South Beach Miami Hotel Rec...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help please..reunion 4 sisters. Need hotel rec, mid-range ($200.00)for 1 night only end of January. Prefer on "main strip". Special restaurant suggestion also? Thanks
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:43 AM
GoTravel

What do you mean on 'main strip'? Do you want Collins Avenue (oceanfront hotels), Ocean Drive (a bit more restaurants and nightlife), Washington Avenue (all the nightlife), or off Lincoln Road Mall (shopping and dining).

South Beach is a fairly small area only around 20 blocks long.

rjw likes the Cordoza on Ocean Drive and I like the Doubletree Surfcomber and South Seas Hotel on Collins Avenue near Lincoln Road Mall.

Keep in mind most of the hotels on Ocean Drive don't have pools.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:57 AM

I just stayed at the Clinton on WAshington last week, and I thought it was a nice spot for the money. Recently renovated, private pool. You walk less than a city block/five minutes to Collines Ave. The prices were reasonable and it was quiet.

After checking out some of the other hotels for my next trip there, I'd recommend the Park Central on Collins. It is far enough on the end of the strip so you're not boom-boomed to sleep at night. The decor is in keeping with deco renovations, not updated to glitzy new-age or tropical nirvana.

My first rec though would be the Tiffany on Ocean Drive for its rooftop pool,bar and view, and its wonderful restaurant, Wish. This is a terrific place. For a lower price but very nice and renovated with class (and I don't know if they have a pool), I'd go with the Blue Moon Hotel.

For a dinner out, there is a terrific newer Haitian restaurant called Tap-tap where we had our cheapest meal but best fish dish ($14). This is a small place that is covered with gorgeous Haitian murals. But for only one night out, I'd splurge and go to either Wish (mmmm, I'm still dreaming of my experience there) or a Fish called Avalon.

Sorry I don't have any prices. You'll have to do the work for that...
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Ducking in quickly (Hi, Go!! ) to basically echo what GoTravel has already said.... Of the Collins Avenue beachfront hotels, her choices are the best at the price point you're looking for. I'm a huge fan of the Cardozo on Ocean Drive, but be aware that it's a bit north of the wildness. Not a bad thing in and of itself. Another possibility, a bit farther south, is the Park Central (tiny pool). And, now that I think of it, the Winterhaven, a bit north of the Cardozo, is an under-the-radar possibility as well. These are all hotels from the height of the Déco era-- 1930s-vintage buildings with relatively small rooms (and generally tiny bathrooms). They're all well-maintained, clean and comfortable, IMHO.

Special restaurant? How much do you want to spend? I am a huge fan of Wish, in The Hotel (Collins and 8th). The executive chef, Michael Bloise, has created a menu of complex fusion cuisine-- European-based with wild Asian flourishes. Unlike, say, Ludovic Lefebvre (who is destroying LA's onetime best French restaurant, Bastide), Bloise is good at it, and the food is wonderful. The patio is just about the best place in Miami to toss back an electric martini and enjoy life. Go will have some other recos, I'm sure.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:26 AM
GoTravel

Tandoori, I love the Tiffany which is actually now The Hotel designed by Todd Oldham but it is very expensive. They have the very best mojitos in South Beach with the best view.

Did you have a good time?

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:51 AM

GoT, I've worked on my trip report but haven't posted yet. Real soon, promise. I had a great time, if not only because we were w/o the nino. I hadn't stayed at S. Beach for really 20 years, nor visited Lincoln Rd. in 10 so it was fun.

What's with all the beds poolside? I don't know where else they do that, certainly not up Tampa way. The Delano had a NY eve party with poolside bed rentals for $1000 for someone's huge posse, I suppose. All the celebs were lined up, ludicrus and paris hilton were guaranteed to be everywhere, the herald said, wondering how that could be true. All the Delano's cabana's were rented out, admission alone was $275. We headed back to Tampa NY eve day so I had to pass on the beds, haha. Our hotel also had poolside beds and our balcony was about 4 feet away from one. I wondered if I'd be listening to poolside rapture in the middle of the night. Tehehehe. What a place.

The Tiffany neon sign is still out, what a great sign it is, wonder why they don't call it that? But you say it's The Hotel. Wish was wonderful.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:24 AM

The badging of the old Tiffany Hotel as The Hotel is really a PR gimmick more than anything else. The owners decided to change the name for marketing purposes, I'm sure. However, Miami Beach's city government has very strict rules in the Art Déco District about changing signage; the Tiffany neon spire stays, new name or not.

Sounds like South Beach is still trying to stay a vital part of the Scene-- but Paris Hilton's "Use By" date is just about past, isn't it? Using her as a drawing card for a party smacks of desperation. She's so last summer...!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:37 AM

We don't get alot of celebs up Tampa way, rjw. Believe me, Paris would not be considering Tampa for NY eve

I saw Jackie Mason at Jerry's Deli. He was being so gracious. Seemed bigger than life. And I'm not even a big fan of his but some celebs are so down to earth, you just love them.

I enjoyed seeing the changes at S. Beach and Lincoln Rd after a 10-year hiatus. I know everyone likes to dumb it down but there's no place quite like it. thank the lord for Barbara Kapitman whom I met in 75 at her home while on a video gig for a news spot about the district. Wish there was someone like her here to stick up for Treasure Island, an area of cool 1950s architecture. After destroying one of the best hotels, they replaced it with the South Beach Hotel and Condos, a purple and green abomination that doesn't even look deco. What idiots. And...what were they thinking?!? Jeez.

