Search

South Utah itinerary advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:35 PM
RB1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Utah itinerary advice

We have 2 wks vacation in mid Oct. Starting point is Colorado Springs ending in Las Vegas. It is our first time to the area (except for me- Colorado Springs). After reading a lot of info here (thank you!), I have come up with the itinerary below, but I am afraid I am not estimating my times well. Colorado Springs and Vegas are almost 'set in stone', but I have difficulty in between. Is the route Zion-GC-LV too much of a loop? Can day 6 be done? If not, is there a more logical way to arrange this trip and still see all/most of these sites? (I've already given up on the Telluride/Ouray/Durango to Mesa Verde route All advice is appreciated!

Day 1: Arrive in Denver- rent car on way to Colorado Springs.
Day 2: Colorado Springs (garden of the gods, etc.)
Day 3: Colorado Springs to Moab (7 hrs) ? I70
Day4: Moab-Arches
Day 5: Moab- Canyonlands, Island in the Sky and Dead Horse State Park
Day 6: Early departure from Moab to Monument Valley, Mesa Verde (feasible??)
Day 7 Torrey
Day 8 Boulder all day- get to Bryce
Day 9 Bryce all day- in the evening get to Zion
10 Zion
11 Zion to GC (s. rim) 5:50 hrs(?)
12 GC
13 GC to LV (5 hrs)
14 LV
15 LV
16 LV- home
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:14 PM

We just got back from a similar trip which is the second to that area in two years. If we were choosing we would definitely choose the drive from Ouray down to Durango over Capitol Reef. The scenery is just amazing in southwestern Colorado. Captiol Reef is fine but I wouldn't miss the Million Dollar Highway if I could help it. You could stay in Ouray overnight from Colorado Springs and then drive down to Durango the next day. Then over to Mesa Verde and up to Moab.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 11:14 PM

You are asking to much of Day 6. You would have to drive by Monument Valley and then won't have ANY time to see Mesa Verde once you get there. Remember in late October the days will be short. You might have about 10 hours of daylight!

You are going to have to cut out something and it will have to be Mesa Verde or a day in Las Vegas.

The Million Dollar Highway is scenic but I would worry about the weather & possible snow in late October.

Utahtea
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:32 AM

RB1,
I would skip Monument Valley completely and head straight from Moab to Torrey. We did an 8 day trip of southern Utah last Sept and we're going back mostly to spend more time in the Boulder/Torrey/Capitol Reef area because it's so spectacular. I would save Monument Valley and Mesa Verde for another time. Believe me, you'll be going back for more.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 05:27 AM

Yes, you are doing way too much on day 6 but I wouldn't give up anything. Instead, push back all your days by one, giving up one day in Vegas. IMO you won't miss the extra time in Vegas but you will miss seeing Monument Valley and Mesa Verde.

Even if you just drive past Monument Valley towards Mesa Verde, you won't regret it. Driving into the visitor center in Mesa Verde takes more time than you'd expect. If you take the Big House Tour at Mesa Verde you'll get a good idea of the Park. And yes, you'll want to return for more! Have a great time!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:40 PM
RB1
Original Poster

Thank you guys! taking what you said into consideration and cutting vegas by one day, can we do:

Day 3: Colorado Springs to Telluride
Day 4:Telluride to Mesa Verde
Day5: Mesa Verde, Monument Valley and now I get into the problem of getting all the way up to Arches and then retracing our steps to Torrey...

If you had to miss one attraction, which one would you say is more or less repetitive or less breathtaking?... (as a first timer, I don't have the sense of what I cannot possibly miss and what I can leave for the 'next time')

I always try to plan our trip with diversity in scenery and activities - that's why the combination of Colorado, Utah and LV appeals to me so much. But I have to admit that I'm stuck in deciding the best way to approach days 3-7. What to do????