South Carolina UpCountry

Search

South Carolina UpCountry

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Carolina UpCountry

We will be visiting the northwest corner of S.C. in October and would like some suggestions about what to do and see. Our accommodations will be in the small town of Westminster. Also, we are in need of recommendations for places to eat. We have consulted the guidebooks, but they seem to feature places like Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:25 PM

You will be at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Some notable sights nearby are, The Chattooga River (movie Deliverence filmed), Tallulah Falls/Gorge, (The "Grand Canyon of the East"), Cowpens (Revolutionary War battlefield), and some of the most spectacular waterfalls east of the Mississippi. My favorite place to eat is The Dillard House in Dillard, Ga. about 30 miles away. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:12 PM

If you'll be in the neighborhood, you ought to head into Greenville, which boasts a lovely downtown... and not much else. Sorry... I don't like Greenville, and I'm not wild about South Carolina in general.

Seriously though, downtown Greenville is nice, with lots of trees, some public art, and a beautiful riverfront park where the walking paths will lead you to the jewel in Greenville's crown -- a 60 ft tall natural waterfall. There are also lots of fountains in downtown Greenville, and four public squares.

Downtown Greenville also has a terrific library, a few good museums like the Greenville County Museum of Art and the History Museum of Upcountry South Carolina, as well as a nice little zoo in Cleveland Park. A ride through the suburbs will show you just what an ugly hole Greenville is, but that's where you'll find the Roper Mountain Science Center, an authentic replica of a 14th century Japanese castle (believe it or not), two big malls, and the Gallery of Sacred Art, a world-class museum of religious art at Bob Jones University (yes, that one).
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Do a search on the following cities in Georgia and see if they interest you:

Clayton (home of the Foxfire series of books - mountain homesteads, hand crafts, etc.).

Dillard (home of the Dillard House which has very good food).

Commerce - home of outlet malls and a very nice gardening store - I can't remember the name, but is huge.

You are also less than an hour from the NC mountains (which several of us can speak on at great length

Mike Honeycutt

You are also not that far from Atlanta.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips. I would like to know more about the N. C. mountains which we can access from S. Carolina. Also, how far to the Atlanta airport? Will be get into lots of traffic?
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 02:50 PM

You will be very near the campus of Clemson University (go Tigers!!) and many beautiful lakes and parks. Lake Jocassee is an especially scenic mountain lake and a great fishing and boating spot. Also beautiful million dollar resort homes and golf courses are in the Lake Toxaway, NC area. A visit to nearby Devil's Fork State Park (SC) and Whitewater Falls would be a great way to spend a day. The mountain towns of Cashiers and Highlands are in North Carolina and both are well worth a visit. The entire area offers many unique craft and antique shops. While there, you may as well take a drive through the breathtaking Cullasaja gorge if narrow winding roads and heights don't bother you.

Greenville is about an hour's drive from Westminster and is also the home of Furman University. The Peace Center for the Performing Arts offers first rate programs of theater, music, etc. and the BiLo Arena frequently has top music groups such as the Dixie Chicks, Shania Twain, etc. If you will write back with the dates you will be here, I'll check the paper to see what will be going on. Oh, and don't forget Main Street. Thursday night music groups always attract large youthful crowds. There are many wonderful restaurants on Main St. and also in the suburbs.

I could go on and on, but the upstate and foothills are South Carolina's best kept secret.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

The information from ellicut was very helpful.
We will be in Westminster from Oct. 17-24. It is probably a bit early for paper event listings, but please keep us in mind. I will keep checking this site. Thanks to everyone.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:59 PM

Hello Massteacher - the NC mountains are less than hour from Westminister.
Asheville will be closer to 1.5 to 2 hours. You can search the net or Fodors for "Asheville" or "Smokies" and you'll find lots of posts. You can find tons of hiking, history (Biltmore House), gambling (Cherokee),
etc.

As for Atlanta, I would estimate you are 2.5 to 3 hours away. Traffic can be heavy around rush hours, but I find Atlanta fairly easy to drive in. Being it is the largest city in the southeast, you should find something of interest for everyone.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:51 PM

A lot of the above mentioned suggestions are good. I second the Highlands recommendation, and a drive up there at that time should provide some good fall color. Also, you will be on SC Highway 11, which should also be quite pretty in mid-to-late October (basically peak leaf season here). Just off Highway 11 are Table Rock State Park or Caeser's Head State Park if you're a hiker (some easy, some more difficult) or just want a good place for a picnic.

I have to stick up for SC since it's not one of hauntedheadnc's favorite places. Don't get me wrong, I hope to retire in the western NC mountains, but SC is a pretty good place!

You're also not far from Helen, GA, which is a Germany-themed village in the northern GA mountains. They have an Oktoberfest that runs the entire month.

You're going to be in a beautiful area of the Upstate and Appalachians in the peak leaf season (even if the colors are subdued this year as they say due to all the rain). Have a great time!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Do go have a look at the Chatooga River. I cannot believe I rafted that river (with an outfitter) when I was in that area the beginning of August. The river in the film "Deliverance" was a composite of 3 rivers, but, yes, the Chatooga is one of them!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:07 AM
iceeu2

You are going to be in an absolutely great area for this time of year. Yes, definitely do the NC,TN and GA mountains. The weekend you arrive, do a search for apple festival +ellijay. The apple festival will be going on in Ellijay, GA that weekend along with lots of other festivals. The leaves should be changing...If you are not into craft festivals, do the drive anyway and go to one of the many apples houses..you are there right in harvest season..I'm with one of the other posters on eating at the Dillard House. Since you are right on the GA line..do a search for fall festivals in GA or a search on Northeast GA..Cleveland, GA, has Babyland General...Dahlonaga, GA was a gold rush town(the Smith House is in Dahlonaga, but the last time we were there the food was not that great), lots of great state parks..waterfalls, etc.
You will have a wonderful time just getting in the car and driving..Just head into NC, GA, TN....it's a beautiful area.
I don't know if the jockey lot (big flea market) is still the happening place in Anderson, SC, or not....ask around.