South Dakota Trip Report

Search

South Dakota Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Dakota Trip Report

We, my husband and twin-ten-year-old boys, had a great trip to South Dakota thanks to all the tips on this board.

We spent three nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Hill City. The hotel was fairly new and seemed to be well run. The location was good. We ate the first night at the Alpine Inn. They offer only a filet mignon dinner for $7.95. The restaurant gets packed, but we were there right before 5:00 when they opened and got right in. The dinner was fine, but the dessert was wonderful. We had a caramel apple cheesecake and the seven layer chocolate cake.

After dinner we went to Keystone and rode the Alpine Slide—I thought it was overpriced, but the boys enjoyed it. The next stop was Mt. Rushmore. We got there early enough to see it in the daytime and hung around until the nighttime lighting and show. My boys did the junior ranger program, but didn’t really enjoy it much. They did enjoy the hike around the amphitheater, and all the rocks to climb on.

The next morning we were up early and went to Bear Country USA before the weather got too hot (we were there during record high temperatures). We all really enjoyed Bear Country. I was expecting just a couple bears, but there were loads of them, wandering near the cars. Especially fun was seeing the baby bears climbing a tree and playing in the sprinklers.

From there we headed to Custer State Park and drove the Needles Highway. This was really impressive with the jagged rocks and small tunnels. Of course, this also involved more rock climbing.

Next we went to Custer for dinner at the Sage Creek Grill. This was the best meal of the trip. We had a Cajun Chicken Linguini that was fabulous. We stopped along the road on the way back to our hotel and saw Crazy Horse.

The third day we had reservations to tour Jewel Cave. We did the scenic tour and everyone enjoyed it, although the boys would have liked to have gotten off the paths to rock climb. From there we headed to Sylvan Lake and rented a paddle boat. They have a small beach where lots of people were swimming. Of course the boys wanted to swim out to the rocks and climb.

That night we did a hayride and chuck wagon dinner at the Blue Bell Lodge. Although I thought it was overpriced, $36 for adults and $30 for kids, it was fun. They have a cowboy in each wagon with his guitar singing silly cowboy songs and doing sing-a-longs. After a 45-minute hayride, they take you to a meadow for a steak dinner and more entertainment. The dinner was just okay, but it was a fun evening.

We ate breakfast the next morning at the Continental Inn, it was just okay—I wouldn’t go back. After checking out of our hotel we headed to Reptile Gardens. We went to the snake show, the alligator show and the bird show. The boys enjoyed seeing all the different snakes and critters.

Our next stop was Wall Drug for a buffalo burger and homemade ice cream. It’s definitely a tourist trap, but was a fun stop for the boys and a good place for lunch on the way to the Badlands.

We didn’t get to the Badlands until early afternoon and it was HOT. But that didn’t stop the twins from rock climbing. They had great fun climbing at the Fossil Exhibit Nature Trail. They said this was their favorite part of the trip. My husband and I weren’t very impressed with the Badlands.

Deadwood was where we spent the next two nights at the Holiday Inn Express—it was great. My boys enjoyed the reenactment of the shooting of Wild Bill Hitchcock and the trial of Jack McCall. My son was chosen to be a part of the trial, which was really fun. Dinner was at #10 Saloon Social Hall. The food was very good.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

The next day we drove to Devil’s Tower and hiked around the Tower. Of course there were plenty of rocks to climb. We drove back to Deadwood through Spearfish Canyon and stopped at Bridal Veil Falls and Little Spearfish Falls. Little Spearfish Falls is on a trail behind the Latchkey restaurant, where we ate lunch. The boys changed into their swimming suits and played in the water and the falls. Dinner that night was at the Chinatown Café in Deadwood—good food.

That night we attend the passion play in Spearfish. My husband and boys didn’t enjoy it much; it was too slow for them. I did get a little teary when they were hammering in the nails.

We were up early the next morning and drove the 11 hrs. back to Salt Lake. It was definitely a fun trip. We brought along a DVD player and Gameboys for the kids and they didn’t complain about the drive once.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I’d be happy to answer any question.

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the trip report. I took notes; we are debating a SD vacation in a few years. My dad is from SD (eastern side) and I thought it would be nice for us all to go out and see where he grew up, and then drive west to see the sights.

My boys sounds a lot like yours - mine don't like to hike, but they love scrambling and climbing up rocks!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 02:14 PM

Nice report. Wow, though. I really disagree about the Badlands. There isn't much there, but we thought it was very intense and fascinating. Our kids loved the pig dig and the praire dog villages, and I couldn't get over the landscape.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Karens - the Black Hills are so beautiful - definitely a great trip!

sfamylou - maybe we didn't enjoy the Badlands because of the time of day/heat, or because we missed the pig dig. Also after seeing the colors at Bryce Canyon.

Here's a link to our trip pictures http://tinyurl.com/gso6b if you'd like to check them out.

Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:00 PM

thanks for the report. We're going there next week so I'm taking notes. I just wondered what's a pig dig?
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks doglover - you should have a great trip. They are predicting cooler weather next week.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:28 AM

Doglover when we were in the Badlands last August, we heard about the Big Pig Dig. Apparently, a park visitor found an animal backbone sticking out of the earth. Turned out it was an ancient mini rhino. They also have found enormous wild pigs and a saber tooth tiger. It was really interesting to see an active dig, to be able to walk right under the tent and talk to the archaelogists.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:59 AM

Loved your report. We have taken a zillion vacations all over the world with our kids and the one they remember the most vividly
was South Dakota and the Black Hills/Badlands! We stayed in a darling log cabin in Custer and thoroughly enjoyed everything the area had to offer. It was also refreshingly affordable and uncomplicated!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:01 PM

Hi Barbara,

Your trip sounds great! I haven't made it to SD yet. The boys sound like climbing fiends! They must love living close to so many "rocks".
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle! You would love SD. We're headed to Smith Morehouse for the weekend. Hopefully there will be rocks!

Barbara
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:25 AM

thanks for the report and for the pics! I'm planning a trip for September and am staying at Custer State Park - is it possible to make the Badlands a one day trip or is it too far for an enjoyable day trip?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

travelkitty - no the Badlands are not too far for a fun one day trip. If we did it again, I'd try to go in the morning to avoid the heat, then stop in Wall for a buffalo burger for lunch.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:14 AM

topping for sumreknot
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:44 AM

anyone know when is a good time to go to the bad lands? To the poster who said there is nothing in the badlands, are you a hiker? Does that mean that there are no trails with vistas?

FYI for all PBS on their American Experience series has a segment dedicated exclusively to the building of Mount Rushmore.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:08 AM

There are hikes in the badlands :
-3 have trail heads in the west part :
doors, windows and notch. The first two are easy, flat but you can "enter" the badlands "out of hike" at the end of doors.
Notch has some climbs(one on ladder) but nothing really difficult.

A last hike on this part is Cliff Shell, easy and with interpretative pannels.
There is a possible combo , from west to east or east to west for a # 12 miles hike : Castle + Medecine Roots :
Castle begins or at the same parking lot than Windows and hiking west you can follow it till Fossil Exhibit which is east part of the park.
Going back at "Saddle pass" you can
do a detour by medecine roots trail.
The combo is easy, flat but there is no
shadow...
It's flat, and with the 2 trails you traverse differents paysages(prairies, badlands, volcanic,...).
This year we began by saddle(a 20-30 mn climb) and from the top we follow castle to fossil, back to saddle and then medecin roots to east before returning.
You can also hike by yourself in other parts of the park(sage creek in the north part-some bisosns are here- or white river center on the south..).
If you begin early in the morning, wildlife is present(we've seen this year bighorn sheeps and deers).
A good adress to sleep in Interior(4 miles from park entrance) : circleview ranch).
Websites : www.nps.gov/badl/
ww.circleviewranch.com
Don't know who says there is nothing to do in the badlands...We were not in the same park...
In my recent report you'll find some ideas/othezr parts of SW south dakota...Really worth the time you have here...
Erik.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM

thanks Erik, I have always wanted to go to the badlands. Its great to read a hiker's experience.

What can you tell us about medicine root trail?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:42 AM

Medecine Roots is one of the trail in Badlands.
The best way, in our opinion :
-begin at Saddle Pass trailhead and try to arrive early in the morning.
-climb saddle pass(20 to 30 mn, depending your physical possibilities!)
-arriving at the top, take a west
direction on Castle trail, direction Fossil exhibit-it's a 2/2,3 miles long from Saddle to Fossil.
No difficulties, a lot of brown panels for direction.
At Fossil, you can do the small trail,
take a small rest(toilets there).
Then back to Saddle Pass by the same way.
Back to Saddle, take the Medecine Root
trail(direction "north") : it's 1,2/1,5
miles in the prairies and if you have a
"flora book of SD", you can recognize the differents flowers, grasses and herbs, some of them used by native indians in their medecine(reason of the name of the trail).
When Medecine root joins Castle again, continue to east to the end of the trail(which is doors/window/notch trailheads).
And you have only to come back to Saddle by Castle...
You can eat or near Saddle or just after the jonction's point Medecine roots/Castle : there are some small
cliffs with some shadows...
The entire combo is a 11,5/12,3 miles long, with only one climthe first on Saddle), but you traverse a lot of different paysages(Castle is longing the badlands near teh cliff, medecine roots is in the prairies...).
If you begin at 8/8'30 you'll be back at 3'45/4'30 or 5 at maximum.
Take a shower, relax a few and you can end the day by the cliff shell trail a 1 mile very easy interpretative trail, before a dinner at Cedar pass lodge for the sunset(take a table direct at the windows to the Badlands..): the trout and the half herb chicken are excellent, the brownie also but unhapply under an himalaya of chantilly, unnecessary...
Erik.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:30 AM

topping