Even Paris would cringe
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
GoTravel

TG, I think the 'beds' came about after Ian Shragher's cutting edge at the time Delano opened its doors.

It was so innovative at the time (sleek, pampered, white, cool, crisp) when everyone else was doing 'hard' edge deco refurbishment.

It was an inexpensive way for everyone else to jump on the bandwagon and they did. It worked and now everyone has those bed like chaise lounges for the pool and beach. Even restaurants (B.E.D.) and nightclubs have them.

All of the rennovated hotels now have to keep the original name on the building. The new Ritz-Carlton has the Di Lido sign over its facade.

South Beach is less and less a favorite of the Hollywood and Eurotrash crowd and more so with wealthy Latin Americans, wealthy South Americans, and the Hip Hop crowd. Cher, Madonna, Elton John, and Sylvester Stallone have moved out and moved on.

My sister who lives in South Beach (but not much longer) hates what has become of South Beach. While there is still the core of locals, the modeling industry which helped put South Beach on the map has moved out.

Another thing that has hurt South Beach is that most people are afraid to go to South Beach. South Beach for years went by the MO that if you aren't young and beautiful, don't bother. They prided themselves on the 'red velvet rope' snobbishness and let's be honest here; who wants to go on vacation to be insulted? Not to mention the fact that it is grossly overpriced.

Meanwhile, Ft. Lauderdale up the street is laughing at the mistakes South Beach has made and is the up and coming beautiful stepsister.

I'd be willing to bet property values in Ft. Lauderdale have increased 30% in the last 24 months.

On the upside, I have such a blast in South Beach I can't imagine not going. So what Mr. GoTravel and I aren't twenty something gazillionaires? I can't think of a better way to end a day than with a mojito at the rooftop pool of The Hotel or The Delano Pool Bar.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM

I hear Bikini Beach is all beds. And all those hookahs for sale (which I also saw at hippy shops in Charlottesville), I guess hashish and opium and anything smokable is still in style.

We were really turned off by hawkers trying to get us into both nightclubs and restaurants on S. Beach with "deals". On Collins, Ocean, and Washington. It was the epitome of tacky.

We spent some time in Coral Gables. It seemed so sloooow and anglo after S. Beach. I saw very few af-ams in S. Beach, or anywhere.

Property values in all of FL have gone through the roof. I own a couple of houses so I'm pleased. We have Save-Our-Homes which keeps taxes low for FL homesteaders but not so for rentals and out-of-staters. And when I see the prices listed in Miami I realize we still have further to go as the predictions are that values will continue to go up, up, up. In S. Tampa an empty lot is $275 or more, and that's only if you could find one. The burbs used to be cheaper but no more. Someone built a $950,000 house behind mine and honey, it ain't no million dollar house. But it is. Go figure, Go travel
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM

I've been to The Hotel and had drinks in the bar as well as a wonderful dinner outside. But what are you talking about the "best view", Go Travel? Was I missing something. I didn't see any "view" from there.

Regarding renting beds around a poool. You can go to West Miami and stay at a Days Inn and rent an air mattress by the pool. Does that count?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Hi All,

I also highly recommend The Hotel of South Beach, where I celebrated my 30th bday. I'm a frequent visitor to South Beach, and think it's one of the best places to stay. You absolutely have to do dinner one night in their gorgeous courtyard restaurant, Wish (my fave restaurant in Miami). If you like Italian, you must try Escopazzo, which I believe is on Washington or Collins, for a phenomenal and intimate experience. You can check out my full report on The Hotel on Trip Advisor around Dec. 2003.

BTW the name of the hotel changed when it was purchased by new owners, not b/c of any "marketing/PR" ploy.

My one word of advice if you do book The Hotel is to request a room away from the alley, corner if possible.

Have a good time.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Patrick, there is a pool and bar on top of The Hotel. And...a view!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Gee, I thought I must have missed something. Did that open later? I haven't been there since the first year The Hotel and Wish opened, but nobody said anything about going upstairs while we had drinks in the downstairs bar.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all replies. We won't need a pool as hopefully be warm enough to swim in ocean. "The Hotel" probably over our limit of $200.00 for 4 of us. Wish sounds wonderful..general price? Hotel generally needs to be clean, convenient to restaurants, night life. Hopefully will spend little time in hotel..Thanks & any other suggestions hotels, restaurants appreciated. We will be spending first 4 nights in Naples. (First time there also).
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Me & Prince Charming had 2 regular mojitos, 2 frozen "electric" mojitos (w/battery-powered flashing plastic ice cube @ $5/each), 2 entrees, 2 appetizers for $160,. tax & tip inc. Beware Miami restaurants where they will often discreetly add 15% tip so be sure to check.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Tandoori Girl, they only add that 15% to unsuspecting tourists who order drinks with flashing plastic ice cubes!

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Patrick, I loved those stupid cubes b-(

There were some news stories about some restaurants in Miami that only added 15% to the bills of Af-Ams. Oddly, one was the Haitian restaurant we went to. Hmmmm.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:12 AM
GoTravel

:::::raising my hand:::::::

Yes, we also had the cocktails with the lighted ice cubes and my sister and brother in law were visibly cringing.

Patrick, how could you go to The Hotel and not go to the rooftop pool? I'll try and find a link to a photo. Stunning.

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:15 AM
GoTravel

:::::raising my hand:::::::

Yes, we also had the cocktails with the lighted ice cubes and my sister and brother in law were visibly cringing.

Patrick, how could you go to The Hotel and not go to the rooftop pool? For shame, for shame. Here is a link to a photo:

http://www.thehotelofsouthbeach.com/pool.htm