Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

South West airlines Oakland what is the recommended time to get there before flight.

Search

South West airlines Oakland what is the recommended time to get there before flight.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Southwest airlines flights are out now until May 07. I need to book a one way flight to Baltimore form Oakland airport on Wed 4th April 07. There is a non stop flight at 9.40am. We are staying at Columbus Motor Inn. What time do we need to leave the hotel so we are in good time for check-in re the 9.40am flight. In NZ check in is not later than 30 minutes before a domestic flight but from what I have been reading here it needs to be at least 2 hours for domestic flights in the US. There is a later flight at 1.40 pm with one stop that could probably work as well. Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly out of Oakland 10-12 times per year.

You should be at the airport by 8:00 am at the latest. To clarify that is at the terminal not returning rental car, or on the BART shuttle bus.

Security can be 10 minutes or in can be 45 minutes...I've seen it both ways in the morning.

Are your returning a rental car, taking BART, or being dropped off? That will factor into what time you need to leave the hotel.

It will probably take you about 45 - 60 minutes to drive from your hotel to the OAK airport.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 10:13 AM

I haven't flown out of Oakland since the new "liquids" rules have been in effect, so this may not be accurate information. But we generally get to Oakland airport 1.2 to 1.5 hours in advance of a Southwest flight. That is plenty of time, expecially if you print out our boarding pass yourself in advance. Otherwise, you might end up in the dreaded "B" group for boarding.

I don't know where the Columbus Motor Inn is, so I cann't predict what traffic you might encounter at that time of the morning. Hopefully someone else can help with that.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks saps. We will not have a car? Is BART the best way to get to the airport, how far is the station from our hotel? How do you get to the airport once the BART train has arrived. Oh just read your post again, I take it there is a shuttle bus? I guess I should do some more research.
Thanks again
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM

If you take BART you will have to either walk, taxi, or bus from your hotel to the BART station and then take a express (direct) bus from the BART station to the airport.

You can also look into taking a taxi to the airport (probably $75) or a private towncar (probably $75 - $100) or a airport shuttle bus ($25-30 per person or so).

BART will cost you about $30 when you figure in taxi to station, BART ticket, and bus ticket to airport.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 10:25 AM

should have clarified my first sentence...

If you take BART you will have to either walk, taxi, or bus from your hotel to the SF BART station and then take a express (direct) bus from the Oakland BART station to the airport.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM

The "shuttle bus" is not a bus, but a door-to-door commercial van.

I usually reserve Bay Shuttle, find it the cheapest, for 2 people (you said "we") the regular price is $43 ($33 the first person, add $10 for each additional person)

Check here for discounts in January, now they have them posted through December 31

http://www.bayshuttle.com/discounts.php

a list of a 1,000 shuttle companies is at the bottom of this page

http://www.flyoakland.com/shuttles.shtml
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Bay Shuttles sounds like a good option. Would leaving our hotel around 7am give us enough time at the airport to check -in. I have been reading about downloading boarding passes at midnight, is this the same day, or the day before?
Also need to book a flight from New York to LA on the 15th April. South West airlines fly out of Islip which seems to be a long way out from Manhatten. Any suggestions for a similar airline that flies from JFK or LGA.
Thanks again for your help everyone.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:57 PM

A 7 am pick up should be fine but you need to know if the shuttle van is going to make other stops for passengers. If you leave your hotel and go straight to OAK then that time should be fine. If you leave your hotel and stop at 2 other hotels then you may not leave yourself enough time.

On Southwest you can check-in and print boarding passes 24 hours before your flight.

For JFK to LA check Jet Blue for JFK to Long Beach flights. Long Beach is about 30-40 minutes south of LAX but depending on where you are going it might be a good option.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Make sure you have at least 1/2 hour window to allow the driver of the van to pick up other passengers.

I remember the "good old times" when they were so proud to advertise no more then 3 stops! Long gone
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Do not do Islip. You need to leave at least 2.5 hours just to get from the City to Islip - and maybe more since the train or Jitney runs only once per hour. So with the checl-in time allowance you need to leave the city at least 4 hours before flight time - and perhaps more if you meet rush hour, accidents or bad weather.

The only way it makes sense is if it saves you several hundreed dollars each.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 12:27 PM

I always fly Southwest EXCEPT to Islip---I tried it once because I had a free RT but it was a nightmare.(3-4 hours -missed ran into town etc...).from then on
In or out of NYC to west coast--I go Jet Blue to Long Beach, Oakland or Sacramento. Usually cheaper and very comfortable...
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

I'm not sure if I have done the right thing but have booked a Southwest airline flight from LGA it does says it is operated by ATA airlines, it leaves 10.05am 15th April, arrives Chicago 11.37am changes planes there leaves there at 2.40pm, gets to Orange County at 5.05pm. After I booked it I suddenly realised there will be a time difference, but not sure how much. How long will we be waiting at Chicago before our next flight. Sorry if this question sounds dumb.
As I was trying to book tickets last night the prices keep changing on me, and a couple of airlines didn't do e-ticketing and then wouldn't accept NZ as a mailing address. In the finish I just booked the one that seemed easiest, but may not have been the best one.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK maybe I'm a little confused.

" Isuddenly realised there will be a time difference, but not sure how much. How long will we be waiting at Chicago before our next flight."

There won't be a time change while you are on the ground in Chicago. You land at 11.37am and take off at 2.40pm = approx 3 total hours on the ground. (Schedules list local times at the airport where the arr/dep happens.)
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I guess my next question is, how long is the flight from LGA to Chicago.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 01:31 PM

All your flight info will be in local time...

You arrive in Chicago 11:37 am and depart 2:40 pm local time (Central) so you will have 3 hours between flights.

When you land in Orange County at 5:00 pm it will be Pacific Time (8 pm East Coast Time, 7 pm Central Time).

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 01:34 PM

NY to Chicago 2.5 hours

You take off at 10:05 and land at 11:40 Central Time but it will be 12:40 East Coast Time so total flight time is 2.5 hours.

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. This trip is finally becoming a reality although there is still 4 months or so to go.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 03:36 PM

nelsonian

If you are staying at the Columbus Motor Inn in San Francisco, I would change that and stay the night before your flight in an Oakland airport hotel, no matter where you are going. Then you can make a morning flight.

It is not easy to get from the Marina District in San Francisco to the Oakland airport in a hurry.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Actually the Columbus Motor Inn is on Columbus St. in North Beach, the northern end of North Beach.

nelsonian, it would be more fun to stay the last night in SF. If you prefer that I would think about taking the 1:40pm Southwest flight you mentioned in your first post as early morning traffic will be so heavy in the SF/Bay Area. Southwest always tells us to be at our Sacramento airport two hours in advance, especially for the busy morning flights to I would assume you should be at the Oakland Airport no later than 8:00am as saps mentioned if you take the 9:40am flight. I would book the shuttle bus for a 6:30am pickup at the Columbus Inn to be on the safe side. Have a wonderful time in SF!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -