South Dakota, Mt Rushmore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A brief visit with America,s First President.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

It is a beautiful summer day with clear blue skies as I leave Rapid City Airport. I am on my way down Highway 16W to the town of Keystone, the gateway to Mt. Rushmore.

About twenty miles down the road I arrive in Keystone and it looks like a good place for lunch break. A main street lined with shops and restaurants provides a good opportunity for a stroll before I settle down for a tasty pulled pork sandwich.

It is not long after leaving Keystone that America's First President, George Washington, comes into view. Awesome!

Thinking a close up view would be more amazing, I pay an $11 entrance fee to park but I am a bit disappointed. By George, I think I like you more from a distance.

Had I been able to take in a Park Ranger lead hike maybe the $11 entrance fee would have been more worthwhile.

Back on the road I get another impressive glimpse of Mt. Rushmore. This time, I think I see a bit of resemblance between old George and myself.

Wow, he was actually one handsome dude!

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-OSIpsOA34
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 03:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job. It is on my list as a place I want to go before I die. Funny, Tracy and I were talking about Mt. Rushmore last night. Thanks for sharing the video.

Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

maitaitom,

I think you and Tracy would really enjoy a trip to the Black Hills area. It is a beautiful part of America that should be on everyone's bucket list.

I also hope you are around long enough to see Crazy Horse Memorial which is less than 30 miles away completed. Just a little heads up, that's oh.. another 80-100 years from now
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I just saw your video on Crazy Horse. Good stuff. When is the best time to visit, in your opinion? If I'm alive in 80 years, I'll only be 139, so I will look forward to it. My trip report will be titled Crazy Tom at Crazy Horse. Keep on going with those youtube videos. I love my little FLIP so I think I'll try a short video on one of my next journeys.

Old Aug 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

maitaitom,

I think Fall would be spectacular. Less crowded and beautiful foliage.

I am sure at 139 you will be fine. Afterall, it is never how you feel but it is how you look. And even now you look, marvelous, simply marvelous

I have used the hectic out of my Flip. So far 110 or so youtube videos... Think you should get through most of them before your 125th birthday.