Sorry - Another Weather in Carmel/S.F. Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading the 5-day and 10-day weather forecasts faithfully, but after 10 years of living in a dry, sunny climate where temperatures in the 60s means shorts and open-toe sandals, I can't remember what sea level and humidity is like!

We'll be arriving in California this weekend, spending time in Carmel and S.F. If it's in the 60s, are we likely to want to wear shorts at all? Sandals? (I won't even start on my shoe dilemma.) I know, layering is best, and all that, but I'm having a hard time banishing my summer-weight clothes and shoes...
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:12 AM

All i can say is bring clothes for both. Weather calls for sunny but that does not mean anything for Carmel. I was at the Carmel Beach last Sunday, left my house in Marina(fog and wind capital of the world!) and at the Carmel Beach at noon the fog was rolling in. I was wearing shorts and sandals. I think you are good to go on the sandals but bring pants just in case.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Lexma90, I can't reply for Carmel, but can for San Franciso... My husband is a sandal guy too. Just loves them. We were in San Franciso last summer, and he wore his sSandals, shorts and sweatshirt just about the whole time. He did put on his tennis shoes for Alcatraz and the baseball game. He DID admit that he was "cool" on a several occasions, and had he not taken his sweatshirt he would have frozen to death!! I can't recall him complaining about his feet being cold, but perhaps he just didn't say so. Have a great trip. San Francisco is a lovely city! Vacationmom
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Take both, but I would go with lightweight chinos or similar rather than shorts. More versatile should your plans change, more versatile for the shifts in weather.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:55 AM

We are also headed to Monterey/Carmel this weekend. Sounds like layering is best for the day. What about evenings? I was planning on pants, short sleeve tops, light jacket, and sandals....will I be freezing?
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:21 AM

It can be cool by the coast. And when it gets windy you will really freeze. I'd bring a jacket or even a coat.

You do know that this weekend is the Bay to Breakers race, right?
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:56 AM

For Carmel, I'd advise against shorts and sandals if you're going to be walking around town. Some people do, but they might as well wear a sign that says "I'm a clueless tourist".

Ocean breezes and fog are chilly, so most locals wear lightweight pants or jeans, top, lightweight sweater and/or jacket. Comfortable, good-looking walking shoes are best.

Downtown Carmel has a slightly refined feel to it and you'll fit in and be better received at nice restaurants, shops and other public places if you dress casually, but well.
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, I wasn't intending to wear shorts all the time, but we are planning to spend time at the beach, riding bikes and hiking, and I'd much rather do those activities in shorts. I would be wearing pants in the evenings and in S.F. And at home, I'm a sturdy-sandal type rather than a sneaker-wearer, so I'd rather wear my sandals if possible.

And thanks for the info on the Bay to Breakers - I'll be in Carmel that weekend, but I'm training for my first 10K, the Bolder Boulder, on May 31 (part of my shoe dilemma - I have to take my running shoes along with everything else). So I can share the Bay to Breakers runners' excitement!
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:05 PM

If you are planning dinners in Carmel, do yourself a favor and pack a navy blazer with a nice shirt and wear with nice slacks and loafers. Carmel is not beachy... it's preppy. (IMHO)
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Right you are, mg!
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Can't agree with that, Moneygirl. A polo shirt and shorts/jeans work pretty much anywhere these days. Seriously, everywhere I go (bank employees, theates, fancy eatin' places, church, etc.) I see such a wide range of attire from ball caps to torn jeans to blazers that one could fit in wearing anything clean looking. No two people agree on casual anymore.