything.

Geesh - that would be worth have been a small gold mine today, eh?