Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:12 AM
j9

southeast Arizona

We are travelling to SE Arizona to relax and
enjoy wildlife. Any recommendations on where
to stay, what to avoid?

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Thor

j9: I am assuming when you say wildlife, you are talking in gerneral terms, but it is hard to give you specific location advice unless you narrow it down a bit more. The Desert Museum in Tucson, however, would be a must for anyone interested in Wildlife. Although it is bascially a zoo, it is still fascinating, and well designed.

South East Arizona is a birder's paradise. There are all kinds of rareties to be found. In addition this is where some of the northern birds spend their winter holidays. If you are into birding there are several hot spots that also afford good hiking opportunities. Walks through Saguaro West and East on either side of Tucson will reveal all of the desert loving birds. Depending on how much time you have, Madera Canyon East of Green Valley, the Buenos Aires Wildlife area south west of Green Valley, Ramsey Canyon, and the San Pedro Valley near Sierra Vista should not be missed. I would also visit the Chirichuan National Monument (spelling?), south east of Wilcox, as well as the Wilcox Playa itself. Get a good birding book like Sibley or Petereson or an Arizonan specialty book available locally, and have a blast. If you look in any birding magazine, like Birders World, there are lots of B and B's advertised for SE Arizona that are in interesting birding locations, and that cater to nature lovers.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Merilee

I suggest a visit to the old copper mining town Bisbee...stay at the Copper Queen Hotel...it is quaint and charming as is the area...no matter where you look you are surrounded by beautiful mountains and scenery...you can also take a tour of a real mine...I have been told that this area is a birdwatchers paradise.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:34 AM
E.

Thor is your man...I lived in Sierra Vista for 2 years, and he's pretty much covered what you need to know. Of course, here are my 2 cents' worth: consider staying at the Ramsey Canyon Inn in Hereford. It's run by the Nature Conservancy, as is the Ramsey Canyon Preserve, so staying at the Inn gives you the privilege of entering the preserve after and before normal hours, a must for birding. Personally, I find the Copper Queen over rated as a place to stay, but you must at least visit Bisbee, which is indeed charming, and boasts 2 truly excellent restaurants: Cafe Roka and the High Desert Inn. Both feature great CA/nouvelle cuisine; Roka is louder and jazzier, the High Desert is more quiet and elegant. When driving between Tucson and the San Pedro Valley, avoid Hwy 90 and drive through Sonoita instead; the views are incomparable, and you won't lose any time. Lastly, I would avoid Kartchner Caverns unless you are a real cave enthusiast. It's crowded and expensive and low on educational value, which is too bad, b/c it was a true natural wonder and unspoiled before the state got its mitts on it. You're going to a beautiful spot--enjoy!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Thor

j9: I wish had talked to E before I visited the area. He/she has certainly added useful info to my " data bank". If you want an alternate suggestion to the Copper Queen in Bisbee, we stayed at the Inn at Castle Rock. It, too, is right downtown, and is definitely funky. The rooms are fairly basic, but they serve a good breakfast, ( included), and the building itself is a tourist destination in itself. The dining room has an actual open well in the middle of it!!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Ann

Thor, your mention of the Inn at Castle Rock reminded me of my stay there years ago (obviously under different ownership!!!). Even then it was totally funky, but it looks like they've really taken it up to new levels of elegance. When we stayed there the rooms were wallpapered in National Geographic maps and The Far Side pages! Really, I'm not joking, but even then it was a fun place to say. Now it must be fantastic! If we return, we'd stay there in a minute.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Karen

Southeastern Arizona is an unsung hero in this state...beautiful, totally different than many other areas. Leaving Patagonia, drive through San Rafael Valley, a long drive over grassy, hilly areas where parts of the movie Oklahoma was filmed. Thor and E have both given you great ideas and, also, there are several B&Bs in the area...you will find them on the internet...apparently they are picturesque and comfortable.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 03:46 AM
sharon

We stayed at the B&B at Ramsey Canyon and it was wonderful. Loads of hummingbirds feeding at the windows, great hiking in the Canyon. We especially loved the Chirichuhua Park area - incredible hiking and views. Bisbee is also fun for a night - the Copper Queen was quaint but nothing special. If you can get down to Ajo, visit Organ Pipe Nat'l Monument - fantastic area. We stayed at the Mine Manager's House. I highly recommend buying the Delorme Arizona Gazetteer - its great for finding off-the-beaten-path roads, towns, etc. Enjoy! I love Arizona!

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 12:43 PM
ingrid

I'v eposted this before: I highly recomemnd the Skywatcher's Inn near Benson, AZ. It's all about astronomy, great breakfast, and a very nice location.
In Bisbee wee stayed at the Bisbee Grand Hotel (a B&B) in their Chines Weddong Suite, which would have been great if it hadn't been right on top of the bar. Other rooms that were very likely a lot quieter were available, the Western suite was a ctually very neat. The owner gave us a tour of it.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 03:32 PM
E.

j9, I hope you have a splendid trip, but I have to tell you, this thread has made me sooo homesick! For myself and my fellow SE AZ lovers, I hope The Road takes us all back there soon!

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 07:05 AM
steve

In Bisbee, take the Copper Queen Mine tour.

I would also spend a hour or so in Tombstone.

Karhner Caverns has required reservations in the past, but recent articles indicate that they are easier to get.

I really liked Chiricahaua Nat'l Mon.