Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Southeastern coastal Maine for lobster in winter?

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

I'm really looking forward to my upcoming trip to Maine for a long weekend getaway. Weather even seems to be cooperating! Now, if anyone could recommend some 'local' casual restaurants to get lobster [in any form -- roll, stew, whole] I'd appreciate it. My favorite place is closed from Oct. till April. This is the first time I'll be up there in winter, so, although I'm familiar with the area, I have no idea of what to expect. On one visit in Oct., there were already many places closed down till spring.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Where will you be? Allyson's in Dock Square, Kennebunkport, is open year round, and I think their lobster rolls are outstanding.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Monadnock. We will be staying in Camden. Kennebunkport is on the way up. I'll bring that name with me for the trip up. I'm looking for casual lunch spots. I look forward to trying one of their lobster rolls!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

I just called Allison's, and although they are open year round, they are closed this week! So, back to square one....... anyone with any other suggestions?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery. Open year round and it's an institution. VERY casual place.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Lois, Wyatt's suggestion is great; they also have fried clams and Ben & Jerry's ice cream--what more could you ask for?!

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Wyatt92 and Monadnock, thanks for the recommendation of Bob's in Kittery. We did get there, and loved the whole clams. They were so tender and light. Of course, I did have to have a lobster roll, and it was also very good. We had intended to stop there on the way back, but then bad weather hit, and we decided to head straight home. Ironically, we've noticed that place on previous visits, and always ended up across the street at a large, more touristy restaurant. Bob's was exactly what we were looking for. Thanks again for the recommendation!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Glad it worked out for you!