South Dakota Local Restaurants

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 09:15 PM
marci

South Dakota Local Restaurants

Am planning a trip through SD on I-90 later this year.Need suggestions on good local places to eat- not too far from the interstate-half the fun of travel is finding local specialities. Love steak,burgers & fish.Just hubby & I-no kids-but want a casual place...will be on road most of time. Thanks, Marci

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 07:35 PM
jack

ttt

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Okay, we're not talking "fine dining" here, but a couple of places I love to stop: Al's Oasis, which is just on the west side of the Missouri River at Chamberlain (buffalo burgers and great pie -- you won't go away hungry). I also like to stop at Wall Drug. There is a fabulous western art collection on the walls and the people-watching can be very entertaining, too. If you want something unique and you have a little more time, go into Rapid City and try the Firehouse Brewing Company (620 Main Street). Fun place!

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 06:00 PM
marci

Thanks Jim,Not looking for fine dining while traveling over 1600 miles-just good food featuring regional specialities....keep theose suggestions coming...Marci

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 01:50 PM

ttt

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 10:52 AM
topp

ttt

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Marsha

We live in Sioux Falls (intersection of I-29 and I-90). I would agree that you must stop at Al's Oasis in Oacoma (west side of the Missouri River) and have a buffalo burger. You know Al's is good because all the locals eat there. Unfortunately, I can't think of any place to stop in Sioux Falls near the Interstate. We have excellent Chinese restaurants, but they are in the heart of the city. I would recommend the Golden Wall at 26th St. and Minnesota Ave. or the China Buffet at 41st St. and Western Ave. Other than that, we are city of chain restaurants - all located in the vicinity of our mall at 41st Street and Interstate 29.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Dr. Bitterpants

Marci, there is a tourist stop "1880s Town" that is about 60(?) miles east of the entrance to Badlands National Park's east entrance. The diner there is made up of converted 1930's/40's -era train dining cars. Nothing special -- just diner food.

However, if you do stop in at the Badlands' cafe at the in-park lodging/trading post Cedar Pass Lodge, you must try the local Indian Taco. (Also at many SD local cafes around the area.) It's Indian frybread with taco meat & toppings. Traditional Native American food? Oh heavens no. But goooooood & greeeeeasy!

And they are right about Wall Drug & Al's Oasis.

I'll try to think of more... heading back to the Black Hills this spring, so I'll check those dining receipts...

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:32 AM

ttt

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 10:29 AM
KC

Marci, if you are in a hurry to get across the state, I-90 is the way to go. And all the "local dining" selections you have already received are on target. If you have a bit of extra time, though, travel off I-90 a bit. The Redlin art center in Watertown, the Capitol Building in Pierre, and the Badlands south of Wall will all be missed if you stay strictly on I-90. South Dakota is a beautiful state with diverse topography, but a trip along the interstate won't let you enjoy all the variety.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Jim

Hey,that's a great question-my family is headed to the Badlands this summer--keep the suggestions coming all you folks from South Dakota....

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Denise

I don't know much about the Eastern Side of the State but you definitely want to go to the Badlands. Also you might want to consider the heritage museum in Rapid City. Its a high tech museum that tells the story of the Lakota Tribe. By high tech I mean you carry a wand that as you step into different areas of the museum it tells you about what you are viewing. You definitely want to go to Mount Rushmore and I highly recommend their evening lighting ceremony.

As for food. Stopped at a place coming across I-90 that I had seen billboards for...something about Nice waitresses not snotty ones or something like that. It was good, diner food, seemed to be a place for the older local men to hang out and talk to their buddies, a place for the teens to come after school for a milkshake, and a place that the locals would come for lunch. Sorry don't remember the name though. In Rapid City, nothing is far from I-90. If you take I-190, take a left onto St. Joseph street, you are going straight through downtown and there are a number of restaurants. Smiley's pizza is a place I have eaten lunch. If you take a left onto Omaha (before you get to St. Joseph) then there is a Sanford's Grub and Pub and its good. Huge menu, certainly could meet the varied interests of anyone in your family.
Hope this helps