Search

southern advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
southern advice

Will be in Savannah area for 1 week in fall. Is Darien or Brunswick convenient to drive to Hilton Head, Charleston, etc? Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:18 PM

I visited Brunswick to do some research and thought it had a good feel to it. It reminded me of some of the more popular Southern cities now, but back when they weren't so popular.

But there were scant few hotels there. And not much to do. Very little in the way of shopping. I ended up at a historical museum that was in an old historic house but there wasn't much in it either.

It is a slow-moving very Southern city with some grand old homes and not very much else. I'm about ready to pack up and move there to beat the crowds that will be arriving 20 years from now.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Brunswick is about an hour and half south of Savannah. Hilton Head is just north of Savannah. What are you going to Brunswick and Darien for? There is not much to do in either place. Spend most of your time in Savannah. A great day trip to Jekyll Island to view the Hotel and mansions would be a good trip. If you can work it in Cumberland Island is an amazing place
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:28 PM

Or don't even go to Savannah and go to Chaarleston instead.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 08:56 AM

Do you want to stay at one hotel the whole trip? If so, don't stay in Brunswick or Darien. Stay in Savannah and go on day trips. There is nothing in Darien or Brunswick. As suggested before, you could do a day trip to Jekyll island to see the millionaires' "cottages." Cumberland Island is a nice trip but will be too far and you have to be on the ferry early in the morning. If you can, you should split up the trip and stay a few days in Savannah and Charleston.